Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
NoOp

Default Ubuntu Wireless question: was Ubuntu Studio question

On 09/14/2008 06:17 AM, Michael Falkenburg wrote:
> Hello.
> Perhaps this question should be directed to a Studio-related forum, but
> when you see the nature of the "dilemma" you'll understand WHY I've sent
> it here...
>
> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
> file updates are taking place.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions as to how to solve this deal. Please ask any
> questions that you might need for clarification.
>
> However, if you ask me about WHAT such-and-such information might be
> (like, for the current setup), please also inform ME about how to go
> about finding that info that you need.
> Linux is new for me...can you tell?
>
> Thanks-in-advance,
>
> Michael

Have a look through this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide
to see if you can find anything obvious. Then post back with information
that you tried using that guide + wireless device & system info.

I'd also recommend using google for your device using the search term
prefaced by 'ubuntu' - example: ubuntu +<device>. That generally will
get you hits for the ubuntu forum, this list, and launchpad the Ubuntu
bug reporting system. From those you can generally find out if others
are having similar issues. You can also try a direct search in launchpad by:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
and enter the wireless device in the search box. That may or may not
find anything.

Same for launchpad answers:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu
Note that in 'answers' if you don't find anything for your device, you
can file a question there & someone (generally) will work with you to
try and resolve the issue - similar to the way that this list _usually_
works.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Michael Falkenburg

NoOp wrote:

[...]

I have read through and tried most of what I felt was pertinent to the
situation. I will post the results when I load the results onto a
device which I can use to transfer the information from that box to
this one.

A couple things I did try on a basic level:

Re-positioned the other box in respect to the router antenna,

Uninstalled Network Manager (this seems to have helped the most)...

However, the signal still did drop, only not as soon as it used to.

I'll post as soon as I can...working 3rd shift cuts into my
"putter-time".

Michael

Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Michael Falkenburg

Michael Falkenburg wrote:

NoOp wrote:

[...]

OK, here's what I've gathered so far(sent as 4 different
attachments)...but in trying to decipher and increase my understanding
of it all will require some help.

thanks-in-advance (as usual),

Michael

michael@michael-desktop:~$ lshw
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
michael-desktop
width: 32 bits
*-core
physical id: 0
*-memory
physical id: 0
size: 511MiB
*-cpu
product: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
physical id: 1
bus info: cpu@0
version: 5.8.12
size: 500MHz
width: 32 bits
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr up
*-cache
physical id: 0
size: 64KiB
*-pci
product: 530 Host
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-sis latency=32 module=sis_agp
*-ide
product: 5513 [IDE]
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.1
version: d0
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ide bus_master
configuration: driver=pata_sis latency=128 module=pata_sis
*-isa
product: SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
version: b1
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: isa bus_master
configuration: latency=0
*-generic UNCLAIMED
product: ACPI
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 1.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.1
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
configuration: latency=0
*-usb
product: USB 1.1 Controller
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 1.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.2
version: 11
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ohci bus_master
configuration: driver=ohci_hcd latency=32 maxlatency=80 module=ohci_hcd
*-pci
product: Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master
*-display UNCLAIMED
product: MGA 2064W [Millennium]
vendor: Matrox Graphics, Inc.
physical id: 9
bus info: pci@0000:00:09.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga_controller
configuration: latency=0
*-multimedia:0
product: SB Live! EMU10k1
vendor: Creative Labs
physical id: a
bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
version: 07
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=EMU10K1_Audigy latency=32 maxlatency=20 mingnt=2 module=snd_emu10k1
*-input
product: SB Live! Game Port
vendor: Creative Labs
physical id: a.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.1
version: 07
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=Emu10k1_gameport latency=32 module=emu10k1_gp
*-network
product: RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
vendor: RaLink
physical id: b
bus info: pci@0000:00:0b.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 00
serial: 00:1d:7e:9a:23:ad
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt61pci latency=32 module=rt61pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
*-multimedia:1
product: ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive
vendor: ESS Technology
physical id: c
bus info: pci@0000:00:0c.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ESS ES1938 (Solo-1) latency=32 maxlatency=24 mingnt=2 module=snd_es1938
michael@michael-desktop:~$

michael@michael-desktop:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
af_packet 24196 4
ipv6 275236 8
rfcomm 43280 2
l2cap 25984 13 rfcomm
bluetooth 62564 4 rfcomm,l2cap
ppdev 10372 0
apm 23256 2
cpufreq_userspace 5284 0
cpufreq_ondemand 9740 0
cpufreq_conservative 8840 0
cpufreq_powersave 2688 0
cpufreq_stats 7360 0
freq_table 5536 2 cpufreq_ondemand,cpufreq_stats
iptable_filter 3840 0
ip_tables 14820 1 iptable_filter
x_tables 16644 1 ip_tables
lp 13252 0
snd_emu10k1_synth 8064 0
snd_emux_synth 36480 1 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_seq_virmidi 8576 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_midi_emul 7552 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_emu10k1 146368 3 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_ac97_codec 101284 1 snd_emu10k1
ac97_bus 3200 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_util_mem 5632 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
arc4 2944 2
serio_raw 7940 0
ecb 4480 2
snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
blkcipher 8580 1 ecb
snd_es1938 23972 3
evdev 13312 1
snd_pcm_oss 42400 0
snd_mixer_oss 18048 1 snd_pcm_oss
parport_pc 36516 1
parport 38600 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
snd_pcm 78724 4 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_es1938,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_opl3_lib 13184 1 snd_es1938
snd_hwdep 10628 3 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_opl3_lib
snd_mpu401_uart 9984 1 snd_es1938
snd_seq_oss 35968 0
snd_seq_midi 9376 0
snd_rawmidi 25632 4 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_se q_midi
psmouse 41104 0
snd_seq_midi_event 8576 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
rt61pci 25472 0
rt2x00pci 11264 1 rt61pci
snd_seq 54992 9 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,s nd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi _event
rt2x00lib 22656 2 rt61pci,rt2x00pci
rfkill 8848 1 rt2x00lib
input_polldev 5896 1 rt2x00lib
crc_itu_t 3072 1 rt2x00lib
snd_timer 24836 4 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9612 9 snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_s eq_dummy,snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd _rawmidi,snd_seq
mac80211 168212 3 rt61pci,rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
pcspkr 4224 0
cfg80211 15368 1 mac80211
shpchp 34708 0
sis5595 15628 0
eeprom_93cx6 3200 1 rt61pci
snd 57636 27 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac9 7_codec,snd_seq_dummy,snd_es1938,snd_pcm_oss,snd_m ixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401 _uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,sn d_seq_device
pci_hotplug 31776 1 shpchp
emu10k1_gp 4736 0
gameport 16776 4 snd_es1938,emu10k1_gp
i2c_sis630 8460 0
sis_agp 10116 1
soundcore 9312 1 snd
i2c_sis5595 8456 0
agpgart 34900 1 sis_agp
i2c_core 25344 2 i2c_sis630,i2c_sis5595
ext3 137480 1
jbd 49044 1 ext3
mbcache 9856 1 ext3
sg 36624 0
sr_mod 18084 0
cdrom 37152 1 sr_mod
sd_mod 31232 3
ata_generic 8452 0
pata_sis 15364 2
pata_acpi 8320 0
floppy 62660 0
ohci_hcd 25092 0
libata 160112 3 ata_generic,pata_sis,pata_acpi
usbcore 146924 2 ohci_hcd
scsi_mod 153196 4 sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
fuse 51604 3
michael@michael-desktop:~$

/home/michael/iwconfig listing
/home/michael/iwlist listing
/home/michael/lshw listing
/home/michael/lsmod listing
/home/michael/lspci -v listing
michael@michael-desktop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"VLLK4"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:18:01:F8:34:E6
Bit Rate=6 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
Link Quality=71/100 Signal level=-50 dBm

michael@michael-desktop:~$

Old 09-21-2008, 08:04 PM
NoOp

On 09/21/2008 08:32 AM, Michael Falkenburg wrote:
> Michael Falkenburg wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
snip

>>> Have a look through this:
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide
>>> to see if you can find anything obvious. Then post back with information
>>> that you tried using that guide + wireless device & system info.
>>>
>>> I'd also recommend using google for your device using the search term
>>> prefaced by 'ubuntu' - example: ubuntu +<device>. That generally will
>>> get you hits for the ubuntu forum, this list, and launchpad the Ubuntu
>>> bug reporting system. From those you can generally find out if others
>>> are having similar issues. You can also try a direct search in launchpad by:
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
>>> and enter the wireless device in the search box. That may or may not
>>> find anything.
>>>
>>> Same for launchpad answers:
>>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu
>>> Note that in 'answers' if you don't find anything for your device, you
>>> can file a question there & someone (generally) will work with you to
>>> try and resolve the issue - similar to the way that this list _usually_
>>> works.

>> I have read through and tried most of what I felt was pertinent to the
>> situation. I will post the results when I load the results onto a
>> device which I can use to transfer the information from that box to
>> this one.
>> A couple things I did try on a basic level:
>> Re-positioned the other box in respect to the router antenna,
>> Uninstalled Network Manager (this seems to have helped the most)...
>>
>> However, the signal still did drop, only not as soon as it used to.
>>
>> I'll post as soon as I can...working 3rd shift cuts into my "putter-time".
>>
>> Michael
> OK, here's what I've gathered so far(sent as 4 different
> attachments)...but in trying to decipher and increase my understanding
> of it all will require some help.
>
> thanks-in-advance (as usual),
>
> Michael

OK, we're partially there:

1. Your /home/michael/lspci -v is missing; but if you are going to post
here, please only use:

lspci -v | grep Ethernet

2. You seemed to have missed the other suggestions:
- I'd also recommend using google for your device using the search term
- You can also try a direct search in launchpad

So... now that we know what the device is:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bhardy+%2Brt61pci
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BRT2561/RT61+802.11g+PCI

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=rt61pci&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

This bug report:

and several posts on the serialmonkey forums:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=5
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=7

seem to suggest that installing the backports modules will help. You can
give that a try:

Note: I would *reinstall* Network Manager before loading the backport
modules. Afterwards you can uninstall again if you wish, but I suspect
that NM wasn't your problem to begin with.

1. From a terminal (Applications|Accessories|Terminal - or Alt-F2
'gnome-terminal'):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy

Then reboot.

or

2. From Synaptic
(System|Administration|Synaptic...|Search|'linux-backports-modules-hardy')
right-click on linux-backports-modules-hardy and click 'mark for
installation' and then click 'Mark' and then the Apply button (green
checkmark on the top panel).

Then reboot.

These links might also be helpful:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Michael Falkenburg

Sorry about the delay...like I said, it's a 3rd-shift dilemma.

Here is the lspci -v info:
(oh yeah, before I forget, where in the world does the vertical line
come from - the one you had before "grep Ethernet" - and what does it mean?

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 530 Host (rev 03)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: <access denied>

00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev
d0) (prog-if 80 [Master])
Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS5513 EIDE Controller
(A,B step)
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 128
I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
I/O ports at 03f4 [size=1]
I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
I/O ports at 0374 [size=1]
I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]

00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC
Bridge) (rev b1)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:01.1 Class ff00: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] ACPI
Flags: medium devsel

00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 11) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Memory at efffb000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI
bridge (AGP) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff
Memory behind bridge: e7e00000-e7efffff

00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA 2064W
[Millennium] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Flags: stepping, medium devsel, IRQ 11
Memory at efffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Memory at ff000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
Expansion ROM at effe0000 [disabled] [size=64K]

00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4832 SBLive! Value
I/O ports at d200 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>

00:0a.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 07)
Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at de00 [size=8]
Capabilities: <access denied>

00:0b.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
Memory at efff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1
Audiodrive (rev 02)
Subsystem: ESS Technology Unknown device 8898
I/O ports at dc00 [size=64]
I/O ports at da00 [size=16]
I/O ports at d800 [size=16]
I/O ports at d600 [size=4]
I/O ports at d400 [size=4]
Capabilities: <access denied>

Thanks still,
Michael

Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Michael Falkenburg
<mandcfalk@verizon.net> wrote:
> Sorry about the delay...like I said, it's a 3rd-shift dilemma.
>
> Here is the lspci -v info:
> (oh yeah, before I forget, where in the world does the vertical line
> come from - the one you had before "grep Ethernet" - and what does it mean?

The vertical line is called a pipe |

It's like a joiner between two commands - pass the output of this into
the input of that - connecting them like a 'pipe'

On a typical US 104 key keyboard it's usually located above the Enter
key with the backslash

It's one of the pillars of Unix. For instance

ls -ahl will list in long format all the files in the current directory
grep Fred will look for a line with 'Fred' in it from the information
you pass into grep

Here's an example

==> ls -ahl
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 5 bmckee bmckee 170B Sep 23 14:30 .
drwxr-xr-x 96 bmckee bmckee 3K Sep 23 14:30 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 bmckee bmckee 0B Sep 23 14:31 fred.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 bmckee bmckee 0B Sep 23 14:30 somethingelse.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 bmckee bmckee 0B Sep 23 14:30 test.txt

==> ls -ahl | grep test
-rw-r--r-- 1 bmckee bmckee 0B Sep 23 14:30 test.txt

See how 'piping' the output of `ls` into `grep` let us find just what we wanted?

In his original suggestion to you, piping lspci thru grep to find
Ethernet would have resulted in zero output. It might have been a bit
confusing, but it would have saved a lot of innocent bits that got
shoved through my email for no good reason :-)

HTH

Brian

Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Michael Falkenburg

Brian McKee wrote:

[...]

Well thanks, Brian :-D ...I'm
glad you described WHERE to find it on the keyboard.

I totally overlooked it, since on my keyboard it appears "broken" so
it's kind of like a thin ":". I did not realize that it would result in
a solid vertical.

I also see how that drastically changes the output.

Sorry 'bout the shoving,

Michael