FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Larry Alkoff
 
Default HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up

The main computer "Gutsy" runs Kubuntu Gutsy.
The network is completely down.
Gutsy reports "network unreachable" when I try to ping a local computer
and cannot ping anything remote.
Ifconfig eth0 does not report an inet, Bcast or mask address.


I am running now with the older Feisty Fawn drive in the same computer I
normally use. Since Feisty can access the internet and works normally
in all respects I believe the problem is narrowed down to something in
the Gutsy.

The router and other computers in the house are working normally.

The route command gives a blank table with no entries.

The last thing I did was rebooted.
Before that, I installed tor and it seemed to be working ok for several
days.

A funny thing is that when I reboot Main, at the part where KDE asks for
the password, my normal keyboard does not type. That keyboard is
connected to a usb kvm but I always have another keyboard connected to
the ps/2 connector. When I enter the password on the ps/2 keyboard, KDE
comes up and the usb keyboard works normally. This not a showstopper
but should not be happening.

I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart with no results.

Dmesg reports nothing strange that I can see.

Except for the lack of internet and the funny keyboard stuff, Gutsy
appears to be working normally.

Can anyone help me?

Larry
--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> Ifconfig eth0 does not report an inet, Bcast or mask address.
>
> The router and other computers in the house are working normally.
>
> The route command gives a blank table with no entries.
>
> I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart with no results.

Is your setup static or do you get an IP from the router via DHCP? Have a
look at /etc/network/interfaces - perhaps there is something wrong with
that file. It should look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Only if you are using static routing you will have to change the entries
for eth0 giving it an IP address, netmask and gateway.

Then check the HWaddr of eth0 with "ifconfig eth0" and compare it with the
one you can see if you use Feisty. It should be the same.

Finally you could try "dhclient3 eth0" to get an IP address from your
router. That should be done with "/etc/init.d/networking restart" but it
doesn't hurt to try it anyway - and maybe there is an error message.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Larry Alkoff
 
Default HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> Ifconfig eth0 does not report an inet, Bcast or mask address.
>>
>> The router and other computers in the house are working normally.
>>
>> The route command gives a blank table with no entries.
>>
>> I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart with no results.
>
> Is your setup static or do you get an IP from the router via DHCP? Have a
> look at /etc/network/interfaces - perhaps there is something wrong with
> that file. It should look like this:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Only if you are using static routing you will have to change the entries
> for eth0 giving it an IP address, netmask and gateway.
>
> Then check the HWaddr of eth0 with "ifconfig eth0" and compare it with the
> one you can see if you use Feisty. It should be the same.
>
> Finally you could try "dhclient3 eth0" to get an IP address from your
> router. That should be done with "/etc/init.d/networking restart" but it
> doesn't hurt to try it anyway - and maybe there is an error message.
>
>
> Nils
>


Thanks for your reply Nils.

I use a static address on my local non-routable network.

My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0


iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.4
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254

Should I add an
auto eth0
above the iface eth0 line?

From reading man interfaces I thought 'auto' was only for dhcp
or does it mean 'automatically bring up this interface'?

Larry
--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 PM
"Sam Stern"
 
Default HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com [mailto:ubuntu-users-
> bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Larry Alkoff
> Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 2:35 PM
> To: Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
> Subject: Re: HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up
>
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Larry Alkoff wrote:
<snip>
> >
>
>
> Thanks for your reply Nils.
>
> I use a static address on my local non-routable network.
>
> My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:
> auto lo


Hi Larry,


change the line that reads

auto lo

to read

auto lo eth0

The restart the network.


FWIW the Line reads

iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

can safely be changed to read only

iface lo inet loopback

But it's only a style point.

HTH

Sam Stern
Grand Island, New York, USA



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Larry Alkoff
 
Default HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up

Sam Stern wrote:
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com [mailto:ubuntu-users-
>> bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Larry Alkoff
>> Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 2:35 PM
>> To: Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
>> Subject: Re: HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up
>>
>> Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> Larry Alkoff wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Thanks for your reply Nils.
>>
>> I use a static address on my local non-routable network.
>>
>> My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:
>> auto lo
>
>
> Hi Larry,
>
>
> change the line that reads
>
> auto lo
>
> to read
>
> auto lo eth0
>
> The restart the network.
>
>
> FWIW the Line reads
>
> iface lo inet loopback
> address 127.0.0.1
> netmask 255.0.0.0
>
> can safely be changed to read only
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> But it's only a style point.
>
> HTH
>
> Sam Stern
> Grand Island, New York, USA
>
>
>


Thanks to both Sam Stern and Nick Kassube.
The problem is now solved, mostly by adding
auto eth0
to the beginning of the eth0 stanza.
That is apparently to activating an interface on boot.
After that, internet was active after rebooting.

My interfaces file now is:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.4
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255

I compared the old Feisty interface file to the one above.
I don't understand why the old Feisty interfaces file had no lines for
network and broadcast but still worked perfectly.

Do you suppose these parameters are picked up elsewhere?

Thanks very much for your guidance to solve this vexing problem.

Larry


--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default HELP Gutsy is down and can't get up

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> My interfaces file now is:
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> address 127.0.0.1
> netmask 255.0.0.0
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.1.4
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.1.254
> network 192.168.1.0
> broadcast 192.168.1.255
>
> I compared the old Feisty interface file to the one above.
> I don't understand why the old Feisty interfaces file had no lines for
> network and broadcast but still worked perfectly.
>
> Do you suppose these parameters are picked up elsewhere?

You don't really need those lines as long as you use the old standard for
the network classes [1]. Then the network, broadcast and netmask can be
calculated from your IP address. Private networks [2] 192.168.x.y were
defined to be class C networks with 192.168.x.0 being the network,
192.168.x.255 being the broadcast address and 255.255.255.0 being the
netmask. It doesn't hurt to have those lines but they are redundant as
long as you use keep the standard size for the adress range.

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classful_network>
[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network>


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org