Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 PM
"kapil singh kushwah"

Default home directory shortcut

Thank you very much.;
It is perfect solution.................i am impressed :-)

why don't it is appear on desktop by default.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Kevin Valentine <kevin.valentine@gmail.com> wrote:

kapil singh kushwah wrote:

> Hello all,

> can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??

> i don't want to create link over here.

This is a gnome/nautilus configuration option. *Here's a quick way to

make the Home icon visible in the desktop from a terminal:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible --type bool 1

Whenever I install Ubuntu to a PC, I tend to forget all of those

parameters. *I find it easier to open gconf-editor (from the terminal),

go to "apps --> nautilus --> desktop, and toggle home_icon_visible.

*From there you'll notice that you can make other desktop icons visible

too. *For more information on this, go here:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/19/adding-custom-icons-and-disabling-desktop-icons-in-gnome/

-kevin

Regards
Kapil singh Kushwah
Linux System Administrator
Hotwax Media Inc., Indore
09907514840
www.hotwaxmedia.com

Old 09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Karl Larsen

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> The location of Desktop is
>> exactly:
>>
>> /HOME/Desktop
>>

> Not exactly. Unless you have a very unusual Linux system there is no /HOME
> directory. It is at $HOME/Desktop where $HOME is the home directory of
> the user. Usually that is /home/$USER/Desktop where $USER is replaced
> with the login name of the user.
>

> Nils

Of course.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 12 September 2008 06:13:05 am Karl Auer wrote:

> HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve what the
> OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry out of the
> "Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with exactly what I
> described in the previous paragraph and an earlier message.

Once a person does that, how would one put it back away???

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Pastor JW
<pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008 06:13:05 am Karl Auer wrote:
>>
>> HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve what the
>> OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry out of the
>> "Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with exactly what I
>> described in the previous paragraph and an earlier message.
>
> Once a person does that, how would one put it back away???

I tried dragging "Home Folder" from the Places menu in the panel and
it looked as if it were going to make a copy of my home folder - at
which point I canceled. I don't have enough disk space to try that

If you create a launcher - or if the above drag-and-drop procedure
does create a launcher - you can just delete it.

I disable all of my Desktop icons and use the Places menu in
conjunction with the Places sidebar in nautilus, but to each their
own...

Chris

Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Ulin the Tech Mage

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 12:48 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Pastor JW
> <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 12 September 2008 06:13:05 am Karl Auer wrote:
> >>
> >> HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve what the
> >> OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry out of the
> >> "Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with exactly what I
> >> described in the previous paragraph and an earlier message.
> >
> > Once a person does that, how would one put it back away???
>
> I tried dragging "Home Folder" from the Places menu in the panel and
> it looked as if it were going to make a copy of my home folder - at
> which point I canceled. I don't have enough disk space to try that
>
> If you create a launcher - or if the above drag-and-drop procedure
> does create a launcher - you can just delete it.
>
> I disable all of my Desktop icons and use the Places menu in
> conjunction with the Places sidebar in nautilus, but to each their
> own...
>
> Chris

try creating a custom launcher on your panel, and ser it to a
application in the command put
"nautilus //home/username"
**where username is your user/login name***

Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 10:33 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008 06:13:05 am Karl Auer wrote:
> >
> > HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve what the
> > OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry out of the
> > "Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with exactly what I
> > described in the previous paragraph and an earlier message.
>
> Once a person does that, how would one put it back away???

Right click on the icon. Select "Delete". It deletes the object from the
desktop, not the directory it points to. If you are like me, you will
carefully test that last statement :-)

The technique above for putting it on the desktop only works for an item
in your "Places" list. I suppose you could go the long way around and
create a bookmark, then drag it out of the "Places" list to the desktop.

The more general technique (creating a launcher) works with any
directory, anywhere, in any UI that has launchers or their equivalent -
i.e., not just Gnome, not just nautilus.

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 12:48 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> I tried dragging "Home Folder" from the Places menu in the panel and
> it looked as if it were going to make a copy of my home folder - at
> which point I canceled. I don't have enough disk space to try that

It definitely creates a desktop shortcut to that folder; it does NOT
copy the folder.

You can test this by crating a small folder in your home directory,
putting a few files in it, bookmarking the folder (so it appears in
Places) then dragging the Places entry onto your desktop. Now go see if
you have a copy of the folder.

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 13:00 -0500, Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:
> try creating a custom launcher on your panel, and ser it to a
> application in the command put
> "nautilus //home/username"
> **where username is your user/login name***

"nautilus --no-desktop" will do the trick. It defaults to your home
directory, so you only need to specify a directory if you want some
other directory than your home directory. BTW, the two slashes at the
start of the directory in your example are harmless, I think, but only
one is needed.

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 12:48 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>> I tried dragging "Home Folder" from the Places menu in the panel and
>> it looked as if it were going to make a copy of my home folder - at
>> which point I canceled. I don't have enough disk space to try that
>
> It definitely creates a desktop shortcut to that folder; it does NOT
> copy the folder.
>
> You can test this by crating a small folder in your home directory,
> putting a few files in it, bookmarking the folder (so it appears in
> Places) then dragging the Places entry onto your desktop. Now go see if
> you have a copy of the folder.

Hmm - I must have borked something in gconf somewhere because it
definitely makes a copy for me! I doubt that I'd ever use that
functionality though - so no loss Just curious after following the
thread...

Chris

Old 09-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Chris

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:30:24 +1000
Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 10:33 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Friday 12 September 2008 06:13:05 am Karl Auer wrote:
> > >
> > > HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve
> > > what the OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry
> > > out of the "Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with
> > > exactly what I described in the previous paragraph and an earlier
> > > message.
> >
> > Once a person does that, how would one put it back away???
>
> Right click on the icon. Select "Delete". It deletes the object from
> the desktop, not the directory it points to. If you are like me, you
> will carefully test that last statement :-)
>
> The technique above for putting it on the desktop only works for an
> item in your "Places" list. I suppose you could go the long way
> around and create a bookmark, then drag it out of the "Places" list
> to the desktop.
>
> The more general technique (creating a launcher) works with any
> directory, anywhere, in any UI that has launchers or their equivalent
> - i.e., not just Gnome, not just nautilus.
>
> Regards, K.

Run gconf-editor, nav down to Apps, then Nautilus, then desktop.
Click in the box, home_icon_visible

That should do it. Nothing fancy or unsure if will remove something etc.
There also you can add/remove Trash, Computer, Network icons and
Volumes visible.

To me, this is the Preferred way to do this.

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"