Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 PM
bill biggs

Default 64 bit or 32 bit ubuntu

I would like to 32 or 64 bit ubuntu I have a dual core 4g or ram dell ?

Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM
"Mark Haney"

bill biggs wrote:
> I would like to 32 or 64 bit ubuntu I have a dual core 4g or ram dell ?

Uh, what? If I read this right, (and I'm not sure I do), if you have
4GB or more of RAM, then you should go with the 64-bit. With less than
4GB RAM you won't really see a performance benefit going with 64-bit.

However, I go 64-bit regardless, but that's just me.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Mark Haney wrote:
> bill biggs wrote:
>> I would like to 32 or 64 bit ubuntu I have a dual core 4g or ram dell ?
>>

> Uh, what? If I read this right, (and I'm not sure I do), if you have
> 4GB or more of RAM, then you should go with the 64-bit. With less than
> 4GB RAM you won't really see a performance benefit going with 64-bit.
>
> However, I go 64-bit regardless, but that's just me.

What compatibility problems do you run into? I want to run things like
Virtualbox, and I know there were hiccups people ran into using 64 bit
with certain applications before...didn't know what problems people are
currently running into using that.

Seems like the only reason I ran into to run 64 bit were having more
than 4 gig of RAM or using programs with very very very large datasets
to manipulate...graphics/video, or databases. *shrug* things change though.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM
bill biggs

What it is I have installed crossover and I installed it and it not
showing up in the applications like it dose in 32bit and I installed
netbeans 6.1 and I do not think it is working rignt I made a css file in
it I link it but it not working how much ram will I lose if I move to 32
bit ?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
"Mark Haney"

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> bill biggs wrote:
>>> I would like to 32 or 64 bit ubuntu I have a dual core 4g or ram dell ?
>>>

>> Uh, what? If I read this right, (and I'm not sure I do), if you have
>> 4GB or more of RAM, then you should go with the 64-bit. With less than
>> 4GB RAM you won't really see a performance benefit going with 64-bit.
>>
>> However, I go 64-bit regardless, but that's just me.
>
> What compatibility problems do you run into? I want to run things like
> Virtualbox, and I know there were hiccups people ran into using 64 bit
> with certain applications before...didn't know what problems people are
> currently running into using that.
>
> Seems like the only reason I ran into to run 64 bit were having more
> than 4 gig of RAM or using programs with very very very large datasets
> to manipulate...graphics/video, or databases. *shrug* things change though.

About the only problems I have any more are Browser plugin related
(specifically Flash). I use 64-bit primarily because of the fact that I
use large data sets (>5TB) and do a lot of database work and some video
editing.

I kinda look at it this way. The more people use 64-bit OS's, the more
push there will be for vendors to get off their asses and build 64-bit
apps correctly. (Are you listening Adobe?)

Old 09-17-2008, 04:29 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:02 PM, bill biggs <kc8pdr@gmail.com> wrote:
> What it is I have installed crossover and I installed it and it not
> showing up in the applications like it dose in 32bit and I installed
> netbeans 6.1 and I do not think it is working rignt I made a css file in
> it I link it but it not working how much ram will I lose if I move to 32
> bit ?

Please, use SOME punctuation.

As for your question about how much RAM will a 32 bit OS be able to
address: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740786

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM
"Mark Haney"

bill biggs wrote:
> What it is I have installed crossover and I installed it and it not
> showing up in the applications like it dose in 32bit and I installed
> netbeans 6.1 and I do not think it is working rignt I made a css file in
> it I link it but it not working how much ram will I lose if I move to 32
> bit ?

Please, don't top post. It makes it hard to keep the thread straight.
I'm not sure I still understand your problem. You installed what?
Crossover Office? And it didn't put anything in the Menu? Have you
tried starting the apps from the command line? I bet it would work that
way just fine. Someone will have to verify that since I"ve never used CO.

And if you went back to 32-bit you won't lose any RAM. It's just that
64-bit applications get a major performance boost if that amount is
available. I'm assuming of course the latest Ubuntu kernels are built
with PAE enabled. They should be.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:07 PM
"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk"

2008/9/17 Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>:

> What compatibility problems do you run into? I want to run things like
> Virtualbox, and I know there were hiccups people ran into using 64 bit
> with certain applications before...didn't know what problems people are
> currently running into using that.

VirtualBox runs fine for me, including a 64-bit guest since version
2.0.0, with important issues fixed in 2.0.2.

w64codecs contains much less codecs than w32codecs. Other than that, I
haven't encountered compatibility problems with 64 bits; flash,
GoogleEarth, acroread and wine run fine.

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl

Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Knapp

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:02 PM, bill biggs <kc8pdr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What it is I have installed crossover and I installed it and it not
>> showing up in the applications like it dose in 32bit and I installed
>> netbeans 6.1 and I do not think it is working rignt I made a css file in
>> it I link it but it not working how much ram will I lose if I move to 32
>> bit ?
>
> Please, use SOME punctuation.
>
> As for your question about how much RAM will a 32 bit OS be able to
> address: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=740786
>
> --
> Steve

Some English teacher needs to snap this up for there class!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 09-17-2008, 06:33 PM
"Raseel Bhagat"

What it is I have installed crossover and I installed it and it not

showing up in the applications like it dose in 32bit and I installed

netbeans 6.1 and I do not think it is working rignt I made a css file in

it I link it but it not working how much ram will I lose if I move to 32

bit ?

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 11:52 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Mark Haney wrote:

> > bill biggs wrote:

> >> I would like to 32 or 64 bit ubuntu I have a dual core 4g or ram dell ?

*Please do not top-post.
I maybe wrong here but I think your app _may_ not be finding the required libraries.
Try installing the ia32-libs package and see.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

If even that doesn't work try :
$ ldd <your app name here>
This will give you the list of libraries your app references.

See if you have them in the /lib32 or /usr/lib32 directories, else, get them from a 32-bit machines.

I was facing a similar issue but with a different app and doing the above steps solved it.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://raseel.in