Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Default USB Storage - deleting files SOLVED

Thanks guys
Summary
Problem description.
Deleting files from a USB stick/MP4 player in Nautilus (Hardy 8.04) did not free up space.
Subsequent actions caused the device to become read-only - reason not known.

1) BEFORE deleting files using Nautilus, turn on the option to delete files (rather than just move them to trash). T

2) Use the above option if what you want to do is clear space. The normal action of the delete key is to move to a hidden trash directory on the device, so no space is freed up.

3) If you get a device is read only message unexpectedly it is probably due to a write error to the device. Unmounting and remounting the device may clear the problem, otherwise, removing it and plugging it back in although drastic may work.

4) If the device was removed before being unmounted it might cause this. In which case, running fsck should fix it.

Next time I get the problem (if I do) I will use the above (unless anyone wants to amend it). In the meantime, I consider this query SOLVED

Thanks again for the help.