Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
"Nate Moore"

Default Problems installing 8.04.1 alternate amd64 on HP xw6400

I have an HP xw6400 with a TSST TS-H492C CD-RW/DVD-ROM and a Maxtor ATLAS10K5_146SAS hard disk. When I boot off the Ubuntu 8.04.1 alternate amd64 cd neither devices is recognized. There is a message about "SRST failed" before the installer interface starts. I'm stuck at the installation step where the it is looking for the CD-ROM. I've dropped into a terminal session to check the output of dmesg and as far as I can tell it does not see my optical drive or my hard drive. Loading the ahci module does not help to see the CD-ROM and I don't believe I'll be able to partition my hard disk as the mptsas module isn't provided (maybe it's built-in?).

I know this system works fine as has been running WindowsXP Professional.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Nate

Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
nmoore

I have an HP xw6400 with a TSST TS-H492C CD-RW/DVD-ROM and a Maxtor
ATLAS10K5_146SAS hard disk. When I boot off the Ubuntu 8.04.1 alternate
amd64 cd neither device is recognized. There is a message about "SRST
failed" before the installer interface starts and I'm stuck at the
installation step where the it is looking for the CD-ROM. I've dropped into
a terminal session to check the output of dmesg and as far as I can tell it
does not see my optical drive or my hard drive. Loading the ahci module
does not help to see the CD-ROM. and I don't believe I'll be able to
partition my hard disk as the mptsas module isn't provided (maybe it's
built-in or loaded after the CD-ROM is found?). I've tried a few suggested
boot options such as irqpoll and pci=nomsi as well as changing the settings
for the SATA interface in the BIOS (eg AHCI+RAID).

I know this system works fine (from a hardware standpoint) as has been

Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 AM
NoOp

On 09/12/2008 07:04 AM, nmoore wrote:
> I have an HP xw6400 with a TSST TS-H492C CD-RW/DVD-ROM and a Maxtor
> ATLAS10K5_146SAS hard disk. When I boot off the Ubuntu 8.04.1 alternate
> amd64 cd neither device is recognized. There is a message about "SRST
> failed" before the installer interface starts and I'm stuck at the
> installation step where the it is looking for the CD-ROM. I've dropped into
> a terminal session to check the output of dmesg and as far as I can tell it
> does not see my optical drive or my hard drive. Loading the ahci module
> does not help to see the CD-ROM. and I don't believe I'll be able to
> partition my hard disk as the mptsas module isn't provided (maybe it's
> built-in or loaded after the CD-ROM is found?). I've tried a few suggested
> boot options such as irqpoll and pci=nomsi as well as changing the settings
> for the SATA interface in the BIOS (eg AHCI+RAID).
>
> I know this system works fine (from a hardware standpoint) as has been
> running WindowsXP Professional.
>
> I would appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks!
> Nate

Did you get this working?

If not, you might try the ide=nodma option to see if that will get past
the SRST failed error.

This also might be of some help: