Old 09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Rashkae

Default OT: Was PHTML

Rashkae wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> In any case, IE _does_ honour the content type header.
>>

> I created some elaborate tests to prove you wrong (well, elaborate for
> someone who can barely scratch out Hello world) and ended up proving you
> right instead. If the content type header is one that IE recognizes, it
> gets handled correctly. Including text/plain, which gets opened in the
> browser rather than downloaded, even if I give it a .bin extension.
>
> Strangely enough, content type application/octec-stream resorts to
> identification from the file name. so an .html file will get opened in
> IE, whereas firefox will give you the file download dialogue, (with the
> option to open in the browser).
>
> This didn't work nearly so well last time I tested it with IE 4, but my
> bad for spreading such outdated info.

Umm, I meant application/octet-stream. and it seems it doesn't matter
what the file name extension is. I can call it test.exe and IE still
opens it in the browser if it's html.

IE must be sampling the contents of the file to determine it's type if
it does not have an application associated with a given content type.
But in that case, the PHTML file that started all this should have
worked.... so is this behaviour only for application/octet-stream?