Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Moritz Reiter

Default 8.04 Server on VIA C3 based machine

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server on a VIA C3 based machine. The basic
installation ran without errors but when booting the system from hard
disk I get:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 0:6
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

I googled the problem and found out that the -server kernel of Ubuntu is
really not suitable for the VIA C3 and it seems like on the developers
list a discussion is going on whether they should even bother about
these relatively old and seldom chips [1]. Someone suggests that
installing the -386 kernel cures the failing boot [2].

My question is: How can I install another kernel when I can't even boot
the system?
Or will I have to do the whole installation again and somehow choose
another kernel during installation?
If so, is that possible with the Server Install CD or would I have to
use the Alternate Install CD?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/254453
[2]
http://rick.vanrein.org/blog/software/ubuntu-grubreboot-c3.2006-12-23-16-03.article

Cheers
--
Moritz Reiter

Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Nils Kassube

Moritz Reiter wrote:
> My question is: How can I install another kernel when I can't even boot
> the system?

This is just an idea and totally untested but maybe worth a try:

Boot from a Live CD (use Xubuntu if you have only little RAM) and mount
the disk. Then copy the kernel files from /boot of the Live CD to /boot
of your hard disk. Modify /boot/grub/menu.lst according to the kernel
name you have just copied. Unmount the hard disk and reboot.

Nils

Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Moritz Reiter wrote:
>> My question is: How can I install another kernel when I can't even boot
>> the system?
>
> This is just an idea and totally untested but maybe worth a try:
>
> Boot from a Live CD (use Xubuntu if you have only little RAM) and mount
> the disk. Then copy the kernel files from /boot of the Live CD to /boot
> of your hard disk. Modify /boot/grub/menu.lst according to the kernel
> name you have just copied. Unmount the hard disk and reboot.

I'm not sure if that will work or not. I haven't tested this either,
but I think you can grab the kernel and kernel-modules debs, put them
on a USB stick or CD, boot from the live CD, mount the existing
system, copy the debs to somewhere in the existing system, chroot to
the existing system, then dpkg -i kernel and kernel modules, exit
chroot, reboot.

I went through something like this a long time ago with feisty - I
can't find my notes, but I think the process was pretty similar to the
above...

Chris