FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 AM
"Ron Ellison"
 
Default Hot Plug wireless Modems

I can plug my Dell modem
into Ubuntu, but I must Load USBSERIAL by manual command.


*


The command is ignored if
USBSERIAL is in Use.


So I must unplug every
device that uses USB-serial,


and then install my modem.*
Then load USB-serial.


*


Then finally install my
other devices.


*


“greg k-h” told
me…


And you should NOT use the
basic usbserial module, but instead use the proper sierra or option module.


*


I have not found a rules
document that explains this or any of the other details.


*


If you have knowledge, on this subject, please share it with
me.


*


Thank You


Ron


*


*







--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Hot Plug wireless Modems

Ron Ellison wrote:
> I can plug my Dell modem into Ubuntu, but I must Load USBSERIAL by
> manual command.
> The command is ignored if USBSERIAL is in Use.
> So I must unplug every device that uses USB-serial,
> and then install my modem. Then load USB-serial.
> Then finally install my other devices.

Can you clarify which module you really mean? First you are talking
about "USBSERIAL" and then "USB-serial" but in the standard kernel
package none of them exist. However there IS a module "usbserial". Did you
perhaps build a special module for your device? When referring to
modules, please take care of exact spelling and remember that file names
are case sensitive.

OTOH, it should not be necessary to load modules manually, that should be
done by udev automatically when the device is connected to your machine.
Maybe there is a rule missing for your device? Furthermore it shouldn't
be necessary to load a module a second time if there are several devices
which use the same module. Do you have to enter options when loading the
module which are specific for your modem?

> "greg k-h" told me...
>
> And you should NOT use the basic usbserial module, but instead use the
> proper sierra or option module.

There is a module named "sierra" and a module named "option". Probably one
of those is meant - did you try to load one them instead? However we can't
tell you which because you didn't tell us what hardware you are talking
about. A "Hot Plug wireless Modem" or a "Dell modem" can be many things.
Well, maybe not if you are familiar with Dell products. To clarify how
your machine can see your modem, please open a terminal and enter the
command

lsusb

while your modem is unplugged. Then plug it in and repeat the command.
There should be one file different. It usually looks like this:

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:c313 Logitech, Inc.

Well, this example is a keyboard, not a serial interface, but the line
looks similar. Copy and paste that line to your mail and we can possibly
help you further. Another option would be to use the ID from the line and
try to find the answer with Google. The ID in the example above would
be "046d:c313".


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Hot Plug wireless Modems

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Ron Ellison wrote:
>> I can plug my Dell modem into Ubuntu, but I must Load USBSERIAL by
>> manual command.

What manual command?

>> The command is ignored if USBSERIAL is in Use.
>> So I must unplug every device that uses USB-serial,
>> and then install my modem. Then load USB-serial.
>> Then finally install my other devices.
>
> Can you clarify which module you really mean? First you are talking
> about "USBSERIAL" and then "USB-serial" but in the standard kernel
> package none of them exist. However there IS a module "usbserial". Did you
> perhaps build a special module for your device? When referring to
> modules, please take care of exact spelling and remember that file names
> are case sensitive.
>
> OTOH, it should not be necessary to load modules manually, that should be
> done by udev automatically when the device is connected to your machine.
> Maybe there is a rule missing for your device? Furthermore it shouldn't
> be necessary to load a module a second time if there are several devices
> which use the same module. Do you have to enter options when loading the
> module which are specific for your modem?

My mind boggles to think that he not only has more than one device using a
usbserial connection, but apparently more than two...

Anyway, it suggests to me that perhaps a simple "modprobe" isn't enough, and
that for his specific modem he needs to supply some parameters that don't
get supplied by default, as you say. Since the other devices seem to work
_after_ he loads the module, it's quite possible that a single modification
in /etc/modprobe.d could fix things. But we need to know what command is
being used to successfully install the module.

> There is a module named "sierra" and a module named "option". Probably one
> of those is meant - did you try to load one them instead? However we can't
> tell you which because you didn't tell us what hardware you are talking
> about. A "Hot Plug wireless Modem" or a "Dell modem" can be many things.
> Well, maybe not if you are familiar with Dell products.

Oh yeah - as with many modems and NICs hardware with the same model numbers
can actually be different inside...

--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org