Old 09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
"Phillip K. Majewski"

Default Ubuntu SAN

Hello all

*

I am new to using linux for storage and I have been
looking for a good how to or documentation on how to make this happen.

*

Specifically I’d like to know how to:

*

Define a LUN
Share that LUN out as an
iSCSI target to a Windows server for backups.
Is it possible to install the
OS on a partition and create a separate partition for the LUN?
Can the LUN be grown if
needed or spanned across several disks and how would that be done?

*

I have done this previously with a NetApp filer and I know
what to do on the windows side I am just at a loss on what to do on the Linux
end. I downloaded openfiler and tried that, but it does not seem to be compatible
with the motherboard I have been allocated for this purpose.

*

*

Thanks in advance

*

Phil

*

Old 09-17-2008, 04:38 AM
"Grard BIGOT"

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Phillip K. Majewski
<pmajewski@ursanav.com> wrote:
> Hello all
>

> I am new to using linux for storage and I have been looking for a good how
> to or documentation on how to make this happen.
>

> Specifically I'd like to know how to:
>

> Define a LUN
> Share that LUN out as an iSCSI target to a Windows server for backups.
> Is it possible to install the OS on a partition and create a separate
> partition for the LUN?
> Can the LUN be grown if needed or spanned across several disks and how would
> that be done?
>

> I have done this previously with a NetApp filer and I know what to do on the
> windows side I am just at a loss on what to do on the Linux end. I
> downloaded openfiler and tried that, but it does not seem to be compatible
> with the motherboard I have been allocated for this purpose.

You need to be much much informative/specific if you really want to be helped.

In the mean time, I'll give you some clues (may or may not be related
with your question) :

LVM
EVMS