Old 09-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Karl Auer

Default home directory shortcut

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 19:59 -0500, Chris wrote:
> Run gconf-editor, nav down to Apps, then Nautilus, then desktop.
> Click in the box, home_icon_visible
>
> That should do it. Nothing fancy or unsure if will remove something etc.
> There also you can add/remove Trash, Computer, Network icons and
> Volumes visible.
>
> To me, this is the Preferred way to do this.

For a home directory and a few other common ones like trash, yes. And
provided you are running Gnome.

The general technique - set up a launcher - works for ANY directory,
including many remote mount protocols, and works with ANY file manager
with a command line on ANY GUI that supports user launchers. And removal
is as simple as deleting the item from your desktop.

Regards, K.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Erik Christiansen

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:48:53PM -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:

> I tried dragging "Home Folder" from the Places menu in the panel and
> it looked as if it were going to make a copy of my home folder - at
> which point I canceled. I don't have enough disk space to try that

Sounds prudent indeed. If it was doing a

cp $HOME $HOME/Desktop

then there's scope for recursively filling any sized partition.

Erik

--
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion."

Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 22:19 +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:48:53PM -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> > I tried dragging "Home Folder" from the Places menu in the panel and
> > it looked as if it were going to make a copy of my home folder - at
> > which point I canceled. I don't have enough disk space to try that
>
> Sounds prudent indeed.

Indeed. I just did some tests. It seems that the "Home folder" is
treated differently by Nautilus, and is the ONLY folder (that I know of
anyway) that can be dragged out of the Places list onto the desktop
without causing a copy to be made.

My apologies to those I may have misled: Although you CAN create a
shortcut to your home directory by dragging the "Home folder" entry out
of the Places list onto the desktop, this DOES NOT WORK with other items
in the Places list. Specifically, and contrary to what I said in an
earlier email, it DOES NOT WORK with bookmarks. If you do it with a
bookmark or almost any other item in the Places list except the Home
folder, you will get a copy of the item, not a shortcut to it.

The general solution for shortcuts remains the same though: Create a
launcher, specifying the directory you want a shortcut to.

Regards, K.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 19:45 +0530, kapil singh kushwah wrote:
> why don't it is appear on desktop by default.

I suppose because the desktop is usually covered with windows, and
that's why these folders and bookmarks are in the Places menu, which is
always accessible.