Old 09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
"John McCabe-Dansted"

Default pain in the butt

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando
<ubuntu@bugabundo.net> wrote:
> Olá jude e a todos.
>
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 14:27:29 jude ui wrote:
>> I have treid and used , reinstalled ubuntu many times , I find it a pain to
>> install software *WITHOUT THE INTERNET *- so I'm currently using debian

Nothing wrong with Debian

>> because it has over* 21* cds with a HUGE software respitory.

Is the Ubuntu DVD sufficient?

This should have several cds worth of software and is perhaps more
convenient than shuffling cds. (assuming you have a DVD drive)

see e.g.: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/

>> And yes I've tried to install debian packages on ubuntu - the whole
>> toolchain is messed up and I can't install certian software (I need)
>> because dependencies are incompatable.

Installing Debian packages on Ubuntu is *not* recommended.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Rashkae

(``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá jude e a todos.
>
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 14:27:29 jude ui wrote:
>> I have treid and used , reinstalled ubuntu many times , I find it a pain to
>> install software *WITHOUT THE INTERNET *- so I'm currently using debian
>> because it has over* 21* cds with a HUGE software respitory.
>>
>> And yes I've tried to install debian packages on ubuntu - the whole
>> toolchain is messed up and I can't install certian software (I need)
>> because dependencies are incompatable.
>>
>> Is there sombody that can create a software respertory on CD's for
>> people without internet.
>>
>> (How am I on now? - I'm using public computers)

Certainly you can put the ubuntu repos on CD's.. it's the same system as
used by Debian after all. And there are on-line shops that will sell
you complete CD sets.. (This will depend on your country of course)

if you want instructions to create your own. (you can do this, or hire
someone to do this, from a well connected computer, so you then have
DVD's you can carry around.) There are good instructions here:

http://blog.entner.net/2006/08/16/make-ubuntu-dvds-including-everything/

Although, now that I look at it, I think aptoncd is the way to go, much
easier than what I've been doing

Old 09-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Mackenzie Morgan

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 15:13 +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?
(``-=5F-=B4=B4)_--_Fernando _ wrote:
> Olá jude e a todos.
>
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 14:27:29 jude ui wrote:
> > I have treid and used , reinstalled ubuntu many times , I find it a pain to
> > install software *WITHOUT THE INTERNET *- so I'm currently using debian
> > because it has over* 21* cds with a HUGE software respitory.
> >
> > And yes I've tried to install debian packages on ubuntu - the whole
> > toolchain is messed up and I can't install certian software (I need)
> > because dependencies are incompatable.
> >
> > Is there sombody that can create a software respertory on CD's for
> > people without internet.
> >
> > (How am I on now? - I'm using public computers)

What version of Ubuntu? There are DVD sets of the full repos available
for purchase on various parts of the internet if you look around.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo