-   -   /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/160961-usr-sbin-console-kit-daemon.html)

Alain Muls 09-16-2008 10:17 AM

/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

Hi

i see a lot of /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon processes run by root. Is this
normal and why are they there?

Tx/Alain

Derek Broughton 09-16-2008 02:30 PM

/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

Alain Muls wrote:

> Hi
>
> i see a lot of /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon processes run by root. Is this
> normal

No. You should only have one, at least most of the time ime.

> and why are they there?

I wish I knew. After hibernate/resume, dbus doesn't always work quite right
on my system, and then I often have trouble with console-kit
--
derek

"Sambit Bikas Pal" 09-16-2008 03:55 PM

/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

I have three machines running Hardy. On each of them I see exactly 61 console-kit-daemons running. They do consume a considerable amount of memory, and terminating them, doesn't really affect anything. Can someone kindly clarify the need of these 61 console-kit-daemons ?

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Alain Muls wrote:

> Hi

> i see a lot of /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon processes run by root. Is this

> normal

No. *You should only have one, at least most of the time ime.

> and why are they there?

I wish I knew. *After hibernate/resume, dbus doesn't always work quite right

on my system, and then I often have trouble with console-kit

--

derek

Sambit Bikas Pal
MS 3rd Year
Indian Institute Of Science Education & Research Kolkata,
HC 7, Sector-III
Salt Lake,
Kolkata-700106

Web http://sambit.ath.cx

OpenPGP Key: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8E57F8B897D372B3

NoOp 09-16-2008 04:36 PM

/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

On 09/16/2008 08:55 AM, Sambit Bikas Pal wrote:
> I have three machines running Hardy. On each of them I see exactly 61
> console-kit-daemons running. They do consume a considerable amount of
> memory, and terminating them, doesn't really affect anything. Can someone
> kindly clarify the need of these 61 console-kit-daemons ?

See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/consolekit/+bug/148454

NoOp 09-16-2008 04:56 PM

/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

On 09/16/2008 09:36 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/16/2008 08:55 AM, Sambit Bikas Pal wrote:
>> I have three machines running Hardy. On each of them I see exactly 61
>> console-kit-daemons running. They do consume a considerable amount of
>> memory, and terminating them, doesn't really affect anything. Can someone
>> kindly clarify the need of these 61 console-kit-daemons ?
>>

> See:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/consolekit/+bug/148454

Sorry, forgot to add:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~mccann/doc/ConsoleKit/ConsoleKit.html

Derek Broughton 09-16-2008 07:07 PM

/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

NoOp wrote:

> On 09/16/2008 08:55 AM, Sambit Bikas Pal wrote:
>> I have three machines running Hardy. On each of them I see exactly 61
>> console-kit-daemons running. They do consume a considerable amount of
>> memory, and terminating them, doesn't really affect anything. Can someone
>> kindly clarify the need of these 61 console-kit-daemons ?
>>

> See:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/consolekit/+bug/148454

Ah! _threads_ not processes. I have 62 console-kit _threads_. Frankly, I'd
just stop using commands that show threads, and the problem goes away.

As Nick Demou tried to say in the bug report: threads are essentially free.
--
derek