FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-14-2008, 06:50 PM
"San Goldberger"
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble changing my screen resolution to somthing normale.* Just after installing Ubuntu it was fine untill I downloaded all the updates and driver for my Nvidia graphics card. Since restart system has been teribble to work with. Under SYSTEM PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it only gives me an option up to 640x480 Max


Please any help will be appriciated.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
"Dustin Breese"
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

Try enabling the proprietary hardware drivers --
System->Admin->Hardware Drivers and see if that helps?

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM, San Goldberger <porsche770@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble changing my
> screen resolution to somthing normale. Just after installing Ubuntu it was
> fine untill I downloaded all the updates and driver for my Nvidia graphics
> card. Since restart system has been teribble to work with. Under SYSTEM
> PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it only gives me an option up to 640x480 Max
>
> Please any help will be appriciated.
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

San Goldberger wrote:
> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble changing my
> screen resolution to somthing normale. Just after installing Ubuntu it was
> fine untill I downloaded all the updates and driver for my Nvidia graphics
> card. Since restart system has been teribble to work with. Under SYSTEM
> PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it only gives me an option up to 640x480 Max
>
> Please any help will be appriciated.
>
>
How did you load Ubuntu? If you used a LiveCD was the CD image ok on
your computer?

You say you rebooted and the resolution dropped to 640x480. This is
not normal for a nVidia computer.

Tell us how you loaded Ubuntu and the resolution at each step of the
loading. It sounds like you need to load the nVidia non-Ubuntu files
from the update site.


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-16-2008, 12:07 AM
James Takac
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

Hi

On Monday 15 September 2008 04:50:49 San Goldberger wrote:
> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble changing
> my screen resolution to somthing normale. Just after installing Ubuntu it
> was fine untill I downloaded all the updates and driver for my Nvidia
> graphics card. Since restart system has been teribble to work with. Under
> SYSTEM PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it only gives me an option up to
> 640x480 Max
>
> Please any help will be appriciated.


You haven't given very much detail here but I suspect you haven't enabled your
nVidia's restricted driver. Try going through

System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager

and check the driver for your nVida card if it's not already checked. I
believe then you'll need to either reboot or log out and back in using CTRL +
ALT + BKSP

James

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 AM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

San Goldberger wrote:
> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble
> changing my screen resolution to somthing normale. Just after
> installing Ubuntu it was fine untill I downloaded all the updates and
> driver for my Nvidia graphics card. Since restart system has been
> teribble to work with. Under SYSTEM PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it
> only gives me an option up to 640x480 Max
>
> Please any help will be appriciated.
I switched to Kubuntu because of this same issue. There is no easy way
to correct the problem in Ubuntu as Gnome's screen resolution settings
don't allow you choose what kind of monitor you are using. KDE does.
This is where the problem lies. Actually, its also to do with AMD's
drivers which seem to only work properly only the latest and greatest
Geforce cards. For some reason the X.org graphics subsystems going
through the Nvidia drivers can't figure out what monitor you are using
so it uses Default Monitor as a safe setting. Unfortunately this locks
your resolution to 640x480. I tried many ways to fix this problem but
couldn't find an easy solution. After trying Kubuntu with KDE I found
that I could still select what monitor I had manually thus I don't have
this problem. This really needs to be addressed by the Ubuntu
development community because quite a number of people in this group
have had this problem.

If you don't want to switch to Kubuntu there is a way you might be able
to fix this problem but its not easy. You need to shutdown X.org and
use this text command...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Just choose the default settings until you get the graphics settings,
here you'll be able to input the type of monitor that you have. Others
on this list should be able to give you more detailed instructions.



--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
SypeName: thezorch
AIM: thezorch@gmail.com
Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
ICQ: 343230252
GoogleTalk: thezorch
MSN Messeger: haneymichael@hotmail.com
Free You Computer from the Tyranny of Microsoft www.ubuntu.com


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

James Takac wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Monday 15 September 2008 04:50:49 San Goldberger wrote:
>
>> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble changing
>> my screen resolution to somthing normale. Just after installing Ubuntu it
>> was fine untill I downloaded all the updates and driver for my Nvidia
>> graphics card. Since restart system has been teribble to work with. Under
>> SYSTEM PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it only gives me an option up to
>> 640x480 Max
>>
>> Please any help will be appriciated.
>>
>
>
> You haven't given very much detail here but I suspect you haven't enabled your
> nVidia's restricted driver. Try going through
>
> System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager
>
> and check the driver for your nVida card if it's not already checked. I
> believe then you'll need to either reboot or log out and back in using CTRL +
> ALT + BKSP
>
> James
>
>
I'm sorry Goldberger but some people on this list don't know how to read
people's posts. You clearly wrote that you installed the driver and
rebooted, and after that your resolution was limited to 640x480. Anyone
on this list should then immediately understand that this means the
driver is enabled because this problem has come up several times
before. READ PEOPLE'S POSTS!

To correct this problem in Ubuntu you need to shutdown X.org, and then
you run the reconfigure program.

First you use this to shutdown X.org:
Press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
(Please note, this is where I had trouble. For me this only restarted
X.org instead of shutting it down, but it might work for you.)

If that doesn't work open a terminal and use this:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

You should get a text login prompt, login with your username and
password and at the command prompt use this command:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Follow the prompts, keep the selected options until you get to the
settings for your monitor. Once you reboot and X.org starts you should
be able to change your screen resolution.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
SypeName: thezorch
AIM: thezorch@gmail.com
Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
ICQ: 343230252
GoogleTalk: thezorch
MSN Messeger: haneymichael@hotmail.com
Free You Computer from the Tyranny of Microsoft www.ubuntu.com


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 AM
James Takac
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

Hi Michael

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 02:59:45 Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Monday 15 September 2008 04:50:49 San Goldberger wrote:
> >> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble
> >> changing my screen resolution to somthing normale. Just after
> >> installing Ubuntu it was fine untill I downloaded all the updates and
> >> driver for my Nvidia graphics card. Since restart system has been
> >> teribble to work with. Under SYSTEM PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it
> >> only gives me an option up to 640x480 Max
> >>
> >> Please any help will be appriciated.
> >
> > You haven't given very much detail here but I suspect you haven't enabled
> > your nVidia's restricted driver. Try going through
> >
> > System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager
> >
> > and check the driver for your nVida card if it's not already checked. I
> > believe then you'll need to either reboot or log out and back in using
> > CTRL + ALT + BKSP
> >
> > James
>
> I'm sorry Goldberger but some people on this list don't know how to read
> people's posts. You clearly wrote that you installed the driver and
> rebooted, and after that your resolution was limited to 640x480. Anyone
> on this list should then immediately understand that this means the
> driver is enabled because this problem has come up several times
> before. READ PEOPLE'S POSTS!
>
> To correct this problem in Ubuntu you need to shutdown X.org, and then
> you run the reconfigure program.
>
> First you use this to shutdown X.org:
> Press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
> (Please note, this is where I had trouble. For me this only restarted
> X.org instead of shutting it down, but it might work for you.)
>
> If that doesn't work open a terminal and use this:
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
> You should get a text login prompt, login with your username and
> password and at the command prompt use this command:
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> Follow the prompts, keep the selected options until you get to the
> settings for your monitor. Once you reboot and X.org starts you should
> be able to change your screen resolution.
>
> --
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> thezorch@gmail.com
> http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
> SypeName: thezorch
> AIM: thezorch@gmail.com
> Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
> ICQ: 343230252
> GoogleTalk: thezorch
> MSN Messeger: haneymichael@hotmail.com
> Free You Computer from the Tyranny of Microsoft www.ubuntu.com


Installing the driver and rebooting doesn't automatically activate it though.
In the past I've installed nVidia drivers and rebooted only to see similar to
the original posters problem only to find the driver wasn't actually
activated or enabled. Maybe you can show me where he said it was definitely
activated

James

--
Let him who would move the world first move himself.

Socrates

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM
"Dustin Breese"
 
Default Changing Screen Resolution

Indeed -- that happened to me just last week. I was getting lock-ups
and had to do a hard reboot. Luckily, double checked and the nVidia
Restriced Drivers were somehow UNCHECKED even though I had done it
previously.

-Dustin

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 02:59:45 Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
>> James Takac wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > On Monday 15 September 2008 04:50:49 San Goldberger wrote:
>> >> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble
>> >> changing my screen resolution to somthing normale. Just after
>> >> installing Ubuntu it was fine untill I downloaded all the updates and
>> >> driver for my Nvidia graphics card. Since restart system has been
>> >> teribble to work with. Under SYSTEM PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it
>> >> only gives me an option up to 640x480 Max
>> >>
>> >> Please any help will be appriciated.
>> >
>> > You haven't given very much detail here but I suspect you haven't enabled
>> > your nVidia's restricted driver. Try going through
>> >
>> > System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager
>> >
>> > and check the driver for your nVida card if it's not already checked. I
>> > believe then you'll need to either reboot or log out and back in using
>> > CTRL + ALT + BKSP
>> >
>> > James
>>
>> I'm sorry Goldberger but some people on this list don't know how to read
>> people's posts. You clearly wrote that you installed the driver and
>> rebooted, and after that your resolution was limited to 640x480. Anyone
>> on this list should then immediately understand that this means the
>> driver is enabled because this problem has come up several times
>> before. READ PEOPLE'S POSTS!
>>
>> To correct this problem in Ubuntu you need to shutdown X.org, and then
>> you run the reconfigure program.
>>
>> First you use this to shutdown X.org:
>> Press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
>> (Please note, this is where I had trouble. For me this only restarted
>> X.org instead of shutting it down, but it might work for you.)
>>
>> If that doesn't work open a terminal and use this:
>> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>>
>> You should get a text login prompt, login with your username and
>> password and at the command prompt use this command:
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>>
>> Follow the prompts, keep the selected options until you get to the
>> settings for your monitor. Once you reboot and X.org starts you should
>> be able to change your screen resolution.
>>
>> --
>> Michael "TheZorch" Haney
>> thezorch@gmail.com
>> http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
>> SypeName: thezorch
>> AIM: thezorch@gmail.com
>> Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
>> ICQ: 343230252
>> GoogleTalk: thezorch
>> MSN Messeger: haneymichael@hotmail.com
>> Free You Computer from the Tyranny of Microsoft www.ubuntu.com
>
>
> Installing the driver and rebooting doesn't automatically activate it though.
> In the past I've installed nVidia drivers and rebooted only to see similar to
> the original posters problem only to find the driver wasn't actually
> activated or enabled. Maybe you can show me where he said it was definitely
> activated
>
> James
>
> --
> Let him who would move the world first move himself.
>
> Socrates
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org