FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2008, 04:48 AM
"Steve Flynn"
 
Default Audacity 1.3.2 beta is hogging all my RAM on a simple import

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:19 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to import a longish mp3 (about 185 megs) into audacity
> so I can do some simple editing. This isn't new to me, but maybe the
> mp3 file is so long when uncompressed that it's way too large to edit
> within my system space (have amd64, 2 gigs RAM, 2 gigs swap, and
> plenty of space in $HOME.)

Do you get the same issue when using a stable version of Audacity,
rather than a beta?

--
Steve
When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 12:55 PM
"David Fox"
 
Default Audacity 1.3.2 beta is hogging all my RAM on a simple import

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you get the same issue when using a stable version of Audacity,
> rather than a beta?

Well, it's called a beta, but it's the default version that is in Hardy

dfox@newbox:~$ apt-cache policy audacity
audacity:
Installed: 1.3.4-1.1ubuntu1
Candidate: 1.3.4-1.1ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 1.3.4-1.1ubuntu1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status


> Steve

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 04:26 AM
"David Fox"
 
Default Audacity 1.3.2 beta is hogging all my RAM on a simple import

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:55 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you get the same issue when using a stable version of Audacity,
>> rather than a beta?
>
> Well, it's called a beta, but it's the default version that is in Hardy

Further - earlier this evening I created a swap file on another
partition, about 4.2 gigs, and attached the swap. audacity was able to
load the entire mp3 file and permit some editing (my suspicion was
that there was duplicate material in the mp3 that I wished to remove)
and then save the file back out to disk (it's in the process of saving
now).

The data produced by the mp3 is abour 4 gigs worth of .au files - so I
figure that's the bottleneck right there - audacity is trying to keep
all the audio data in memory, even though edits might only be done on
a small portion of the file. This is different behavior I think than
what I was experiencing before (on a smaller platform, and somewhat
smaller source audio - in that case it was CD sized files, more or
less).

I tried converting stereo to mono (after all, it's a talk radio
recording) to save time and space, but that broke, got a segmentation
fault 13 minutes later for my trouble.

And guess what - despite telling audacity to use $home as a temporary
folder, it still tries to write the exported file to /tmp. Which got
full - and another wasted effort. I'll just leave the file as is for
now.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Audacity 1.3.2 beta is hogging all my RAM on a simple import

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:26 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried converting stereo to mono (after all, it's a talk radio
> recording) to save time and space, but that broke, got a segmentation
> fault 13 minutes later for my trouble.

I *think* sox will do that 'on the fly' so to speak and thus doesn't
care how big the file is. If not mencoder likely can do it too. I'm
assuming here it's Audacity that died trying to convert it for you.

As another random thought - how about using mp3split to deal with it
in smaller chunks at a time?

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
"David Fox"
 
Default Audacity 1.3.2 beta is hogging all my RAM on a simple import

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I *think* sox will do that 'on the fly' so to speak and thus doesn't
> care how big the file is. If not mencoder likely can do it too. I'm

I did the stereo to mono conversion using ffmpeg, and it worked well.

> As another random thought - how about using mp3split to deal with it
> in smaller chunks at a time?

Will give that a try - evidently I'll have to work with the file in
smaller chunks.

> Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org