Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM
tchomby

Default Ubuntu is slow, mouse flickers in vmware

Hey,
in order to record some Ubuntu screencasts using Camtasia I'm running Ubuntu in Windows XP as a virtual machine, using VMWare. (I need Windows to run Camtasia, I did try creating the screencasts using linux tools but it wasn't going to work, long story.) It works, but the problem is that Ubuntu is quite slow under VMWare, and the mouse pointer flickers whenever something is loading, even though I do have vmware-tools installed. This is an Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine by the way. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Eberhard Roloff

tchomby schrieb:
> Hey,
>
> in order to record some Ubuntu screencasts using Camtasia I'm running
> Ubuntu in Windows XP as a virtual machine, using VMWare. (I need Windows
> to run Camtasia, I did try creating the screencasts using linux tools
> but it wasn't going to work, long story.) It works, but the problem is
> that Ubuntu is quite slow under VMWare, and the mouse pointer flickers
> whenever something is loading, even though I do have vmware-tools
> installed. This is an Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine by the way. Any ideas?

yes, maybe you can provide some more details:
-which windows version?
-which base hardware?
-how much RAM does your machine have=
-how much ram did you reserve for the ubuntu vm?

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 09-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

tchomby wrote:

in order to record some Ubuntu screencasts using Camtasia I'm
running Ubuntu in Windows XP as a virtual machine, using VMWare. (I
need Windows to run Camtasia, I did try creating the screencasts using
linux tools but it wasn't going to work, long story.) It works, but the
problem is that Ubuntu is quite slow under VMWare, and the mouse
pointer flickers whenever something is loading, even though I do have
vmware-tools installed. This is an Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine by the
way. Any ideas?

Do you know that vmware-tools ARE active? What kind of display does
Ubuntu report? Maybe you tried to get Ubuntu to do fancy graphics that
VMWare tries to emulate in software? Does the mouse get completely
captured? Or do you have direct access to the Ubuntu VM without having,
then, to release the mouse to get back to Windows?

Also, did you try installing VirtualBox on your Windows XP machine?
I've been running Ubuntu in VirtualBox on a Windows XP system and it's
very smooth (and VirtualBox comes with host extensions for Linux that
work flawlessly for Ubuntu).

Gilles.

--

Signature Home Chastity

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]

Old 09-19-2008, 04:56 PM
NoOp

On 09/18/2008 12:59 PM, tchomby wrote:
> Hey,
> in order to record some Ubuntu screencasts using Camtasia I'm running Ubuntu
> in Windows XP as a virtual machine, using VMWare. (I need Windows to run
> Camtasia, I did try creating the screencasts using linux tools but it wasn't
> going to work, long story.) It works, but the problem is that Ubuntu is
> quite slow under VMWare, and the mouse pointer flickers whenever something
> is loading, even though I do have vmware-tools installed. This is an Ubuntu
> 8.04 virtual machine by the way. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

From the VirtualBox list, it appears you are using VB now - hope that
works out better.

These might be of interest to you:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreencastTeam/RecordingScreencasts
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreenCasts/Subtitles

That is how these screencasts are recorded:
http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/

The reason for using the above methods are listed in the FAQ:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreencastTeam/FAQ
[Why don't you just use something like Istanbul or Recordmydesktop?]