Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
"Darryl Tidd"

Default Session Startup

Hello all,
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10.* The problem I have has been persistent on both versions, and has to do with starting a saved session on startup.* At one time, in my exploration of Ubuntu, I checked the box in System -> Preferences -> Sessions, on the session options tab that says "Automatically remember running applications when logging out."* I really didn't like the behavior, so I went back an unchecked the box.* No problem so far.* After that, when I log in, I get some programs opening.* For instance, Amarok(no problem), Nautilus, and Pidgin(really don't want this).* I don't want these things to necessarily start up, and I can't figure out how to get them to stop starting up.*

Thanks for all your help.
Darryl

Old 09-18-2008, 03:30 PM
"Dustin Breese"

I think you need to close everything, then go back to that tab and
click "Remember current session". Then, restart desktop and see if
that helps?

Regards,
Dustin

Old 09-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Catalin David

Darryl Tidd wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10. The problem I
> have has been persistent on both versions, and has to do with starting
> a saved session on startup. At one time, in my exploration of Ubuntu,
> I checked the box in System -> Preferences -> Sessions, on the session
> options tab that says "Automatically remember running applications
> when logging out." I really didn't like the behavior, so I went back
> an unchecked the box. No problem so far. After that, when I log in,
> I get some programs opening. For instance, Amarok(no problem),
> Nautilus, and Pidgin(really don't want this). I don't want these
> things to necessarily start up, and I can't figure out how to get them
> to stop starting up.
> Thanks for all your help.
> Darryl
Hey!

I've had this problem too. I believe my solution for this was to log out
and then login again (not only shut down and restart). You can also try
a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart Xorg ... One last thing would be to find
out where the information is stored about which programs to turn on.

Catalin

Old 09-18-2008, 04:56 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Darryl Tidd" <pcsmasher@gmail.com> said:
> Hello all,
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10. The problem I
> have has been persistent on both versions, and has to do with
> starting a saved session on startup. At one time, in my exploration
> of Ubuntu, I checked the box in System -> Preferences -> Sessions, on
> the session options tab that says "Automatically remember running
> applications when logging out." I really didn't like the behavior,
> so I went back an unchecked the box. No problem so far. After that,
> when I log in, I get some programs opening. For instance, Amarok(no
> problem), Nautilus, and Pidgin(really don't want this). I don't want
> these things to necessarily start up, and I can't figure out how to
> get them to stop starting up. Thanks for all your help.
> Darryl

Make sure everything you want started is running. Make sure
everything you /don't/ want started is closed. Go back to where you
were, to System -> Preferences -> Sessions.
On the Session Options tab, click the button labeled, "Remember
Currently Running Applications."
Do /not/ check the box to automagically remember...
Bob's you uncle.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind
them having a bad operating system.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Derek Broughton

Darryl Tidd wrote:

> Ok, so I have finally gotten everything not to start up, with the
> exception
> of a file browser. I closed all applications and checked the box to save
> the session. Logged out and in, and nothing opened up except the file
> browser. I have since unchecked the box, and nothing starts except the
> file browser. Don't know what to do about this one.

Aren't there two options? One to start with the previous session, and one to
start with a _saved_ session. They're not the same thing.
--
derek

Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Darryl Tidd" <pcsmasher@gmail.com> said:
> Ok, so I have finally gotten everything not to start up, with the
> exception of a file browser. I closed all applications and checked
> the box to save the session. Logged out and in, and nothing opened
> up except the file browser. I have since unchecked the box, and
> nothing starts except the file browser. Don't know what to do about
> this one.

If you are putting a check in a box then you are asking the system to
automatically remember running applications when logging out. Do not
check the box! Click on the button below the box which says, "Remember
Currently Running Applications."
After that (you did shut everything down that you don't want started
before clicking the button, right?) log out and back in. I don't think
a reboot is necessary but it couldn't hurt.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Minnesota Atty. Gen. Mike Hatch said he got about 300 of those.
"It's sleazy," he said. "This is not a company that appears to