Old 09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
"Vasant Shenoy"

Default First time Install problems

Hi,
I've been trying to install Ubuntu on my desktop (Pentium Dual Core,1.8GHz, 512MB RAM) but the install wont go beyond "Uncompressing kernel...". I guess i'm using a 32 bit version on a 64 bit system. How do i find if the version is right for my PC. i have a 6.06 LTS version CD with me

Thanks in advance

-Vasant

--
Powered By Outblaze

Old 09-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Knapp

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Vasant Shenoy <vasant@graffiti.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been trying to install Ubuntu on my desktop (Pentium Dual Core,1.8GHz, 512MB RAM) but the install wont go beyond "Uncompressing kernel...". I guess i'm using a 32 bit version on a 64 bit system. How do i find if the version is right for my PC. i have a 6.06 LTS version CD with me
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Vasant
>
> --
> Powered By Outblaze

First 32 bit will work on a 64 bit system. Second 6.06 is a very old
system. Get the newest one 8.04.
You can use 32 bit or 64 bit as you like. I use 64 bit Kubuntu and
love it. You will have a couple of problems with players for the
internet but you can get by them all.
This is the best site to find any form of Linux. Look at the top 100
list. Ubuntu is on top. If you click it, it will bring you to a page
with places to find Ubuntu.
http://distrowatch.com/

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 AM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Vasant Shenoy wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been trying to install Ubuntu on my desktop (Pentium Dual Core,1.8GHz, 512MB RAM) but the install wont go beyond "Uncompressing kernel...". I guess i'm using a 32 bit version on a 64 bit system. How do i find if the version is right for my PC. i have a 6.06 LTS version CD with me
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Vasant

If this is a Core Dual then yes its a 64-bit processor. I had a similar
problem on my AMD Athlon 64x2. I fixed the problem by using the 64-bit
version of Ubuntu. Download the 64-bit ISO file and burn it to CD.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:37:31AM -0400, Michael TheZorch Haney wrote:
> Vasant Shenoy wrote:
> > I've been trying to install Ubuntu on my desktop (Pentium Dual
> > Core,1.8GHz, 512MB RAM) but the install wont go beyond
> > "Uncompressing kernel...". I guess i'm using a 32 bit version on a
> > 64 bit system. How do i find if the version is right for my PC. i
> > have a 6.06 LTS version CD with me

> If this is a Core Dual then yes its a 64-bit processor. I had a similar
> problem on my AMD Athlon 64x2. I fixed the problem by using the 64-bit
> version of Ubuntu. Download the 64-bit ISO file and burn it to CD.

Core 2 Duo supports both 32- and 64-bit OSes.

Pentium Dual-Core supports only 32-bit OSes.

Marius Gedminas
--
(mental note: stop installing red hat. everytime i do so, it takes ages to fix
my system again.)