Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM
"kapil singh kushwah"

Default home directory shortcut

Hello all,
can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??
i don't want to create link over here.

--
Regards
Kapil singh Kushwah

Hotwax Media Inc., Indore
+91.990.751.4840
www.hotwaxmedia.com

Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM
"Raseel Bhagat"

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM, kapil singh kushwah <kapil.network@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,
can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??
i don't want to create link over here.

*ln -s /home/raseel /home/raseel/Desktop/shortcutToHome

*

Thanks,
Raseel

Old 09-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 15:45 +0530, kapil singh kushwah wrote:
> can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on
> desktop ??
> i don't want to create link over here.

Right click on the desktop and select "create launcher". Set the type to
"application", set the command to:

nautilus --no-desktop /path/to/the/directory

If you leave off the path, it will default to your home directory.

The icon, name, description and comment can be whatever you like.

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 16:06 +0530, Raseel Bhagat wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM, kapil singh kushwah wrote:
> can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on
> desktop ?? i don't want to create link over here.
>
> ln -s /home/raseel /home/raseel/Desktop/shortcutToHome

Unfortunately that creates exactly what he says he doesn't want - a
link.

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Karl Larsen

kapil singh kushwah wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??
> i don't want to create link over here.

Considering that the Desktop directory is on the HOME directory,
your question is hard to understand. The location of Desktop is exactly:

/HOME/Desktop

To get to my HOME directory I use the GUI Places -> Home to display
what is on HOME. Or you can open a Terminal and you can list on that
what is in the HOME directory.

So what is it you need to do?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-12-2008, 01:08 PM
"kapil singh kushwah"

Thanks to all,
I think nautilus launcher is perfect option , i did it but it works after logout.

so, many thanks to all.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

kapil singh kushwah wrote:

> Hello all,

> can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??

> i don't want to create link over here.

* *Considering that the Desktop directory is on the HOME directory,

your question is hard to understand. The location of Desktop is exactly:

/HOME/Desktop

* *To get to my HOME directory I use the GUI Places -> Home to display

what is on HOME. Or you can open a Terminal and you can list on that

what is in the HOME directory.

* *So what is it you need to do?

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Regards
Kapil singh Kushwah
Linux System Administrator
Hotwax Media Inc., Indore
09907514840
www.hotwaxmedia.com

Old 09-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Nils Kassube

Karl Larsen wrote:
> The location of Desktop is
> exactly:
>
> /HOME/Desktop

Not exactly. Unless you have a very unusual Linux system there is no /HOME
directory. It is at $HOME/Desktop where $HOME is the home directory of
the user. Usually that is /home/$USER/Desktop where $USER is replaced
with the login name of the user.

Nils

Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 06:52 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> kapil singh kushwah wrote:
> > can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??
> > i don't want to create link over here.
>
> To get to my HOME directory I use the GUI Places -> Home to display
> what is on HOME. Or you can open a Terminal and you can list on that
> what is in the HOME directory.
>
> So what is it you need to do?

You're doing it again, Karl. He doesn't want a multi-click or command
line solution, he wants a shortcut. That is, he wants an icon on his
desktop that he can click to see his home directory.

He does not want this icon to be a link. And I know why - if you have a
link, the path shown in Nautilus is /path/to/link, which is "wrong".

The right way to achieve this is to set up a launcher that opens the
desired directory. Works with any file manager, works with any desired
directory including your home directory, can be done simply and easily
within the Gnome GUI, and you don't clutter your filesystem with links.

HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve what the
OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry out of the
"Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with exactly what I
described in the previous paragraph and an earlier message.

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM
"kapil singh kushwah"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 06:52 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> kapil singh kushwah wrote:

> > can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??

> > i don't want to create link over here.

> * * To get to my HOME directory I use the GUI Places -> Home to display

> what is on HOME. Or you can open a Terminal and you can list on that

> what is in the HOME directory.

> * * So what is it you need to do?

You're doing it again, Karl. He doesn't want a multi-click or command

line solution, he wants a shortcut. That is, he wants an icon on his

desktop that he can click to see his home directory.

He does not want this icon to be a link. And I know why - if you have a

link, the path shown in Nautilus is /path/to/link, which is "wrong".

Thanks Karl you have got my problem .
I think like other Linux Distributions (such as Fedora,Centos, or other* rpm derivatives).
Ubuntu should have default home folder on desktop.

The right way to achieve this is to set up a launcher that opens the

desired directory. Works with any file manager, works with any desired

directory including your home directory, can be done simply and easily

within the Gnome GUI, and you don't clutter your filesystem with links.

HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve what the

OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry out of the

"Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with exactly what I

described in the previous paragraph and an earlier message.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) * * * * * * * * * +61-2-64957160 (h)

http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ * * * * * * * * *+61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28

Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Kevin Valentine

kapil singh kushwah wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??
> i don't want to create link over here.

This is a gnome/nautilus configuration option. Here's a quick way to
make the Home icon visible in the desktop from a terminal:
gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible --type bool 1

Whenever I install Ubuntu to a PC, I tend to forget all of those
parameters. I find it easier to open gconf-editor (from the terminal),
go to "apps --> nautilus --> desktop, and toggle home_icon_visible.
From there you'll notice that you can make other desktop icons visible
too. For more information on this, go here:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/19/adding-custom-icons-and-disabling-desktop-icons-in-gnome/

-kevin