Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Pastor JW

Default deleted directory

On Monday 15 September 2008 2:05:55 pm Osman Kemal Kadiroğlu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just deleted a large directory while using Dolphine file manager (Kubuntu
> 8.04 KDE4) and then emptied the waste basket. How can I get the directory
> back?

Nothing to it, just reinstall it from your backup.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:28 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Osman Kemal Kadiroğlu
<okkadiroglu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just deleted a large directory while using Dolphine file manager (Kubuntu
> 8.04 KDE4) and then emptied the waste basket. How can I get the directory
> back?

First you ought to shut down your PC or at least unmount the partition
if you can - the longer you leave it mounted, the greater the chance
of your files being overwritten.

Many years ago I was able to use Midnight Commander to undelete files.

I would probably boot from a live CD, install MC (apt-get install mc),
then read man mc very carefully and google around to 'mc undelete' or
'midnight commander undelete'. I don't know how up-to-date MC is
though - like I said it's been years ago. (And lead me to backing up
religiously, so as not to ever have to do it again

Chris

Old 09-16-2008, 10:20 PM
"Adrian Puente Z."

Osman:

Once I had the same problem and looking around I found this from the
EXT3 developer site:

Q: How can I recover (undelete) deleted files from my ext3 partition?

Actually, you can’t! This is what one of the developers, Andreas
Dilger, said about it:

In order to ensure that ext3 can safely resume an unlink after a
crash, it actually zeros out the block pointers in the inode, whereas
ext2 just marks these blocks as unused in the block bitmaps and
marks the inode as “deleted” and leaves the block pointers alone.

Your only hope is to “grep” for parts of your files that have been
deleted and hope for the best.

I hope you don't have your filesystem on ext3.

Greets,

--
Adrián Puente Z.
[www.hackarandas.com]

"... ruego a mi orgullo que se acompañe siempre de mi prudencia,
y si algún d*a mi prudencia se echara a volar, que al menos
pueda volar junto con mi locura"
--Nietzche

Huella: FBD6 4C36 2557 C64C 1318 70A8 F561 CB6F 4E40 5AFB
http://www.hackarandas.com/apuente_at_hackarandas.com.asc.gz