Old 09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
"Craig Puchta"

Default OT: Suggestions for Ubuntu Server

I have Ubuntu Server 8.0.4 install on my Pentium III, 500Mhz. with a
14 GB hard drive. I have the webserver running and I have an ircd
running. This is not a critical machine and I'm looking for
suggestions as to what other server software I could install and play
with. I'm using a DynDns.org domain name also, if that matters. So
tell me what you would install.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Georgi Kosev

Craig Puchta wrote:
> I have Ubuntu Server 8.0.4 install on my Pentium III, 500Mhz. with a
> 14 GB hard drive. I have the webserver running and I have an ircd
> running. This is not a critical machine and I'm looking for
> suggestions as to what other server software I could install and play
> with. I'm using a DynDns.org domain name also, if that matters. So
> tell me what you would install.

What I need.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Georgi Kosev <gosho@lanultra.net> wrote:
Craig Puchta wrote:
> I have Ubuntu Server 8.0.4 install on my Pentium III, 500Mhz. with a

> 14 GB hard drive. I have the webserver running and I have an ircd
> running. This is not a critical machine and I'm looking for
> suggestions as to what other server software I could install and play

> with. I'm using a DynDns.org domain name also, if that matters. So
> tell me what you would install.

What I need.
It depends on what you want to do... My server has LAMP (Apache 2,

mySQL, PHP5 w/Suhosin) installed, and I'm currently looking to put a
personal mail server on, since I have a static IP and would like to
know more about mail server configuration and DNS anyway. But the
securing of these services should be well reviewed prior to putting

them online. I have a second Ubu server which serves as a LAN file
server for media and ebook files, but, other than those, I don't have
a use for much else. If the box had more drive space, I'd say give ESX

server a try, since you could build multiple virtual machines and
network them together, but 14GB isn't much real estate such an
experiment unless your virtual machines are restricted to smaller (~1
- - 2GB) spaces. You didn't mention the amount of RAM in the machine, so

I'm not sure what the capacity is there. ESX can soak some memory if
you decide to look into it. A media server might be an idea, but
again, you'll need storage, since the files are minimum 7 to 800 MB
for avi, and upwards of a couple of Gig for iso files.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Jack

- --
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Old 09-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Knapp

Apache 2, a fire wall like firestarter, maybe an email server, ssh
with keys, lighttpd is fun and might be better for a slow system. What
are your goals?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_server_software
--
Douglas E Knapp