Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM
"Zhengguo Xu"

Default USB external disk write permission. What have I done wrong?

Hi,

I formated a 160GB external usb disk as ext3 file system using GParted (logical instead of primary) and when it mounted automatically i don't have write permission. in disk property tab it says the disk's owner and its group are root. googled a bit and issued the following command:

sudo chown zhengguo:zhengguo /media/disk

yes i have write permission now. however, when i umount it, unpluged it and plugged it again, the disk could not mount automatically.

what have I done wrong? How can i get the automatical mount function back and at the same time have write permission? (I am NOT talking about write a line in /etc/fstab to mount /dev/sdb1 or whatever because before i formated the disk, it can be auto-mounted without a such line in fstab)

also, in GParted I couldn't find it anywhere to change disk label. Is it because of the GParted lacking of this function or just because i'm a newbie so...? I'd like this 160GB disk AUTOMATICALLY mounted when plugged in AND appear as "eBooks" (this is the disk label i'd like to use). Can it be done? How? google doesn't help much at this point. if i need to reformat the disk and it can only be done in command-line, can anyone kindly provide the command?

thanks.