-   -   Catch-22 with Audacity and Jack (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/160092-catch-22-audacity-jack.html)

Lou Katz 09-14-2008 09:24 PM

Catch-22 with Audacity and Jack

I had Audacity working just fine in my system:
Linux puce 2.6.22-15-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Aug 20 20:39:06 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
until I installed something that wanted Jack. Then I got the dreaded:
"Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
message. Mind you Audacity was working up to this point, but the update messeger said that I had to update
jackd (despite the fact that I had completely (I thought) uninstalled it together with any config files and
didn't want it). As soon as I did the update, Audacity stopped working with the above dreaded message.
I cannot find any running programs (I did nothing at all after installing the update - just tried to run Audacity
again)
that might interfere.

Using synaptic, I then marked jackd for complete removal. It does it. I immediately start Audacity. It now works,
but THE $#!%%#@! Update manager is back with the cute little orange icon telling me that jackd needs to
be updated! WHY? I have deinstalled it. It is supposed to be gone, vanished, non-alive (like the parrot).
Why do I have to update a non-installed program? How do I turn off the notification without losing the
other update notifications?

Round and round and round ....

--

-=[L]=-

Lou Katz 09-15-2008 01:11 AM

[...]

Open Source routes around censorship.

Jason Crain 09-15-2008 02:17 AM

Lou Katz wrote:
> I had Audacity working just fine in my system:
> Linux puce 2.6.22-15-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Aug 20 20:39:06 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> until I installed something that wanted Jack. Then I got the dreaded:
> "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
> message. Mind you Audacity was working up to this point, but the update messeger said that I had to update
> jackd (despite the fact that I had completely (I thought) uninstalled it together with any config files and
> didn't want it). As soon as I did the update, Audacity stopped working with the above dreaded message.
> I cannot find any running programs (I did nothing at all after installing the update - just tried to run Audacity
> again)
> that might interfere.
>
> Using synaptic, I then marked jackd for complete removal. It does it. I immediately start Audacity. It now works,
> but THE $#!%%#@! Update manager is back with the cute little orange icon telling me that jackd needs to
> be updated! WHY? I have deinstalled it. It is supposed to be gone, vanished, non-alive (like the parrot).
> Why do I have to update a non-installed program? How do I turn off the notification without losing the
> other update notifications?
>
> Round and round and round ....

Jack is separated into several packages. The main sound server is
called jackd, which depends on shared libraries in package libjack0.
Lots of packages depend on libjack0, including audacity. It should be
harmless to upgrade libjack0 and does not require you to install the
full jack sound server.

Lou Katz 09-15-2008 05:14 AM

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:17:34PM -0500, Jason Crain wrote:
> Lou Katz wrote:
> > I had Audacity working just fine in my system:
> > Linux puce 2.6.22-15-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Aug 20 20:39:06 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> > until I installed something that wanted Jack. Then I got the dreaded:
> > "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
> > message. Mind you Audacity was working up to this point, but the update messeger said that I had to update
> > jackd (despite the fact that I had completely (I thought) uninstalled it together with any config files and
> > didn't want it). As soon as I did the update, Audacity stopped working with the above dreaded message.
> > I cannot find any running programs (I did nothing at all after installing the update - just tried to run Audacity
> > again)
> > that might interfere.
> >
> > Using synaptic, I then marked jackd for complete removal. It does it. I immediately start Audacity. It now works,
> > but THE $#!%%#@! Update manager is back with the cute little orange icon telling me that jackd needs to
> > be updated! WHY? I have deinstalled it. It is supposed to be gone, vanished, non-alive (like the parrot).
> > Why do I have to update a non-installed program? How do I turn off the notification without losing the
> > other update notifications?
> >
> > Round and round and round ....
> >

> Jack is separated into several packages. The main sound server is
> called jackd, which depends on shared libraries in package libjack0.
> Lots of packages depend on libjack0, including audacity. It should be
> harmless to upgrade libjack0 and does not require you to install the
> full jack sound server.

No Joy!

The version of libjack0 which is installed is the most recent one. Audacity runs just fine when Synaptic
shows jackd (0.103.0-6ubuntu1) as not installed, but the little orange icon want's me to 'upgrade'
jackd to 0.103.0-6ubuntu1, even though it is not installed. If I do the upgrade, the jackd gets
installed, the icon goes away and I no longer can get sound out, with the uniformative
"Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
message. Deinstalling jackd allows sound to come out.

psax in the two situations shows no differences. Bah!

I could fix the Update manager the way my brother dealt with the oil light in his car coming on - he
disconnected the oil light.

-=[L]=-
Quandam Factotem

"Mumia W." 09-15-2008 06:57 AM

On 09/15/2008 12:14 AM, Lou Katz wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:17:34PM -0500, Jason Crain wrote:
>> Jack is separated into several packages. The main sound server is
>> called jackd, which depends on shared libraries in package libjack0.
>> Lots of packages depend on libjack0, including audacity. It should be
>> harmless to upgrade libjack0 and does not require you to install the
>> full jack sound server.
>
> No Joy!
>
> The version of libjack0 which is installed is the most recent one. Audacity runs just fine when Synaptic
> shows jackd (0.103.0-6ubuntu1) as not installed, but the little orange icon want's me to 'upgrade'
> jackd to 0.103.0-6ubuntu1, even though it is not installed. If I do the upgrade, the jackd gets
> installed, the icon goes away and I no longer can get sound out, with the uniformative
> "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
> message. Deinstalling jackd allows sound to come out.
>
> psax in the two situations shows no differences. Bah!
>
> I could fix the Update manager the way my brother dealt with the oil light in his car coming on - he
> disconnected the oil light.

You must be running Intrepid because jackd 0.103.0-6ubuntu1 is not an
option for Hardy. I recommend using Aptitude's interactive interface to
find out what package on your system requires jackd. Or you can use this
non-interactive command:

aptitude why jackd

I think that should show you what packages might require jackd to be
installed.

BTW, does your brother's car still run? ;-)

Karl Larsen 09-15-2008 11:37 AM

Lou Katz wrote:
> I had Audacity working just fine in my system:
> Linux puce 2.6.22-15-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Aug 20 20:39:06 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> until I installed something that wanted Jack. Then I got the dreaded:
> "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
> message. Mind you Audacity was working up to this point, but the update messeger said that I had to update
> jackd (despite the fact that I had completely (I thought) uninstalled it together with any config files and
> didn't want it). As soon as I did the update, Audacity stopped working with the above dreaded message.
> I cannot find any running programs (I did nothing at all after installing the update - just tried to run Audacity
> again)
> that might interfere.
>
> Using synaptic, I then marked jackd for complete removal. It does it. I immediately start Audacity. It now works,
> but THE $#!%%#@! Update manager is back with the cute little orange icon telling me that jackd needs to
> be updated! WHY? I have deinstalled it. It is supposed to be gone, vanished, non-alive (like the parrot).
> Why do I have to update a non-installed program? How do I turn off the notification without losing the
> other update notifications?
>
> Round and round and round ....

Well I noticed my audio is dying. It was working fine up to last
week. I checked and jack is installed on my computer as well. My
problems are that the VLC Player is broken. It stopped working with
audio and then stopped closing properly. I think the two are related.
And pps shows with audio do not have them now.

I do not remember getting jack but it appears I will delete it too.
Thanks for the fix and your experience. I have always been worried by
Pulse Audio. It is working better but...

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Karl Larsen 09-15-2008 11:45 AM

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 09/15/2008 12:14 AM, Lou Katz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:17:34PM -0500, Jason Crain wrote:
>>
>>> Jack is separated into several packages. The main sound server is
>>> called jackd, which depends on shared libraries in package libjack0.
>>> Lots of packages depend on libjack0, including audacity. It should be
>>> harmless to upgrade libjack0 and does not require you to install the
>>> full jack sound server.
>>>
>> No Joy!
>>
>> The version of libjack0 which is installed is the most recent one. Audacity runs just fine when Synaptic
>> shows jackd (0.103.0-6ubuntu1) as not installed, but the little orange icon want's me to 'upgrade'
>> jackd to 0.103.0-6ubuntu1, even though it is not installed. If I do the upgrade, the jackd gets
>> installed, the icon goes away and I no longer can get sound out, with the uniformative
>> "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
>> message. Deinstalling jackd allows sound to come out.
>>
>> psax in the two situations shows no differences. Bah!
>>
>> I could fix the Update manager the way my brother dealt with the oil light in his car coming on - he
>> disconnected the oil light.
>>

> You must be running Intrepid because jackd 0.103.0-6ubuntu1 is not an
> option for Hardy. I recommend using Aptitude's interactive interface to
> find out what package on your system requires jackd. Or you can use this
> non-interactive command:
>
> aptitude why jackd
>
> I think that should show you what packages might require jackd to be
> installed.
>
> BTW, does your brother's car still run? ;-)

It works. I got this:

karl@karl-hardy:~$ aptitude why jackd
i gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad Depends libjack0 (>= 0.109.2)
i A libjack0 Suggests jackd (= 0.109.2-1ubuntu1)
karl@karl-hardy:~$

It is there and working. My sound has stopped almost completely.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Karl Larsen 09-15-2008 12:28 PM

Lou Katz wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:17:34PM -0500, Jason Crain wrote:
>
>> Lou Katz wrote:
>>
>>> I had Audacity working just fine in my system:
>>> Linux puce 2.6.22-15-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Aug 20 20:39:06 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Big Snip

My problem is different. I check and have many jack libs but not
jackd installed. This makes my sound failure not one caused by jackd.
But the failure is real. My sound is almost all gone now. And it was
working fine on Hardy with all the updates.

Where can I find a list of updates on my computer?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Pastor JW Olson 09-15-2008 03:22 PM

On Sunday 14 September 2008 11:57:32 pm Mumia W. wrote:
> On 09/15/2008 12:14 AM, Lou Katz wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:17:34PM -0500, Jason Crain wrote:
> >> Jack is separated into several packages. The main sound server is
> >> called jackd, which depends on shared libraries in package libjack0.
> >> Lots of packages depend on libjack0, including audacity. It should be
> >> harmless to upgrade libjack0 and does not require you to install the
> >> full jack sound server.
> >
> > No Joy!
> >
> > The version of libjack0 which is installed is the most recent one.
> > Audacity runs just fine when Synaptic shows jackd (0.103.0-6ubuntu1) as
> > not installed, but the little orange icon want's me to 'upgrade' jackd to
> > 0.103.0-6ubuntu1, even though it is not installed. If I do the upgrade,
> > the jackd gets installed, the icon goes away and I no longer can get
> > sound out, with the uniformative "Error while opening sound device.
> > Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
> > message. Deinstalling jackd allows sound to come out.
> >
> > psax in the two situations shows no differences. Bah!
> >
> > I could fix the Update manager the way my brother dealt with the oil
> > light in his car coming on - he disconnected the oil light.
>
> You must be running Intrepid because jackd 0.103.0-6ubuntu1 is not an
> option for Hardy. I recommend using Aptitude's interactive interface to
> find out what package on your system requires jackd. Or you can use this
> non-interactive command:

I'm puzzled. According to my synaptic package manager, the jackd showing for
my Hardy install is 0.109.2-1ubuntu1, what does PulseAudio use? ...since it
is said to contain the daemon jackd as well. Then too,
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad says "Depends libjack0 (>= 0.109.2)"

> aptitude why jackd

~$ aptitude why jackd
i gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad Depends libjack0 (>= 0.109.2)
i A libjack0 Suggests jackd (= 0.109.2-1ubuntu1)

> I think that should show you what packages might require jackd to be
> installed.
>
> BTW, does your brother's car still run? ;-)

The oil light requires as little as 3 lbs pressure to turn off so I'd think it
would likely not!! :)

"Johnny Rosenberg" 09-15-2008 04:06 PM

2008/9/15 Lou Katz <ubuntu@metron.com>

[...]

-*I had a problem similar to this (if not even exactly the same). I had problems with Audacity. Either there was no sound or I got an error message, exactly like yours (but in Swedish). Finally I got tired of the whole thing so I installed Ubuntu 8.04 from scratch and loaded my backup back (my personal files and some settings). Now Audacity worked perfectly, until yesterday when I installed jackd. First I didn't see the connection, but after a while I came to the conclusion that I should uninstall jackd to see what happens. I did that and now Audacity worked agan!
I am planning to install Ardour and as far as I know I have to install Jack for that, so I am not really sure how to solve this problem. Is it possible to have Ardour and Audacity installed and working at the same time? I would be interested to know how.
J.R.