FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-14-2008, 01:32 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Michael Falkenburg
<mandcfalk@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello.
> Perhaps this question should be directed to a Studio-related forum, but
> when you see the nature of the "dilemma" you'll understand WHY I've sent
> it here...
>
> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
> file updates are taking place.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions as to how to solve this deal. Please ask any
> questions that you might need for clarification.
>
> However, if you ask me about WHAT such-and-such information might be
> (like, for the current setup), please also inform ME about how to go
> about finding that info that you need.
> Linux is new for me...can you tell?
>

Hi Michael

A good start would be to make sure it's the computer... Microwaves,
portable phones, other people using the same wireless channel etc can
cause the issues you described. Can't help you with those :-)

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Spruil
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:32:39 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

> A good start would be to make sure it's the computer... Microwaves,
> portable phones, other people using the same wireless channel etc can
> cause the issues you described. Can't help you with those

I had a similar problem when I first tried Linux (Fedora though) and it
turned out to be an unlikely coincidence.

The adaptor was on it's last legs, but because I was trying Linux for the
first time, it took me ages to look away from OS.

In hindsight I should have twigged, as I hadn't used that device for a
long time, but somehow I was completely blinkered.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Michael Falkenburg
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

Spruil wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:32:39 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:



A good start would be to make sure it's the computer... Microwaves,
portable phones, other people using the same wireless channel etc can
cause the issues you described. Can't help you with those



I had a similar problem when I first tried Linux (Fedora though) and it
turned out to be an unlikely coincidence.

The adaptor was on it's last legs, but because I was trying Linux for the
first time, it took me ages to look away from OS.

In hindsight I should have twigged, as I hadn't used that device for a
long time, but somehow I was completely blinkered.




OK, you were blinkered...and I still am ;-) .



M.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Michael Falkenburg
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

Brian McKee wrote:

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Michael Falkenburg
<mandcfalk@verizon.net> wrote:


Hello.
Perhaps this question should be directed to a Studio-related forum, but
when you see the nature of the "dilemma" you'll understand WHY I've sent
it here...

What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
file updates are taking place.

I'm open to any suggestions as to how to solve this deal. Please ask any
questions that you might need for clarification.

However, if you ask me about WHAT such-and-such information might be
(like, for the current setup), please also inform ME about how to go
about finding that info that you need.
Linux is new for me...can you tell?




Hi Michael

A good start would be to make sure it's the computer... Microwaves,
portable phones, other people using the same wireless channel etc can
cause the issues you described. Can't help you with those :-)

Brian



Hi Brian,



Well those are good suggestions, but:



don't have a microwave

don't use a portable phone

and 9xs out of 10, there isn't anyone else on the network (occasionally
my wife or son might be, but that would be "rare")



Ok, so since you can't help me with those ( :-)** ), what* help can you
offer otherwise?



Michael





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 AM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Michael Falkenburg
<mandcfalk@verizon.net> wrote:
> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
> file updates are taking place.

> what help can you
> offer otherwise?

Well, an intermittant problem can be a real pain, and I'm not a
wireless guru - I like my cat5 cable too much :-)

If you can observe a pattern, perhaps that would jog somebody's memory
of a similar issue.
Here's some other random troubleshooting ideas.
1- Does it happen only when heavily using the internet connection?
2- When it does happen, take a look at your system logs and see if it
says anything.
(alt-f2, type gksu gnome-system-monitor, input your password,
review the messages, syslog and kern.log)
3- What's your wireless setup? hardware? WEP/WPA/WPA2/no encryption?

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Knapp
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Michael Falkenburg
> <mandcfalk@verizon.net> wrote:
>> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
>> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
>> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
>> file updates are taking place.
>
>> what help can you
>> offer otherwise?
>
> Well, an intermittant problem can be a real pain, and I'm not a
> wireless guru - I like my cat5 cable too much :-)
>
> If you can observe a pattern, perhaps that would jog somebody's memory
> of a similar issue.
> Here's some other random troubleshooting ideas.
> 1- Does it happen only when heavily using the internet connection?
> 2- When it does happen, take a look at your system logs and see if it
> says anything.
> (alt-f2, type gksu gnome-system-monitor, input your password,
> review the messages, syslog and kern.log)
> 3- What's your wireless setup? hardware? WEP/WPA/WPA2/no encryption?
>
> Brian

I have the same problem here with a wireless on a USB device. It
connects and then works fine and then drops and the only way to get
back on is to reboot. I think it is the driver but I have not yet
proven that by trying the windows driver. The reason for that is when
I tried to install it, it said it was not a valid driver and have had
no time to fight that fight. I just wanted to say this because I it
would seem to indicate that the problem is from the driver, the USB
slots?? or the USB card itself. I wish I had windows on that little
system to test it because that is what it was on and it worked that
way. Happily, I have no windows at all around here.

--
Douglas E Knapp

http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

Michael Falkenburg wrote:

> Perhaps this question should be directed to a Studio-related forum, but
> when you see the nature of the "dilemma" you'll understand WHY I've sent
> it here...
>
> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
> file updates are taking place.

Are you in a location were there are two wireless APs possibly visible? My
network consists of an AP 1000' from my home, and a WDS repeaater in the
house. From my favorite chair, the signal from the repeater is always
stronger, but _every_ time it catches a hint of the base AP it "roams" -
with the result that at best things slow down, and at worst TCP connections
start timing out. When I want to play bridge online, I have to go to my
study where there are no windows in the direction of the base AP.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Eberhard Roloff
 
Default Ubuntu Studio question

Michael Falkenburg schrieb:
> Hello.
> Perhaps this question should be directed to a Studio-related forum, but
> when you see the nature of the "dilemma" you'll understand WHY I've sent
> it here...
>
> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
> file updates are taking place.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions as to how to solve this deal. Please ask any
> questions that you might need for clarification.
>
> However, if you ask me about WHAT such-and-such information might be
> (like, for the current setup), please also inform ME about how to go
> about finding that info that you need.
> Linux is new for me...can you tell?
>
> Thanks-in-advance,
>
> Michael
>
Hi,
I would start with taking your computer to where your wireless router
(or ap for that matter) is located. Within 1 m or so of distance,
does the problem persist?

If not, then you probably need a better antenna and/or try different
antenna positions.

If yes, look into "other wifi networks around". If there are any, what
channels do they use? The general rule with 2.4ghz wifi (as is usual)
is, iirc, is that you should use a channel a least 4 nummerary
channels away from the next strongest wifi network. Possibly you can
get your wifi neighbour(s) to change their respective channel
settings, if this is your problem.


For another check, preferably, you should use your very own problem
setting, maybe with windows via dualboot. This is because different
adaptors behave differently on Windows or Linux and "in between". ;-))

Kind regards
Eberhard


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org