Old 09-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Karl Auer

Default OT: Suggestions for Ubuntu Server

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 17:22 +0400, Alex Montoya wrote:
> I cant get a static IP address from my sever stream. Crap!

Why do you want to run a local mail server?

By the way, this business of static addresses being hard to get (and
expensive when you get them) is one of the many symptoms of the fact
that IPv4 addresses are drying up.

Regards, K.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:04 PM
"Craig Puchta"

I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas/recommendations. I
think I will shy away from email server/DynDNS for now, don't want my
first mail server experience to be a traumatic one.
I think I'm going to just work on securing my server for now.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Knapp

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Craig Puchta <craigpuchta@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas/recommendations. I
> think I will shy away from email server/DynDNS for now, don't want my
> first mail server experience to be a traumatic one.
> I think I'm going to just work on securing my server for now.

You said this was for learning and you do have Gmail as a main email,
so why not try it? You can gave Google redirect mail to the address
and keep a copy, if I remember what I read on Gmail correctly.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Craig Puchta wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas/recommendations. I
> think I will shy away from email server/DynDNS for now, don't want my
> first mail server experience to be a traumatic one.
> I think I'm going to just work on securing my server for now.

Indeed, you'd be layering complication on top of problems if you run a
mail server with a dynamic DNS setup. Spam and virus problems are making
people resort to more and more layers of crap to fend it off rather than
turn to a solution that actually heavy handedly fixes the problem...so
on top of managing problems and glitches because your email has DNS
dynamically shifting (and the MX records), you have things like SPF,
reverse lookups, RBLs probing you, possibly banning you, relay problems,
etc. etc...

You're doing a favor to yourself by either learning the ins and outs of
email administration from someone more experienced and using a static IP
in the long run :-)

Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
NoOp

On 09/17/2008 06:02 AM, Craig Puchta wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Bart Silverstrim
> <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you kind of need a static IP in order to route mail for delivery
>> to your server. Otherwise you're going to have fun getting DNS to
>> properly update for IP changes without losing email in the interim, or
>> getting listed as a spammer by RBLs and the like because you're not in a
>> static IP to reverse-map.
>
> A DynDNS.org account/domain would not work?

Yes, it will work just fine. Set up ddclient properly and you shouldn't
have any problems at all. I use DynDNS w/ddclient for multiple
installations and have yet to have any issues. See:
http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/using_ddclient_with_dyndns_services.html

Better yet, buy a good router that will automatically update ddns for
you - then you won't need to mess with ddclient or any other dns update
software. I use Cisco (Linksys) BEFVP41's - old but they also support
VPN encryption in hardware - and they work just fine with DynDns.
http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/hardware/

Old 09-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Charlie Brune

Craig Puchta wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas/recommendations. I
> think I will shy away from email server/DynDNS for now, don't want my
> first mail server experience to be a traumatic one.
> I think I'm going to just work on securing my server for now.

No need to give up.

I have a cable modem, which gives me a dynamic IP address. I've been
running a mail server (Postfix) for YEARS.

I use the services of tzo.com. My router automatically re-registers my
IP address with them whenever it changes. It doesn't change very often.

Yes, I'm blocked by most RBL lists due to my being on a cable modem. I
get around this problem by routing all of my outbound mail through my
ISP. Doing that is quick and easy. I simply modified the
"/etc/postfix/main.cf" file to contain "relayhost = mail.myisp.net".

Good luck!

Charlie Brune
St. Louis, MO.