Old 09-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Rashkae

Default usb dial up modems

squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> can anyone recommend a small usb dial up modem
> that works out of the box?
> Many thanks
> Take Care
> Winton

US Robotics USR5637.

Costs twice as much as other USB modems, but as far as I know, the only
widely available USB *Hardware* modem, and therefore doesn't need any
fancy binary driver plug in to work.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Karl Larsen

squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> can anyone recommend a small usb dial up modem
> that works out of the box?
> Many thanks
> Take Care
> Winton

Have you tried Google?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
squareyes

Karl Larsen wrote:
> squareyes wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> can anyone recommend a small usb dial up modem
>> that works out of the box?
>> Many thanks
>> Take Care
>> Winton
>>

> Have you tried Google?
>
> Karl

Been there,
am looking for one I don't need to install any drivers etc,
may have to use it on other people's machines, and serial to usb needs
external
power supplies. Closest seems to be a Zoom, but none available here.
Others listed as Ubuntu compatible
all seem to have problems setting them up, and don't fancy any problems
if I need top connect it to some one else's
computer.
Thanks,
Take Care
Winton

Old 09-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Karl Larsen

squareyes wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> squareyes wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> can anyone recommend a small usb dial up modem
>>> that works out of the box?
>>> Many thanks
>>> Take Care
>>> Winton
>>>

>> Have you tried Google?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Been there,
> am looking for one I don't need to install any drivers etc,
> may have to use it on other people's machines, and serial to usb needs
> external
> power supplies. Closest seems to be a Zoom, but none available here.
> Others listed as Ubuntu compatible
> all seem to have problems setting them up, and don't fancy any problems
> if I need top connect it to some one else's
> computer.
> Thanks,
> Take Care
> Winton

Hi Winton I was using Linux and a telephone modem years ago and it
was a simple rule. It HAD to be an external modem if you were using
Linux. They were were all Serial Cable type then :-)

Today I should think any modem using a USB port would be fine. I
can't see how they could of-load much computer power to the computer. So
those that have a lot of Windows software are just trying to make it
work easy on Windows.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Rashkae

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Hi Winton I was using Linux and a telephone modem years ago and it
> was a simple rule. It HAD to be an external modem if you were using
> Linux. They were were all Serial Cable type then :-)
>
> Today I should think any modem using a USB port would be fine. I
> can't see how they could of-load much computer power to the computer. So
> those that have a lot of Windows software are just trying to make it
> work easy on Windows.

Sadly, that's not the case in reality. By far, most USB modems are
Winmodems that need the Special drivers to run.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Larsen wrote:
> squareyes wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> Have you tried Google?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Been there,
>> am looking for one I don't need to install any drivers etc,
>> may have to use it on other people's machines, and serial to usb needs
>> external
>> power supplies. Closest seems to be a Zoom, but none available here.
>> Others listed as Ubuntu compatible
>> all seem to have problems setting them up, and don't fancy any problems
>> if I need top connect it to some one else's
>> computer.
>> Thanks,
>> Take Care
>> Winton
>>

> Hi Winton I was using Linux and a telephone modem years ago and it
> was a simple rule. It HAD to be an external modem if you were using
> Linux. They were were all Serial Cable type then :-)

Bonus to externals - lightning protection, or at least minor surge
protection. The more separation you have between the incoming line and
the computer the better...at least that is how it was in the days I was
repairing customer systems at the shop.

Best one I saw had a surge strike through the modem (internal) and a
chip on the motherboard had the ceramic die blow a small crater out of
the center where the chip was inside. Turned on the computer to assess
damage and a cherry red glow lit up on the chip (that's how we
noticed...hey...there's no ceramic left on that chip!...)

Neat!

Well, not for the customer, but we thought it was pretty neat to see.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Karl Larsen

Rashkae wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Hi Winton I was using Linux and a telephone modem years ago and it
>> was a simple rule. It HAD to be an external modem if you were using
>> Linux. They were were all Serial Cable type then :-)
>>
>> Today I should think any modem using a USB port would be fine. I
>> can't see how they could of-load much computer power to the computer. So
>> those that have a lot of Windows software are just trying to make it
>> work easy on Windows.
>>

> Sadly, that's not the case in reality. By far, most USB modems are
> Winmodems that need the Special drivers to run.

I did not know that! Boy the USB serial cables must be real fast. So
the thing to do now is buy one with NO Windows CD-Rom. That will be
hard. Again. And expensive compared to the Win-modem price.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Winton I was using Linux and a telephone modem years ago and it
>>> was a simple rule. It HAD to be an external modem if you were using
>>> Linux. They were were all Serial Cable type then :-)
>>>
>>> Today I should think any modem using a USB port would be fine. I
>>> can't see how they could of-load much computer power to the computer. So
>>> those that have a lot of Windows software are just trying to make it
>>> work easy on Windows.
>>>

>> Sadly, that's not the case in reality. By far, most USB modems are
>> Winmodems that need the Special drivers to run.
>>

> I did not know that! Boy the USB serial cables must be real fast. So
> the thing to do now is buy one with NO Windows CD-Rom. That will be
> hard. Again. And expensive compared to the Win-modem price.

Or search amazon or newegg reviews to see if anyone bought a serial
modem and commented that it worked with Linux. I've done that for
cameras and webcams.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Spruil

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:40:29 +0930, squareyes wrote:

> can anyone recommend a small usb dial up modem that works out of the
> box?

Zoom in the UK seel a range of usb modems that they told me worked with
Linux out of the box. They started from about 18. I suppose that
translates to about 35 dollars and I don't know if you'd consider that
expensive. Here it's a pretty good price.

I can't personally vouch for the device, because a friend found a very
old serial modem and gave it to me and that worked fine for free, but the
people at Zoom seemed to me to know what they were talking about.

I think they're sold at Amazon. They certainly were when I last looked.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
squareyes

Rashkae wrote:
> squareyes wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> can anyone recommend a small usb dial up modem
>> that works out of the box?
>> Many thanks
>> Take Care
>> Winton
>>

> US Robotics USR5637.
>
> Costs twice as much as other USB modems, but as far as I know, the only
> widely available USB *Hardware* modem, and therefore doesn't need any
> fancy binary driver plug in to work.

Many thanks to all,
will try and find a supplier here for both USRobotics and Zoom.
I have a spare serial modem, but need a conversion serial/USB cable and
it will still need
an external power supply.
Thanks again,
Take Care