Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Chris G

Default Alarm program - preferably Gnome

Having decided that there's no application out there that can manage
both my calendar/time management *and* my reminder/alarm requirements
I've decided to look for a dedicated alarm program. My requirements
are:-

Must run in the background or be driven by cron so that alarms
will appear regardless of what I'm doing (I will be running an X
desktop but that's the only guaranteed thing, actually not quite,
Firefox is always running too).

When an event is due I want to be able to pop up daily reminders
from a specified number of days before the event and to be able to
stop them when I have 'done' what is required. I'd like the
pop-up (flag, whatever) to be permanent until I acknowledge it,
something like an icon in the Gnome Panel would be OK.

Events need to be specified by date, time of day is unlikely to be
significant. For most things a yearly repeat would be fine (e.g.
a 'birthday' type reminder), I also have several which are
quaterly but I'm prepared to deal with them by setting up four
annual reminders if necessary.

Kalarm seems to fulfil most of my criteria - any other ideas? Is
there something more 'Gnome friendly' or generic maybe?

A PIM or groupware application which can do this might be of interest
but I will *not* be running it all the time so note the first
criterion above.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Karl Auer

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 10:39 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> Having decided that there's no application out there that can manage
> both my calendar/time management *and* my reminder/alarm requirements
> I've decided to look for a dedicated alarm program.

I can't see anything on your list that Evolution doesn't do, and do
well.

> Must run in the background

tick

> so that alarms
> will appear regardless of what I'm doing

tick (unless you are running something full-screen like a movie, and
even then it will probably be visible).

> When an event is due I want to be able to pop up daily reminders
> from a specified number of days before the event

tick (but hit "snooze" rather than "close" to be reminded again). Or you
can just up set a daily recurring event.

> and to be able to
> stop them when I have 'done' what is required.

tick (hit "close" on the alarm and it won't bother you again)

> I'd like the
> pop-up (flag, whatever) to be permanent until I acknowledge it,
> something like an icon in the Gnome Panel would be OK.

tick - the alarm notification will sit there until you close it.
Actually, I'm not sure what happens if you shut down X with an open
alarm.

> Events need to be specified by date, time of day is unlikely to be
> significant. For most things a yearly repeat would be fine (e.g.
> a 'birthday' type reminder)

tick

> , I also have several which are
> quaterly but I'm prepared to deal with them by setting up four
> annual reminders if necessary.

not necessary, Evolutions calendar can handle recurrence at almost any
intervals.

> Kalarm seems to fulfil most of my criteria - any other ideas? Is
> there something more 'Gnome friendly' or generic maybe?

I used kalarm for a while, was underwhelmed.

Evolution is extremely Gnome-friendly. And note that you don't have to
use the email part to use the calendar part. If you add the alarm clock
to the task bar under Gnome, it will integrate with Evolution's
calendar.

> but I will *not* be running it all the time so note the first
> criterion above.

Evolution's calendar will run in the background and remind you as
needed.

Regards, K.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 09:32:39PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 10:39 +0100, Chris G wrote:
>
> Evolution is extremely Gnome-friendly. And note that you don't have to
> use the email part to use the calendar part. If you add the alarm clock
> to the task bar under Gnome, it will integrate with Evolution's
> calendar.

How do I add the alarm clock to the task bar? I can see Clock in my
gnome panel but not an alarm clock. Is there something ti install to
get the alarm clock as it sounds as if it would be very useful.

> > but I will *not* be running it all the time so note the first
> > criterion above.
>
> Evolution's calendar will run in the background and remind you as
> needed.

Yes, I've been palying with Evolution and it does seem to provide most
(all?) of what I want. Thank you.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Knapp

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 09:32:39PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 10:39 +0100, Chris G wrote:
>>
>> Evolution is extremely Gnome-friendly. And note that you don't have to
>> use the email part to use the calendar part. If you add the alarm clock
>> to the task bar under Gnome, it will integrate with Evolution's
>> calendar.
>>
> How do I add the alarm clock to the task bar? I can see Clock in my
> gnome panel but not an alarm clock. Is there something ti install to
> get the alarm clock as it sounds as if it would be very useful.
>

>> > but I will *not* be running it all the time so note the first
>> > criterion above.
>>
>> Evolution's calendar will run in the background and remind you as
>> needed.
>>
> Yes, I've been palying with Evolution and it does seem to provide most
> (all?) of what I want. Thank you.
>
> --
> Chris Green

I use the Kteatime. It is great small and simple. You can run more
than one at a time. I have it on the kicker panel. I bet I use it more
than open office because I use it for all my cooking and other events
that need timing like meditation and pickup times for the kids that I
might forget to do while surfing for 20 minutes.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Karl Auer

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 12:44 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> How do I add the alarm clock to the task bar? I can see Clock in my
> gnome panel but not an alarm clock.

Sorry, it's just "Clock" in the applets selection window. Right click on
the panel, select "Add to panel", select the "Clock", click "Add" then
"Close". Right click on the clock in the panel to configure it (not much
to configure). Left click on the clock in the panel to drop down a
calendar for the current month. Events for the current day are always
shown. Single click on any other day to see the events for that day.
Double-click on any day to bring up the evolution calendar interface,
where you can enter and edit appointments, meetings and all-day events.

> Yes, I've been playing with Evolution and it does seem to provide most
> (all?) of what I want. Thank you.

The daily reminders is doable a third way too - set up a repeat alarm in
the alarms dialogue. Snooze time maxes out at twelve hours, I think, so
you'll need a recurring appointment over the days leading up to the real
appointment, or you'll need to set up a repeating alarm.

Evolution is a perfect match for what you said you wanted. Unless there
are requirements you didn't mention... :-)

Regards, K.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:01:44PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 12:44 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > How do I add the alarm clock to the task bar? I can see Clock in my
> > gnome panel but not an alarm clock.
>
> Sorry, it's just "Clock" in the applets selection window. Right click on
> the panel, select "Add to panel", select the "Clock", click "Add" then
> "Close". Right click on the clock in the panel to configure it (not much
> to configure). Left click on the clock in the panel to drop down a
> calendar for the current month. Events for the current day are always
> shown. Single click on any other day to see the events for that day.
> Double-click on any day to bring up the evolution calendar interface,
> where you can enter and edit appointments, meetings and all-day events.

Aha! Thanks. I have put the clock back into my panel now, I hadn't
discovered the left click action before though, very useful.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Jorge Luis

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Chris G wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:01:44PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 12:44 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > > How do I add the alarm clock to the task bar? I can see Clock in my
> > > gnome panel but not an alarm clock.
> >
> > Sorry, it's just "Clock" in the applets selection window. Right click on
> > the panel, select "Add to panel", select the "Clock", click "Add" then
> > "Close". Right click on the clock in the panel to configure it (not much
> > to configure). Left click on the clock in the panel to drop down a
> > calendar for the current month. Events for the current day are always
> > shown. Single click on any other day to see the events for that day.
> > Double-click on any day to bring up the evolution calendar interface,
> > where you can enter and edit appointments, meetings and all-day events.
> >
> Aha! Thanks. I have put the clock back into my panel now, I hadn't
> discovered the left click action before though, very useful.

You might want to have a look at remind, which has a graphical component
called tkremind. The configuration options are unmatched. I set an
alarm for every Blue Moon that falls on my engagement anniversary (I was
engaged on a Blue Moon). The man page is 56 screens long, just to give
you an idea of how flexible this program is. It will run in daemon mode
and pop an alarm --near-mouse, even if you're working several desktops
away from the calendar. It also alarms in curses mode, in case you work
a lot in the console. And the code is beautiful.

Good luck,

JL

--
Jorge Luis <lists@jorge.cc>