Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Wade Smart

Default PHTML

Darryl Tidd wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have an issue when I visit http://www.xplanner.org. Firefox prompts
> me to open or save the file. I don't think this is the default behavior.
> I have goolgled the issue and have found several things, the problem is,
> that the solutions I have found are for viewing PHTML on one's own web
> server.
> For instance, I have seen solutions that call for changes to apache or
> apache2 configurations. I don't see how changing my apache
> configuration on my local machine will help my problem(please do correct
> me if I'm wrong). I have also seen solutions that call for changes to
> php configuration, and understand how these may help, but they haven't
> helped me. I have php5 and apache2 running on my machine.
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
> Darryl Tidd

20080917 0935 GMT-6

Not just firefox. I saved that page that they want you to download. Its
a normal page but it seems they have something screwed up on their end.
jacmorel@yahoo.com is the site owner so you might email them and tell
them about the problem.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Darryl Tidd:

> I have an issue when I visit http://www.xplanner.org. Firefox prompts me to
> open or save the file. I don't think this is the default behavior.
> I have goolgled the issue and have found several things, the problem is,
> that the solutions I have found are for viewing PHTML on one's own web
> server.

And that's where the problem has to be solved: on the server. More
precisely: on www.xplanner.org.

> For instance, I have seen solutions that call for changes to apache or
> apache2 configurations. I don't see how changing my apache configuration on
> my local machine will help my problem(please do correct me if I'm wrong).

Nothing you do on your local machine will change the behaviour of the
server for www.xplanner.org.

> have also seen solutions that call for changes to php configuration, and
> understand how these may help, but they haven't helped me. I have php5 and
> apache2 running on my machine.

You've obviously done your homework, i. e. tried on your own to find a
solution before posting to the list. I highly respect that.
But, alas, in this particular case you've wasted your time. It's the
admin of www.xplanner.org who should have done the research instead of
delivering an HTML page with a content-type of
"application/x-httpd-php". To make things more easily understandable, he
should have chosen a content-type of "utter/nonsense".

If you like, you can contact the webmaster of xplanner.org and propose
that he tries to open his site in a browser himself and ask if he is
able to spot the error in the picture.

Regards
mks

Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Derek Broughton

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> Darryl Tidd:
>
>> I have an issue when I visit http://www.xplanner.org. Firefox prompts me
>> open or save the file. I don't think this is the default behavior.
>> I have goolgled the issue and have found several things, the problem is,
>> that the solutions I have found are for viewing PHTML on one's own web
>> server.
>
> And that's where the problem has to be solved: on the server. More
> precisely: on www.xplanner.org.
>
>> For instance, I have seen solutions that call for changes to apache or
>> apache2 configurations. I don't see how changing my apache configuration
>> on my local machine will help my problem(please do correct me if I'm
>> wrong).
>
> Nothing you do on your local machine will change the behaviour of the
> server for www.xplanner.org.

Nothing? I find that really hard to believe, though I admit I'm having some
trouble myself...

> You've obviously done your homework, i. e. tried on your own to find a
> solution before posting to the list. I highly respect that.
> But, alas, in this particular case you've wasted your time. It's the
> admin of www.xplanner.org who should have done the research instead of
> delivering an HTML page with a content-type of
> "application/x-httpd-php".

I went through this with somebody else a while back, and he insisted his
custom type was correct - and hard to argue with him when IE was handling
it out of the box.

> If you like, you can contact the webmaster of xplanner.org and propose
> that he tries to open his site in a browser himself and ask if he is
> able to spot the error in the picture.

I'd be really surprised if it doesn't work for him...
--
derek

Old 09-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Tipton

Derek Broughton <news <at> pointerstop.ca> writes:
> I went through this with somebody else a while back, and he insisted his
> custom type was correct - and hard to argue with him when IE was handling
> it out of the box.

In this case, however, the URL in question is _not_ handled correctly by IE.
At least my IE6...

Tipton

Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Rashkae

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> Darryl Tidd:
>>
>>> I have an issue when I visit http://www.xplanner.org. Firefox prompts me
>>> open or save the file. I don't think this is the default behavior.
>>> I have goolgled the issue and have found several things, the problem is,
>>> that the solutions I have found are for viewing PHTML on one's own web
>>> server.
>> And that's where the problem has to be solved: on the server. More
>> precisely: on www.xplanner.org.
>>
>>> For instance, I have seen solutions that call for changes to apache or
>>> apache2 configurations. I don't see how changing my apache configuration
>>> on my local machine will help my problem(please do correct me if I'm
>>> wrong).
>> Nothing you do on your local machine will change the behaviour of the
>> server for www.xplanner.org.
>
> Nothing? I find that really hard to believe, though I admit I'm having some
> trouble myself...
>
>> You've obviously done your homework, i. e. tried on your own to find a
>> solution before posting to the list. I highly respect that.
>> But, alas, in this particular case you've wasted your time. It's the
>> admin of www.xplanner.org who should have done the research instead of
>> delivering an HTML page with a content-type of
>> "application/x-httpd-php".
>
> I went through this with somebody else a while back, and he insisted his
> custom type was correct - and hard to argue with him when IE was handling
> it out of the box.
>
>> If you like, you can contact the webmaster of xplanner.org and propose
>> that he tries to open his site in a browser himself and ask if he is
>> able to spot the error in the picture.
>
> I'd be really surprised if it doesn't work for him...

Even IE doesn't handle this site unless you add index.html file to the
URL.. it's just really, really borked.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Derek Broughton:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>> Nothing you do on your local machine will change the behaviour of the
>> > server for www.xplanner.org.
>
> Nothing? I find that really hard to believe, though I admit I'm having some
> trouble myself...

I'm talking about the server's behaviour itself, not about circumventing
the effects this behaviour (like using a proxy that changes the
Content-Type header or whatever).
If you can come up with a generally applicable way how I, just by
fiddling around with my local machine, can manipulate other people's
servers, please tell me. I'd be very interested.

> I went through this with somebody else a while back, and he insisted his
> custom type was correct - and hard to argue with him when IE was handling
> it out of the box.

I have seen this more than once too. Nevertheless it's irrelevant in
this case, since there's no "file extension" in http://www.xplanner.org/
which Internet Exploder could use for it's "we don't care for standards
- it's the extension which tells what type a file has in Windows and
therefore the same must be true on the internet" way of content type
"detection".

> I'd be really surprised if it doesn't work for him...

I'd be surprised if it did.

Regards
mks

Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Chris Jeffries

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 16:30 +0100, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
Darryl Tidd wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have an issue when I visit http://www.xplanner.org. Firefox
prompts
> me to open or save the file. I don't think this is the
default behavior.
> I have goolgled the issue and have found several things, the
problem is,
> that the solutions I have found are for viewing PHTML on one's
own web
> server.
> For instance, I have seen solutions that call for changes to
apache or
> apache2 configurations. I don't see how changing my apache
> configuration on my local machine will help my problem(please
do correct
> me if I'm wrong). I have also seen solutions that call for
changes to
> php configuration, and understand how these may help, but they
haven't
> helped me. I have php5 and apache2 running on my machine.
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
> Darryl Tidd

20080917 0935 GMT-6

Not just firefox. I saved that page that they want you to
download. Its
a normal page but it seems they have something screwed up on
their end.
jacmorel@yahoo.com is the site owner so you might email them and
tell
them about the problem.

I grabbed the headers in the hope of shedding a bit more light - they
look like this

Resolving www.xplanner.org... 216.227.217.49
Connecting to www.xplanner.org|216.227.217.49|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...