FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
"Dean C. Cole"
 
Default Blocked UDP ports

*I have Ubuntu 8.04.1 installed. I also have Wine 1.0 and Firestarter
installed with the firewall disabled. Then I install a VOI program
called Echolink under Wine. The firewall test in the Echolink program
complains that UDP ports 5198 and 5198 are blocked. And "of course"
this all works fine on this computer with XP. Ha. Ha. Any
suggestions? Dean
*

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen
 
Default Blocked UDP ports

Dean C. Cole wrote:
> *I have Ubuntu 8.04.1 installed. I also have Wine 1.0 and Firestarter
> installed with the firewall disabled. Then I install a VOI program
> called Echolink under Wine. The firewall test in the Echolink program
> complains that UDP ports 5198 and 5198 are blocked. And "of course"
> this all works fine on this computer with XP. Ha. Ha. Any
> suggestions? Dean
> *

I assume the problem is in-bound. You need to create an in-bound rule
using firestarter to allow for input to port 5198 or allow all inbound
traffic, in which case you could just as well un-install firestarter.

--
+---------------------------------+-------------------+
| Carl Friis-Hansen | Fiskeryd Nybygget |
| http://computingconfidence.com/ | 341 91 Ljungby |
| Phone: +46 (0)372 15033 | Sweden |
+---------------------------------+-------------------+


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Blocked UDP ports

Dean C. Cole wrote:
> *I have Ubuntu 8.04.1 installed. I also have Wine 1.0 and Firestarter
> installed with the firewall disabled. Then I install a VOI program
> called Echolink under Wine. The firewall test in the Echolink program
> complains that UDP ports 5198 and 5198 are blocked. And "of course"
> this all works fine on this computer with XP. Ha. Ha. Any
> suggestions? Dean

What do you mean with "Ha. Ha."?

Maybe you should ask the author of the program for a Linux version
installable as a package for Ubuntu. I know it is possible because I did
make it work about a year ago for a previous version of Ubuntu. However
it wasn't easy to find all the dependencies.

Other than that - why did you install firestarter if you disable the
firewall? And are you sure it is disabled? What is the output of

sudo iptables -L

in a terminal?


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default Blocked UDP ports

Dean C. Cole wrote:
> *I have Ubuntu 8.04.1 installed. I also have Wine 1.0 and Firestarter
> installed with the firewall disabled. Then I install a VOI program
> called Echolink under Wine. The firewall test in the Echolink program
> complains that UDP ports 5198 and 5198 are blocked. And "of course"
> this all works fine on this computer with XP. Ha. Ha. Any
> suggestions? Dean
> *
>

You say the firewall is disabled, but is iptables still up? IIRC,
Firestarter just edits iptables rules. Try shutting down iptabes.


--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Blocked UDP ports

I wrote:
> Maybe you should ask the author of the program for a Linux version
> installable as a package for Ubuntu. I know it is possible because I
> did make it work about a year ago for a previous version of Ubuntu.
> However it wasn't easy to find all the dependencies.

Correction: There seems to be no echolink for Linux. But there is svxlink,
a Linux program for the same purpose: <http://svxlink.sourceforge.net>.
Nowadays there are even instructions for installing it on Ubuntu 8.04.
Sorry if I caused any confusion.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
"Dean C. Cole"
 
Default Blocked UDP Ports

*I still have the blocked UDP port problem. I'm trying to run Echolink
on my Ubuntu 8.04.1 box under Wine 1.0. I have the firewalls disabled
on both my Linux box and my WindowsXP box. Echolink runs under Windows
but complains the UDP ports are blocked when trying to run under Linux.

Dean
*

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Blocked UDP Ports

Dean C. Cole wrote:
> *I still have the blocked UDP port problem. I'm trying to run Echolink
> on my Ubuntu 8.04.1 box under Wine 1.0. I have the firewalls disabled
> on both my Linux box and my WindowsXP box. Echolink runs under Windows
> but complains the UDP ports are blocked when trying to run under Linux.

What did you change after your first post that you would expect any
change? And is echolink supposed to run under wine at all? Did you try to
install svxlink instead which is a native Linux replacement for echolink?


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 02:02 PM
"Dustin Breese"
 
Default Blocked UDP Ports

Use netcat to test udp connections on a particular port to see if they
are really blocked. Then, as Nils suggest, try svxlink.

On one machine, type:
$ nc -u -l -p 9999

On the other, try to connect using netcat to send udp packets:
$ nc -u server.ip 9999
{now type something and see if it appears on the listener side}

Then, flipflop and try again. This should rule out firewall and local
lan issues.

Regards,
Dustin

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dean C. Cole wrote:
>> *I still have the blocked UDP port problem. I'm trying to run Echolink
>> on my Ubuntu 8.04.1 box under Wine 1.0. I have the firewalls disabled
>> on both my Linux box and my WindowsXP box. Echolink runs under Windows
>> but complains the UDP ports are blocked when trying to run under Linux.
>
> What did you change after your first post that you would expect any
> change? And is echolink supposed to run under wine at all? Did you try to
> install svxlink instead which is a native Linux replacement for echolink?
>
>
> Nils
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
"Dean C. Cole"
 
Default Blocked UDP Ports

*Gentlemen, I installed svxlink. It will not get through the UDP
ports. I give up. I've been 4 days trying to release those ports. I
will reinstall XP and return Echolink back to my repeater. I was really
excited about migrating to Linux, but some things are not to be. Thanks
for all the help. You tried.

Dean
*
ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Send ubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> ubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-users digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: ubuntu and music (Derek Broughton)
> 2. No feedback from aticonfig (Job Evers)
> 3. Re: PHTML (Ulin the Tech Mage)
> 4. Re: PHTML (Markus Sch?nhaber)
> 5. problem installing ubuntu 8.10 beta 5 and 8.04 in laptop
> compaq presario (camilo isaza)
> 6. Re: PHTML (Rashkae)
> 7. Re: Session Startup (Catalin David)
> 8. Re: PHTML (Carl Friis-Hansen)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:26:07 -0300
> From: Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>
> Subject: Re: ubuntu and music
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID: <11871061.E2B5dLlRJs@cedar.serverforest.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> (``-_-??) -- Fernando wrote:
>
>
>> Ol? Neil e a todos.
>>
>> On Tuesday 16 September 2008 14:03:47 Neil wrote:
>>
>>> Usually it takes a while before the last version of Wine has reached
>>> the Ubuntu repositories. You might want to add the Wine repositories @
>>> http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb to stay up to date if it is
>>> this important to you.
>>>
>> This is FUD. Really stop it, if you dont know what you are talking about.
>>
>
> _This_ is insulting. Neil's absolutely right.
>
>
>> Scott Ritchie has been making a WONDERFUL job by packing any version (or
>> patch) of wine to most of Ubuntu versions, as soon as they came out, and
>> making them FULLY compatible with Ubuntu system policies. Wine repo cant
>> do that. So please just use the Ubuntu version, that you are going to get
>> very well served.
>>
>>
>> FYI the latest version available is 1.0.0-1ubuntu10.
>>
>
> Not to make light of Scott's work, but that's not even CLOSE to being
> up-to-date. The current version of Wine is 1.1.4. This is what Neil was
> talking about. In fact, if you follow the instructions on WineHQ, you GET
> Scott Ritchie's build of Wine 1.1.4 packaged for Hardy, so apparently it's
> you who don't know what you're talking about.
>
> Now note, Wine does not consider this a stable build - it is, as Neil
> suggested, only for those who want to be on the cutting edge.
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 PM
"William Biggs"
 
Default Blocked UDP Ports

are you and a router ?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean C. Cole" <dean@w5jx.com>
To: <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: Blocked UDP Ports


> *Gentlemen, I installed svxlink. It will not get through the UDP
> ports. I give up. I've been 4 days trying to release those ports. I
> will reinstall XP and return Echolink back to my repeater. I was really
> excited about migrating to Linux, but some things are not to be. Thanks
> for all the help. You tried.
>
> Dean
> *
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>> Send ubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>> ubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-users digest..."
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>> 1. Re: ubuntu and music (Derek Broughton)
>> 2. No feedback from aticonfig (Job Evers)
>> 3. Re: PHTML (Ulin the Tech Mage)
>> 4. Re: PHTML (Markus Sch?nhaber)
>> 5. problem installing ubuntu 8.10 beta 5 and 8.04 in laptop
>> compaq presario (camilo isaza)
>> 6. Re: PHTML (Rashkae)
>> 7. Re: Session Startup (Catalin David)
>> 8. Re: PHTML (Carl Friis-Hansen)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:26:07 -0300
>> From: Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>
>> Subject: Re: ubuntu and music
>> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Message-ID: <11871061.E2B5dLlRJs@cedar.serverforest.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>>
>> (``-_-??) -- Fernando wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Ol? Neil e a todos.
>>>
>>> On Tuesday 16 September 2008 14:03:47 Neil wrote:
>>>
>>>> Usually it takes a while before the last version of Wine has reached
>>>> the Ubuntu repositories. You might want to add the Wine repositories @
>>>> http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb to stay up to date if it is
>>>> this important to you.
>>>>
>>> This is FUD. Really stop it, if you dont know what you are talking
>>> about.
>>>
>>
>> _This_ is insulting. Neil's absolutely right.
>>
>>
>>> Scott Ritchie has been making a WONDERFUL job by packing any version (or
>>> patch) of wine to most of Ubuntu versions, as soon as they came out, and
>>> making them FULLY compatible with Ubuntu system policies. Wine repo cant
>>> do that. So please just use the Ubuntu version, that you are going to
>>> get
>>> very well served.
>>>
>>>
>>> FYI the latest version available is 1.0.0-1ubuntu10.
>>>
>>
>> Not to make light of Scott's work, but that's not even CLOSE to being
>> up-to-date. The current version of Wine is 1.1.4. This is what Neil was
>> talking about. In fact, if you follow the instructions on WineHQ, you
>> GET
>> Scott Ritchie's build of Wine 1.1.4 packaged for Hardy, so apparently
>> it's
>> you who don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>> Now note, Wine does not consider this a stable build - it is, as Neil
>> suggested, only for those who want to be on the cutting edge.
>>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org