Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Charlie Brej

Default Plymouth animated startup

In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing RHGB[1].
Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb. You can see a demo of
the current default fedora startup here[2]. The system works on plugins to allow
different styles of splash screens. To play around with it I wrote a plugin
which uses components of the InvinXble theme and animates them. You can see a
video of this[3]. It is still work in progress but it does not seem too CPU
intensive. I kept the plugin pretty general so it should be easy to change it to
suit any theme.

What I would like is some feedback as to whether something like this is desirable.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
[2] http://katzj.livejournal.com/432586.html
[3] http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.mpg
and http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.gif

Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 PM
"David Nielsen"

In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing RHGB[1]. Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb. You can see a demo of the current default fedora startup here[2]. The system works on plugins to allow different styles of splash screens. To play around with it I wrote a plugin which uses components of the InvinXble theme and animates them. You can see a video of this[3]. It is still work in progress but it does not seem too CPU intensive. I kept the plugin pretty general so it should be easy to change it to suit any theme.

What I would like is some feedback as to whether something like this is desirable.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup

[2] http://katzj.livejournal.com/432586.html

[3] http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.mpg

* * * and http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.gif

That is definitely sexy, I do have one comment though. The current plymouth splash has a progress bar, and as pretty as this is it doesn't tell us anything about the boot progress so a user might be tempted to think we stalled, any thoughts as to the need for such visual feedback?. Aside that I love it.

- David

Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Charlie Brej

David Nielsen wrote:

[...]

I was planning adding a progress bar (not necessarily a bar). Because the
process starts before any disks have been mounted, it makes a timed progress bar
a little complicated. I think I have a solution but I will need agreement of the
developers. The best way is probably to have an estimated 1 minute timer, and as
soon as the root is mounted we read the target time from the disk. We then write
the boot time to the disk when we are finished averaged over multiple runs. This
would more suited to be within the core rather than the plugin. A lot of the
callback structures are already there to support this.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Thomas M Steenholdt

Charlie Brej wrote:

I was planning adding a progress bar (not necessarily a bar). Because
the process starts before any disks have been mounted, it makes a timed
progress bar a little complicated. I think I have a solution but I will
need agreement of the developers. The best way is probably to have an
estimated 1 minute timer, and as soon as the root is mounted we read the
target time from the disk. We then write the boot time to the disk when
we are finished averaged over multiple runs. This would more suited to
be within the core rather than the plugin. A lot of the callback
structures are already there to support this.

Perhaps it would be better to provide the user with info on what's going
on instead of adding timed bars? Or let the animation be trigged by a
change in the real progress. Stall = animation is stalled, Live progress
= live animation. Or something like that.

I'm afraid the progress bar idea is going to be imprecise and will
perhaps take to many "hacks" to get implemented?

Just my .2 cents

/Thomas

Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Gian Paolo Mureddu

Charlie Brej escribió:

David Nielsen wrote:

[...]

Only a suggestion, how about a blue-ish hue to on the Katana's blade as
the boot progresses to give a sort of feedback? (instead of a progress
bar as such, using the same logic that would apply to a progress bar),
though I'm not sure how feasible it might be, especially considering
graphics overlapping, added overhead, code involved, etc.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Nicu Buculei

Charlie Brej wrote:
In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing
RHGB[1]. Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb.

I understand you are at least a bit familiar with the way Plymouth
works, all of us could use some pointers, can you add a few words/links
to the ThemingOverview page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview#Plymouth

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Charlie Brej

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Charlie Brej wrote:
In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing
RHGB[1]. Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb.

I understand you are at least a bit familiar with the way Plymouth
works, all of us could use some pointers, can you add a few words/links
to the ThemingOverview page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview#Plymouth

Done. Ray Strode and others have left loads of good callback hooks and
helper functions so the possibilities of plugins are pretty limitless.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Nicu Buculei

Charlie Brej wrote:

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Charlie Brej wrote:
In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing
RHGB[1]. Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb.

I understand you are at least a bit familiar with the way Plymouth
works, all of us could use some pointers, can you add a few
words/links to the ThemingOverview page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview#Plymouth

Done. Ray Strode and others have left loads of good callback hooks and
helper functions so the possibilities of plugins are pretty limitless.

That is a good start, but look at the other entries in the table, they
have listed file names, image resolutions, locations and so on,
something a designer can easily parse and check.

I understand the design based on plug-ins allow a lot of freedom, but
maybe some specs for the default plugin?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Charlie Brej

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Charlie Brej wrote:

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Charlie Brej wrote:
In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing
RHGB[1]. Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb.

I understand you are at least a bit familiar with the way Plymouth
works, all of us could use some pointers, can you add a few
words/links to the ThemingOverview page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview#Plymouth

Done. Ray Strode and others have left loads of good callback hooks and
helper functions so the possibilities of plugins are pretty limitless.

That is a good start, but look at the other entries in the table, they
have listed file names, image resolutions, locations and so on,
something a designer can easily parse and check.

I understand the design based on plug-ins allow a lot of freedom, but
maybe some specs for the default plugin?

Yeah, the problem is that the resolution can be anything from 320x240 to
1600x1200 at any ratio. The default plugins do not take a default
image as they just use the fedora logo from
/usr/share/pixmaps/fedora-logo.png. No other theme images are used and
they can be any size we like. I am just working on a function to change
the size of images so we include one and then stretch it to the
resolution of the screen. If you want to pick a decent size for the
image to use as a basis for the stretched images then that would be
good. Also decide on whether we have a 5:4 image which has top and
bottom cropped, or a 16:9 with left/right cropped.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Charlie,

Charlie Brej wrote:
In Fedora 10 there will be a new graphical startup program replacing
RHGB[1]. Its called Plymouth and it starts even earlier than rhgb. You
can see a demo of the current default fedora startup here[2]. The system
works on plugins to allow different styles of splash screens. To play
around with it I wrote a plugin which uses components of the InvinXble
theme and animates them. You can see a video of this[3]. It is still
work in progress but it does not seem too CPU intensive. I kept the
plugin pretty general so it should be easy to change it to suit any theme.

What I would like is some feedback as to whether something like this is
desirable.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
[2] http://katzj.livejournal.com/432586.html
[3] http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.mpg
and http://brej.org/test/plymouth_invx.gif

I just saw your startup screen running on Ray Strode's machine and it is
really fantastic.

It'd be cool to see one with spinning gears for Gears, and one with
solar flares for Solar!

~m