Old 09-16-2008, 04:50 PM
"Chris Rees"

Default OT: Suggestions for Ubuntu Server

> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:36:11 -0400
> From: "Craig Puchta" <craigpuchta@gmail.com>
>
> I have Ubuntu Server 8.0.4 install on my Pentium III, 500Mhz. with a
> 14 GB hard drive. I have the webserver running and I have an ircd
> running. This is not a critical machine and I'm looking for
> suggestions as to what other server software I could install and play
> with. I'm using a DynDns.org domain name also, if that matters. So
> tell me what you would install.

I have an xbox running FreeBSD, and it's damn useful for reducing my
power bill, and bandwidth. My PC runs FreeBSD too, and it is quite
tricky to track updates sometimes; huge downloads etc. My xbox gets
the downloads for it in the night (so I don't have my power drain PC
running), and so I can pull them off it when I need them. I also run
my own irc server (because I can), and am in the process of making
bullet points on how I did it all.

Torrentflux is useful, for when you want that new
Ubuntu/BSD/Openoffice distro, and don't want to leave your computer on
all night. It's got a dead easy HTML interface, though it
unfortunately has a focus on piracy... but it works fine for
everything else too. It's a RAM hog though.

You can run backups of your precious files to it, too.

Oh yeah, I have my own DNS server on it, and a Kerberos KDC (I know
that should be dedicated, that's for my other xbox soon :P)

Also, it's running an IMAP mail server; easiest way to sync files
between laptop/PC.

Chris

Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
"Craig Puchta"

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are your goals?

No specific goals. I have a joomla website and the ircd running, but
its not like it gets used much. I just really want to experiment with
this box and other than the typical httpd, ftp,ssh,ircd I just don't
know what else is availible. Basically its my learning tool.

For Jack, it has 376MB RAM.

Chris, I would VERY interested in those bullet points when you get those done.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Knapp

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Craig Puchta <craigpuchta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What are your goals?
>
> No specific goals. I have a joomla website and the ircd running, but
> its not like it gets used much. I just really want to experiment with
> this box and other than the typical httpd, ftp,ssh,ircd I just don't
> know what else is availible. Basically its my learning tool.
>
> For Jack, it has 376MB RAM.
>

> Chris, I would VERY interested in those bullet points when you get those done.

I would love to know how joomla compares to Django.
There are game servers out there.
Seems you don't have an email server set up yet. That might be fun.
Fight spam, give your friends a free email account.
You could try and stop hackers and then invite people to hack your system.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 AM
"Craig Puchta"

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would love to know how joomla compares to Django.
> There are game servers out there.
> Seems you don't have an email server set up yet. That might be fun.
> Fight spam, give your friends a free email account.
> You could try and stop hackers and then invite people to hack your system.

I love Joomla, though I have never even heard of Django, I will be
checking it out though.

Wasn't sure I could setup an email server without a static IP. I'll
have to check into that also.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Craig Puchta wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would love to know how joomla compares to Django.
>> There are game servers out there.
>> Seems you don't have an email server set up yet. That might be fun.
>> Fight spam, give your friends a free email account.
>> You could try and stop hackers and then invite people to hack your system.
>
> I love Joomla, though I have never even heard of Django, I will be
> checking it out though.
>
> Wasn't sure I could setup an email server without a static IP. I'll
> have to check into that also.

I think you kind of need a static IP in order to route mail for delivery
to your server. Otherwise you're going to have fun getting DNS to
properly update for IP changes without losing email in the interim, or
getting listed as a spammer by RBLs and the like because you're not in a
static IP to reverse-map.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM
"Craig Puchta"

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Bart Silverstrim
<bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> I think you kind of need a static IP in order to route mail for delivery
> to your server. Otherwise you're going to have fun getting DNS to
> properly update for IP changes without losing email in the interim, or
> getting listed as a spammer by RBLs and the like because you're not in a
> static IP to reverse-map.

A DynDNS.org account/domain would not work?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Craig Puchta wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Bart Silverstrim
> <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you kind of need a static IP in order to route mail for delivery
>> to your server. Otherwise you're going to have fun getting DNS to
>> properly update for IP changes without losing email in the interim, or
>> getting listed as a spammer by RBLs and the like because you're not in a
>> static IP to reverse-map.
>
> A DynDNS.org account/domain would not work?

Let's put it this way...is it possible? Yes, I've heard of people doing
it. Is it advisable? No. You're asking for management and headaches with
maintaining it.

Maybe others can share their experiences and advice on the list, but I
wouldn't do that.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
"Alex Montoya"

I cant get a static IP address from my sever stream. Crap! my be thru my mobile phone?

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

Craig Puchta wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Bart Silverstrim

> <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

>> I think you kind of need a static IP in order to route mail for delivery

>> to your server. Otherwise you're going to have fun getting DNS to

>> properly update for IP changes without losing email in the interim, or

>> getting listed as a spammer by RBLs and the like because you're not in a

>> static IP to reverse-map.

> A DynDNS.org account/domain would not work?

Let's put it this way...is it possible? Yes, I've heard of people doing

it. Is it advisable? No. You're asking for management and headaches with

maintaining it.

Maybe others can share their experiences and advice on the list, but I

wouldn't do that.

Antonio Montoya
www.alexantoniomontoya.blogspot.com

Old 09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Wade Smart

Alex Montoya wrote:
> I cant get a static IP address from my sever stream. Crap! my be thru my
> mobile phone?

20080917 0831 GMT-6

I actually know of two local businesses who use both DynDns and NOIP for
their service. The one who used DynDNS used the free service for a while
and finally moved to the paid service. The only problem I know they had
(which I've been staying in touch with them over as I cant get mine to
work) is that they ddclient will not update their ip. After a few months
of this problem they put a windows machine in front of the ubuntu 6.06
one and that fixed the problem for now.

If you can get ddclient to work reliable and update your address, this
would work for a low traffic site.

Wade

Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Wade Smart

Alex Montoya wrote:
> I cant get a static IP address from my sever stream. Crap! my be thru my
> mobile phone?

20080917 0831 GMT-6

I actually know of two local businesses who use both DynDns and NOIP for
their service. The one who used DynDNS used the free service for a while
and finally moved to the paid service. The only problem I know they had
(which I've been staying in touch with them over as I cant get mine to
work) is that they ddclient will not update their ip. After a few months
of this problem they put a windows machine in front of the ubuntu 6.06
one and that fixed the problem for now.

If you can get ddclient to work reliable and update your address, this
would work for a low traffic site.

But on the mail issues, Bart is right on the management problems. You'll
need someone to be watching over that carefully.

Wade