Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
NoOp

Default Help! Can't get back into WinXP-- Error 13: Invalid...

On 09/14/2008 01:51 PM, NoOp wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to include my own advise for first making a backup!
See below for changes:

> Sure. Providing that you've done _nothing else_ since following those
> instructions do this:
>
> 1. Startup Ubuntu as usual
> 2. Open a terminal (Applications|Accessories|Terminal)
> 3. Enter:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst~ /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup

> sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.bad
> sudo mv /boot/grub/menu.lst~ /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> Then exit the terminal and reboot. You should have your previous grub
> menu and be able to dual boot to WinXP as you did previously.
>
> Alternately, you can use gedit to open the gedit backup file:
>
> gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst~
>
> [Note that is /boot/grub/menu.lst~ not /boot/grub/menu.lst]

Save the file using 'File Save As' to /boot/grub/menu.list.backup
Now save the file using 'File Save As' to /boot/grub/menu.list