Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Michael Kadzioch

Default from kubuntu to ubuntu

Hi all

I am a Linuxuser for many years. I started with SuSE Linux and KDE 1.
Now i am using Kubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.
But i am not longer happy with KDE. KDE 3 is ok, but i don't like KDE 4.

Now i want change my system to ubuntu and i want change to gnome.
But i never use Gnome before for my work. Just only use Gnome from a
live-CD for some little test.

Now i am asking, is it difficult to change form Kubuntu to ubuntu?
Someone has experience with changing from KDE to Gnome?

Thanks for help!

Michael

--
Michael Kadzioch

michael_kadzioch@gmx.de
http://www.kadzioch.net

Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 2:54:35 am Michael Kadzioch wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am a Linuxuser for many years. I started with SuSE Linux and KDE 1.
> Now i am using Kubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.
> But i am not longer happy with KDE. KDE 3 is ok, but i don't like KDE 4.
>
> Now i want change my system to ubuntu and i want change to gnome.
> But i never use Gnome before for my work. Just only use Gnome from a
> live-CD for some little test.
>
> Now i am asking, is it difficult to change form Kubuntu to ubuntu?
> Someone has experience with changing from KDE to Gnome?

There is no problem, I have KDE and Gnome on this machine and can change the
session type from the sign-in page options menu. Have you looked there yet?
Since Gnome is the standard install of Ubuntu, it is likely already installed
on your computer, you would just change the session type to Gnome and then
after your name and password are in, when it asks if you want to make it
default you would just tic yes and you are there! If Gnome is NOT there,
just search for and install "ubuntu-desktop" with your package installer and
it will be! I too like KDE 3 and it is what I use mostly, I check out KDE
4.1.1 from time to time and it IS getting better but not ready for prime time
yet. There were quite a few packages for it a couple days ago so I spent
quite awhile exploring the new system yesterday. Still not ready but much
better!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Florian Diesch

Michael Kadzioch <michael_kadzioch@gmx.de> wrote:

> I am a Linuxuser for many years. I started with SuSE Linux and KDE 1.
> Now i am using Kubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.
> But i am not longer happy with KDE. KDE 3 is ok, but i don't like KDE 4.
>
> Now i want change my system to ubuntu and i want change to gnome.
> But i never use Gnome before for my work. Just only use Gnome from a
> live-CD for some little test.
>
> Now i am asking, is it difficult to change form Kubuntu to ubuntu?

You can use most KDE applications with Gnome, too (but some features
may not work).

If you want to drop all your KDE applications you need to learn new
programs and maybe need to convert your data.

IMHO a good start would be to install ubuntu-desktop on your Kubuntu
so you have KDE and Gnome installed.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 09-17-2008, 03:38 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

2008/9/17 Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org>

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 2:54:35 am Michael Kadzioch wrote:

> Hi all

> I am a Linuxuser for many years. I started with SuSE Linux and KDE 1.

> Now i am using Kubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.

> But i am not longer happy with KDE. KDE 3 is ok, but i don't like KDE 4.

> Now i want change my system to ubuntu and i want change to gnome.

> But i never use Gnome before for my work. Just only use Gnome from a

> live-CD for some little test.

> Now i am asking, is it difficult to change form Kubuntu to ubuntu?

> Someone has experience with changing from KDE to Gnome?

There is no problem, ¬*I have KDE and Gnome on this machine and can change the

session type from the sign-in page options menu. ¬*Have you looked there yet?

Since Gnome is the standard install of Ubuntu, it is likely already installed

on your computer, you would just change the session type to Gnome and then

after your name and password are in, when it asks if you want to make it

default you would just tic yes and you are there! ¬*If Gnome is NOT there,

just search for and install "ubuntu-desktop" with your package installer and

it will be! ¬*I too like KDE 3 and it is what I use mostly, I check out KDE

4.1.1 from time to time and it IS getting better but not ready for prime time

yet. ¬*There were quite a few packages for it a couple days ago so I spent

quite awhile exploring the new system yesterday. ¬*Still not ready but much

better!

I am a Gnome user (Ubuntu) and I have tried KDE 3 and 4 a few times, my Eee PC has KDE at the moment, but not for much longer, since I am going to install Ubuntu Eee on it. I have tried Pupeee and Sabayon for Eee, but I feel lika I want Ubuntu on all my computers, making it easy to switch between them (not that it is hard now, on the other hand).

Personally I think KDE looks too much like Windows and there are a lot of things that I like with Gnome, I can't reallt point my finger at it, it's more like a feeling. However, there is one thing, cosmetic only, but still, that I liked about KDE and that I miss when using Gnome: I want different backgrounds for different deskstop. If that's possible in Gnome, it's at least not intuitive, because I couldn't figure it out.

Another thing I would wish, that I haven't seen in Gnome or KDE (or anything else) is that I could have different icons on different desktops.

It seems to be more desktop settings in KDE, but I don't mind much, since I usually only change some minor stuff, like colours and things like that, then I feel like just using the system for work (or fun), rather than using all my time to design my windows and icons…

I am not sure if this √*s a Gnome thing, but I like the drawers! Do they exist in KDE too? I never looked for them in KDE, strange enough‚Ķ

J.R.