Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk"

Default GSM modems supported by network-manager-0.7 - help!

I am considering buying iPlus (internet access from a Polish GSM
provider Polkomtel), and I have trouble predicting which GSM modem
would work with network-manager-0.7 on Hardy.

I want to use network-manager and not pppd or wicd; I want
GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA (HSPA might be useful in future); ExpressCard or
PCMCIA is preferred, USB is acceptable.

iPlus provides a small choice of modems
<http://www1.plus.pl/si/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiPhonesListCmd?catalogId=1000000002&categoryId=10 00000016&viewId=2&storeId=10001>:
- Huawei E800 (ExpressCard)
- ZTE MF335 (ExpressCard)
- Huawei E630 (PCMCIA)
- Huawei E870 (HSPA, ExpressCard)
- Option Icon 225 (USB)
- Huawei E272 (HSPA, USB)
- Huawei E220 (USB)

There is some Ubuntu compatibility list at
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G>, but all the
above modems are not on the list (not even with an "unknown" status)
except Huawei E220 (which works "with some tweakage"). Googling for
success stories did not bring anything interesting - there are only
problem stories.

I suppose I could buy a modem myself, and take only a SIM card from
Polkomtel, but I still don't know which modem to choose - not because
I have too many to choose from, but because I see nothing which is
known to work and which I could buy in Poland.

So I am asking here, which GSM modem do you recommend? Do anything
from the above list work with nm-0.7? If not from this list, something
I could buy in Poland?

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl

Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
André Lemos

I know FOR A FACT that Huawei E220 works with no "tweakage" in Intrepid. :-)

Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Dan Williams

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 20:48 +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> I am considering buying iPlus (internet access from a Polish GSM
> provider Polkomtel), and I have trouble predicting which GSM modem
> would work with network-manager-0.7 on Hardy.
>
> I want to use network-manager and not pppd or wicd; I want
> GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA (HSPA might be useful in future); ExpressCard or
> PCMCIA is preferred, USB is acceptable.
>
> iPlus provides a small choice of modems
> <http://www1.plus.pl/si/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiPhonesListCmd?catalogId=1000000002&categoryId=10 00000016&viewId=2&storeId=10001>:
> - Huawei E800 (ExpressCard)
> - ZTE MF335 (ExpressCard)
> - Huawei E630 (PCMCIA)
> - Huawei E870 (HSPA, ExpressCard)
> - Option Icon 225 (USB)

I have a 225 (thanks Option!). It works. I used it to add support for
newer Option cards to NetworkManager. If it's busted in any way, I'll
fix it since I have the hardware.

dan

Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Alexander Sack

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:56:04AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 20:48 +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> > I am considering buying iPlus (internet access from a Polish GSM
> > provider Polkomtel), and I have trouble predicting which GSM modem
> > would work with network-manager-0.7 on Hardy.
> >
> > I want to use network-manager and not pppd or wicd; I want
> > GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA (HSPA might be useful in future); ExpressCard or
> > PCMCIA is preferred, USB is acceptable.
> >
> > iPlus provides a small choice of modems
> > <http://www1.plus.pl/si/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiPhonesListCmd?catalogId=1000000002&categoryId=10 00000016&viewId=2&storeId=10001>:
> > - Huawei E800 (ExpressCard)
> > - ZTE MF335 (ExpressCard)
> > - Huawei E630 (PCMCIA)
> > - Huawei E870 (HSPA, ExpressCard)
> > - Option Icon 225 (USB)
>
> I have a 225 (thanks Option!). It works. I used it to add support for
> newer Option cards to NetworkManager. If it's busted in any way, I'll
> fix it since I have the hardware.

I think this kind of request will probably be a frequently asked
question in the future. Is there a way we could come up with a list of
hardware that we know works with NM 0.7 and 2.6.27 kernel?

Most likely we won't get access to all hardware available, so I guess
we would need to setup some kind of community feedback process.

Maybe we could have an option in NM that allows users to opt-in to
such feedback? They could then submit results for hardware/kernel
combinations which we could aggregate in list useful for end users.

What do you think?

- Alexander

Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk"

After a visit at the GSM provider I have a different choice of modems
which are available with newer billing plans:
- Huawei E180 (USB)
- Huawei E272 (USB)
- Huawei E870 (ExpressCard)
- Huawei E230 (USB)
all supporting HSPA. Unfortunately I will not be able to test the
modem before committing to the contract (this kind of testing is
available only with E800 and E220).

My primary question is now whether E870 will work, which would be my
primary choice if it works. I have found the following stories about
it:

* http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=192368 - It did not
work for somebody in June 2008 with network-manager, although it did
work with Gnome PPP. No answers, and it could be an older nm. Do you
recognize the problem, and is it solved in nm-0.7?

* http://www.theirishpenguin.com/2008/03/26/getting-the-huawei-e870-to-work-on-kubuntu-and-mobile-internet-from-o2/#comment-636
and the following comments - It did work for somebody in July 2008
with some tweaks. Is it true that huaweiAktBbo is no longer needed
with kernels above 2.6.20? Did they really use an older kernel in July
if they needed this tweakage? The main article is scary, with wvdial
etc., but it was from March and comments are more promising. Can I
assume that it will work out of the box on Hardy with nm-0.7?

My /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi has some
entries for E600 and E220. Should I assume that lack of entries for
others means that they don't need model-specific tweakage, rather than
that they are not supported?

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl

Old 09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Dan Williams

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 11:57 +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:56:04AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 20:48 +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> > > I am considering buying iPlus (internet access from a Polish GSM
> > > provider Polkomtel), and I have trouble predicting which GSM modem
> > > would work with network-manager-0.7 on Hardy.
> > >
> > > I want to use network-manager and not pppd or wicd; I want
> > > GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA (HSPA might be useful in future); ExpressCard or
> > > PCMCIA is preferred, USB is acceptable.
> > >
> > > iPlus provides a small choice of modems
> > > <http://www1.plus.pl/si/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiPhonesListCmd?catalogId=1000000002&categoryId=10 00000016&viewId=2&storeId=10001>:
> > > - Huawei E800 (ExpressCard)
> > > - ZTE MF335 (ExpressCard)
> > > - Huawei E630 (PCMCIA)
> > > - Huawei E870 (HSPA, ExpressCard)
> > > - Option Icon 225 (USB)
> >
> > I have a 225 (thanks Option!). It works. I used it to add support for
> > newer Option cards to NetworkManager. If it's busted in any way, I'll
> > fix it since I have the hardware.
>
> I think this kind of request will probably be a frequently asked
> question in the future. Is there a way we could come up with a list of
> hardware that we know works with NM 0.7 and 2.6.27 kernel?
>
> Most likely we won't get access to all hardware available, so I guess
> we would need to setup some kind of community feedback process.
>
> Maybe we could have an option in NM that allows users to opt-in to
> such feedback? They could then submit results for hardware/kernel
> combinations which we could aggregate in list useful for end users.

Write some XSLT that pulls the USB and PCMCIA IDs out of 10-modem.fdi
and correlates those to a table somewhere of vendor and device names
like the pciids stuff. 10-modem.fdi is the authoritative list of
cellular devices supported by NetworkManager. If it's not in that list,
it's not supported.

Dan

Old 09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk"

2008/9/15 Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com>:

> 10-modem.fdi is the authoritative list of
> cellular devices supported by NetworkManager. If it's not in that list,
> it's not supported.

One of the entries is:
<!-- Huawei -->
<match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x12d1">
<!-- E220,E220bis -->
<match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int_outof="0x1003;0x1004">

<http://public.warp.es/wader/browser/trunk/plugins/devices/huawei_exxx.py>
suggests that E870 has product_id = 0x1003 too (or possibly 0x1004).
Does it mean it will work?

OTOH E620 has product_id = 0x1001, which is present in my
10-modem.fdi, but it has been reported on
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G> as not working
with nm-0.7 (although working with pon). Perhaps this was before
updating 10-modem.fdi?

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl

Old 09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Dan Williams

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 17:01 +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> 2008/9/15 Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com>:
>
> > 10-modem.fdi is the authoritative list of
> > cellular devices supported by NetworkManager. If it's not in that list,
> > it's not supported.
>
> One of the entries is:
> <!-- Huawei -->
> <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x12d1">
> <!-- E220,E220bis -->
> <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int_outof="0x1003;0x1004">
>
> <http://public.warp.es/wader/browser/trunk/plugins/devices/huawei_exxx.py>
> suggests that E870 has product_id = 0x1003 too (or possibly 0x1004).
> Does it mean it will work?
>
> OTOH E620 has product_id = 0x1001, which is present in my
> 10-modem.fdi, but it has been reported on
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G> as not working
> with nm-0.7 (although working with pon). Perhaps this was before
> updating 10-modem.fdi?

The bug report for that one doesn't have any logs, I'd need to see some
logs with SERIAL_DEBUG defined in nm-serial-device.c. I also don't see
a GCAP or GCDCONT in there to really figure out what it does report.

I do admit that the "IPWireless 4G" card isn't supported yet because
it's a slightly different beast than all the rest and isn't really GSM.
The same was true for newer Option cards that use some proprietary
commands to complete the connection (though that's now supported). If
the parts don't really support the relevant standards then they probably
shouldn't be listed in 10-modem.fdi.

Dan