Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Default USB Storage - deleting files

Chris Jeffries wrote:
> I have a small MP4 player, which can attach as a USB mass storage
> device.
>
> On connecting, it shows up as media/disk
>
> The following done in Nautilus
>
> In order to make space, I deleted some files - which appeared to go
> smoothly except it did not free up any space.
>
> Googling for a solution, I discovered Ubuntu creates a hidden Trash
> directory (.Trash-1000 in my case) on the storage device. So I
> tried deleting the files from there.
>
> Intially it looked hopeful ('These files cannot be moved to trash,
> would you like to delete them permanently' (I am working from
> memory so these are approximately the words))
>
> However, instead of actually deleting them, it DID move them to
> trash, I saw them before my very eyes disappear as I ask for them
> to be deleted, only to see them re-appear a moment later.
>
> I then tried enabling the Delete option in Nautilus. But then I got
> a message that I was trying to delete from a read only device.
>
> I tried the same thing in CLI both as myself and as root. I tried
> making the owner myself and root (at different times of course), I
> tried making the directory chmod 777, but it still insisted th
> device was read only.
>
> The forums on Google suggested reformatting, but I also knew that I
> had never had this problem on Windows.
>
> So I unplugged the device form my Ubuntu PC and plugged it into a
> Windows one, where I was able to delete the Trash directory and
> recover the disk space.
>
> I have now plugged it back into the Ubuntu PC and the problem seems
> to have gone away for the moment.
>
> My question is this. Is this a known behaviour (I've not found
> anything definitive on it elsewhere) or does anyone have any idea
> what might be happening here, or where I should start to look for
> clues.
>
> Please be gentle with me, I am still not that familiar with where
> to find things on a Linux set up.
>
> Chris.

I have encountered this same problem loading my wife's MP3 player. It
was annoying until I figured out what was going on. I solved it by:

1) doing the deletes in Nautilus
2) opening the .trash folder as administrator
3) going into the two folders under .trash and deleting the associated
files found in both of them

Not elegant but it can be solved.
NP: nothing

Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
"Jason Crain"

On Tue, September 16, 2008 11:36 am, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> In order to make space, I deleted some files - which appeared to go
> smoothly except it did not free up any space.
>
> Googling for a solution, I discovered Ubuntu creates a hidden Trash
> directory (.Trash-1000 in my case) on the storage device. So I tried
> deleting the files from there.

You should be able to open the Trash from the icon in the bottom right
corner. If you empty the trash, it should clear out the trash folder on
your MP4 player.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
"Mumia W."

On 09/16/2008 11:36 AM, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> I have a small MP4 player, which can attach as a USB mass storage
> device.
>
> On connecting, it shows up as media/disk
>
> The following done in Nautilus
>
> In order to make space, I deleted some files - which appeared to go
> smoothly except it did not free up any space. [...]

In my version of nautilus (2.22.3), Shift-Delete can tell nautilus to
delete a file permanently (bypassing the trash folder).

Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Chris Jeffries

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 22:23 +0100, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> Re: USB Storage - deleting files

Thanks for the comments guys. All are worth remembering. However I would
still like to know how the device got to be read-only, and how
connecting it to a Windows PC cleared the fault.

In brief, after various (inappropriate) attempts to delete using
Nautilus (that bit is now SOLVED - Thanks guys) - the USB mass storage
device got flagged as being read-only.

For example rm on Ubuntu was giving ŽDevice is read-only' messages.
After trying various changes of ownership, and permissions with no
progress, I unplugged the device, plugged it into a Windows PC deletd
the trash files and then plugged it back into the UBUNTU PC (During this
time I left UBUNTU running). When I plugged it back into the UBUNTU
machine, the problem had gone away. The device was now read/writable.

At the moment I cannot recreate the read only effect, but next time I
do, I will try unplugging the device from UBUNTU PC and then plugging it
back in (without going to a MS Windows PC), in case it was that that
cleared it, and not the plugging into MS Windows.

If I get any news on that front I will report. In the meantime, if
anyone has any idea HOW the device might have become read only, I would
love to know - and also whether there might have been a way to make it
read write without resorting to MS (for example, I did not tinker with
the dev attributes, only the media ones.)

Chris.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
"Mumia W."

On 09/17/2008 12:30 AM, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 22:23 +0100, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
> wrote:
>> Re: USB Storage - deleting files
>
> Thanks for the comments guys. All are worth remembering. However I would
> still like to know how the device got to be read-only, and how
> connecting it to a Windows PC cleared the fault.
> [...]

That happens when some devices generate write errors. In some cases, the
kernel will flag the device as read-only to prevent any further damage.
Unmounting and remounting the device clears the read-only status.
Although unplugging the device is more radical than unmounting it, the
effect seems to be the same.

Your USB stick just happened to have a write error while you were
deleting from it. The error's timing was just a coincidence.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:21 PM
"Dustin Breese"

Your device was probably marked as "unclean" when it was used last.
You might be able to perform a filesystem check to fix the "unclean"
bit that was flipped:

sudo fsck /dev/sdb1

Just make sure to "unmount" it before next time.

You should also see dmesg logs if it was marked as unclean. I.e.,
something like:
[41743.408663] EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck
is recommended

-Dustin

Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Florian Diesch

Chris Jeffries <chris@candm.org.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the comments guys. All are worth remembering. However I would
> still like to know how the device got to be read-only, and how

That's the defauilt action when the kernel detects file system errors.

> For example rm on Ubuntu was giving ŽDevice is read-only' messages.
> After trying various changes of ownership, and permissions with no
> progress, I unplugged the device, plugged it into a Windows PC deletd
> the trash files and then plugged it back into the UBUNTU PC (During this
> time I left UBUNTU running). When I plugged it back into the UBUNTU
> machine, the problem had gone away. The device was now read/writable.

I don't know how Windows handles file system errors, or maybe the error
didn't occur in Windows for some reason.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Chris Jeffries wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 22:23 +0100, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
> wrote:
>> Re: USB Storage - deleting files
>
> Thanks for the comments guys. All are worth remembering. However I would
> still like to know how the device got to be read-only, and how
> connecting it to a Windows PC cleared the fault.

Sorry, I haven't been reading this thread so I may be out of line, but it
looks straightforward to me. If you remove a usb storage device without
properly unmounting it, it will usually need to be fsck'd. Any device not
plugged in and recognized at boot time, won't _get_ fsck'd automatically.
Any device mounted while needing an fsck, will be mounted read-only (at
best!).

Mounting it in Windows probably ran scandisk. Or it just mounted a
corrupted drive and unmounted it as clean. In which case, it's now
suspect :-(
--
derek