Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Default Using Fedora Hosted Space for Art Team?

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> we've briefly discussed with Mo on the irc, that it might be worth
> setting up a fedorahosted.org instance for the Fedora Art Team. Primary
> purpose would be to host our release graphics, but it could serve other
> purposes as well (e.g. using ticket system for design service come to my
> mind).

Excellent idea. Using git to pull and push graphic is a suggestion given
our experience with echo-icon-theme on fedorahosted.org. Doing so also
means to update wiki page on fedoraproject.org.
A modified echo-artist script will be helpful to and hopefully someone
will be interested to develop a frontend version.

Luya
.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Martin Sourada

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:41 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Martin Sourada a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > we've briefly discussed with Mo on the irc, that it might be worth
> > setting up a fedorahosted.org instance for the Fedora Art Team. Primary
> > purpose would be to host our release graphics, but it could serve other
> > purposes as well (e.g. using ticket system for design service come to my
> > mind).
> >

> Excellent idea. Using git to pull and push graphic is a suggestion given
> our experience with echo-icon-theme on fedorahosted.org. Doing so also
> means to update wiki page on fedoraproject.org.
> A modified echo-artist script will be helpful to and hopefully someone
> will be interested to develop a frontend version.
>
> Luya
> .
I was not suggesting using git (though it would be helpful too), I was
suggesting using the space generally (like the ticket system, for
releasing official tarbals, etc). But, yeah, if it were set up with git,
I'd prepare some set of scripts for that as well :-)

Martin

Old 09-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> I was not suggesting using git (though it would be helpful too), I was
> suggesting using the space generally (like the ticket system, for
> releasing official tarbals, etc). But, yeah, if it were set up with git,
> I'd prepare some set of scripts for that as well :-)

Consider that as complementary suggestion. =)

Luya

Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Ian Weller

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:12:45PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> we've briefly discussed with Mo on the irc, that it might be worth
> setting up a fedorahosted.org instance for the Fedora Art Team. Primary
> purpose would be to host our release graphics, but it could serve other
> purposes as well (e.g. using ticket system for design service come to my
> mind).

This has been brought up before (especially the trac repo) in unofficial
IRC conversations as a way to actually track all of our work. *I*
personally am under the impression that it can help us work faster,
instead of worrying about organizing things on the wiki properly
(however, you still have the same organizational problems with trac,
just maybe not as bad).

I'm personally all for the idea, but I knew there were some caveats that
we should definitely look into before we even think about proceeding.
I'd also like to see Mo's input, of course.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36

Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

we've briefly discussed with Mo on the irc, that it might be worth
setting up a fedorahosted.org instance for the Fedora Art Team. Primary
purpose would be to host our release graphics, but it could serve other
purposes as well (e.g. using ticket system for design service come to my
mind).

It is about released graphics, like a history and a place where one can
find the graphics from previous releases *or* a place where to upload
proposals and work-in progress for the next release?

If we are using only the wiki from there (Trac), what is the advantage
over using the main wiki?
The disadvantage would be poorer discoverability and a need to know a
second wiki syntax.

Do you propose using the ticket system for things like the DesignService
queue?

What do you think about it? Is it worth setting up? What do you think
would be good to use it for? Ideas? Comments?...? ;-)

I am strongly against something which would raise the barrier to entry,
so a NO-NO would be to require git to upload sketches (proposals) for
the upcoming release.

Here is another scenario: we have something like a poster or T-shirt
design and upload it to fedorahosted. If someone want to include it in a
marketing page from the main Fedora wiki, what is he supposed to do?

- duplicate the image to fp.o/wiki
- hotlink the image
- do not inlcude the image, only a link to it

Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 PM
"jude ui"

>wat do you think about it? Is it worth setting up? What do you think
>ould be good to use it for? Ideas? Comments?...? ;-)

What about the organization- maybe there should be catagories for each type of artwork - and maybe since this is mostly a gnome oreinted desktop maybe you guys could can make it look like art.gnome.org website.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Nicu Buculei

jude ui wrote:

What about the organization- maybe there should be catagories for
each type of artwork - and maybe since this is mostly a gnome
oreinted desktop maybe you guys could can make it look like
*art*.*gnome*.org website.

We would absolutely love to have something like this (it was discussed
in the past) but we don't know about any software which could be used
for this infrastructure (we pondered even using the same platform as
art.gnome.org).

Any suggestion?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 14:35 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> > we've briefly discussed with Mo on the irc, that it might be worth
> > setting up a fedorahosted.org instance for the Fedora Art Team. Primary
> > purpose would be to host our release graphics, but it could serve other
> > purposes as well (e.g. using ticket system for design service come to my
> > mind).
>
> It is about released graphics, like a history and a place where one can
> find the graphics from previous releases *or* a place where to upload
> proposals and work-in progress for the next release?
>
> If we are using only the wiki from there (Trac), what is the advantage
> over using the main wiki?
> The disadvantage would be poorer discoverability and a need to know a
> second wiki syntax.

Yeah, transferring just the wiki's does not make sense at all (first is
no needed, media wiki is better than trac wiki, second I feel the main
place for us still should be fp.o wiki). It's propose using it for
things for wiki is sort of inappropriate like tarbals with released
graphics (you know, those I use to build the backgrounds rpms), ticket
system for requesting tasks... Etc. one of the reasons why I posted this
here is to come to some conclusion what might be useful to have outside
the wiki and trac on fh.o provides it (i.e. official releases hosting
place, ticket system and maybe git/hg/whatever repository).

> Do you propose using the ticket system for things like the DesignService
> queue?

Yep. I think it would much more improve the interaction. We could even
(or at least I think so) set up track to automatically send e-mails to
art-list when new task is opened.

> > What do you think about it? Is it worth setting up? What do you think
> > would be good to use it for? Ideas? Comments?...? ;-)
>
> I am strongly against something which would raise the barrier to entry,
> so a NO-NO would be to require git to upload sketches (proposals) for
> the upcoming release.

+1

> Here is another scenario: we have something like a poster or T-shirt
> design and upload it to fedorahosted. If someone want to include it in a
> marketing page from the main Fedora wiki, what is he supposed to do?
> - duplicate the image to fp.o/wiki
> - hotlink the image
> - do not inlcude the image, only a link to it

Dunno implications of either of them, but probably the first two
suggestions would work (I'd prefer the hot-linking).

You can look, e.g. what rel-eng use fedora hosted for as an example,
though we'd have slightly different usage.

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng

Martin

Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Ian Weller

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 02:35:05PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> It is about released graphics, like a history and a place where one can
> find the graphics from previous releases *or* a place where to upload
> proposals and work-in progress for the next release?

> I am strongly against something which would raise the barrier to entry,
> so a NO-NO would be to require git to upload sketches (proposals) for
> the upcoming release.

Agreed. Sketches are already usually uploaded to either fedorapeople.org
or are shoved on our current wiki, and that's how it should be. The git
repo would just be for contingency.

> If we are using only the wiki from there (Trac), what is the advantage
> over using the main wiki?
> The disadvantage would be poorer discoverability and a need to know a
> second wiki syntax.

There is none, other than integration with our git repo, which is not
necessary. (see below)

> Do you propose using the ticket system for things like the DesignService
> queue?

I do, at least. And I have before. The current DesignService makes it
harder to follow conversations between people, while a ticket-based
system keeps things rolling smoothly, and separate from any others.

> Here is another scenario: we have something like a poster or T-shirt
> design and upload it to fedorahosted. If someone want to include it in a
> marketing page from the main Fedora wiki, what is he supposed to do?
> - duplicate the image to fp.o/wiki
> - hotlink the image
> - do not inlcude the image, only a link to it

In this case you'd have to either do the first or the third. Hotlinking
is considered a "security risk" and is disabled. I'm an advocate for the
first one, unless we can come up with an extension to read a file out of
a git repo. (not likely)