Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 AM
"Rafael Barreto"

Default politeness

I am surprised about how umpolite and rude some
answers can be. Sometimes I don't dare ask a question or express an
opinion*fearing that somebody can ridicule me or treat me in such a rude
way as Mark Haney, the latin man, treated Karl. Great culture and little
education. Mark, I recommend you to read "How to Win Friends and Influence
People" by Dale Carnegie.
Raf.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 AM
"Steve Lamb"

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:35:43PM -0400, Rafael Barreto wrote:
> I am surprised about how umpolite and rude some answers can be. Sometimes I
> don't dare ask a question or express an opinion fearing that somebody can
> ridicule me or treat me in such a rude way as Mark Haney, the latin man,
> treated Karl. Great culture and little education. Mark, I recommend you to
> read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

Rafael, you're new here, right? Want to know how I can tell?

1: This topic comes up from new posters on average of once every 2-3
weeks. Just enough time for recriminations to fly, accusations metted out and
tempers to flare then all die out.

2: You're not aware of how many people reactive negatively to Karl.

I recommend you sit back for 3 months and see how accurate the above two
are before offering reading advice to anyone who is still attempting to deal
with Karl.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do

Old 09-12-2008, 03:34 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Rafael Barreto" <rafbarr23@comcast.net> said:
> I am surprised about how umpolite and rude some answers can be.
> Sometimes I don't dare ask a question or express an opinion fearing
> that somebody can ridicule me or treat me in such a rude way as Mark
> Haney, the latin man, treated Karl. Great culture and little
> education. Mark, I recommend you to read "How to Win Friends and
> Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Raf.

I've been following Mr. Haney's comments to/about Karl and, although
some may see them as rude (a contention that I neither support nor
condemn), they are right on the mark. This list will be worth less than
nothing if it becomes known for disseminating obviously false
information. Karl has been shown over and over to do just that and so
far won't see the danger to the list of such activities. When reason
and requests don't work it is time for real talk, calling him on his
inaccuracies and showing newcomers that not everyone on the list is so
inclined. Some don't like it, admittedly, but it may be necessary if we
are to continue to enjoy actual help from knowledgeable people here.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
I sense much MS in you.
MS leads to Bluescreen.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Karl Auer

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 22:34 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> This list will be worth less than
> nothing if it becomes known for disseminating obviously false
> information. Karl has been shown over and over to do just that

I just want to make clear that Karl Larsen is not me :-)

Regards, K.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:29 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> said:
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 22:34 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > This list will be worth less than
> > nothing if it becomes known for disseminating obviously false
> > information. Karl has been shown over and over to do just that
>
> I just want to make clear that Karl Larsen is not me :-)
>
> Regards, K.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Karl Auer is /NOT/ Karl
Larsen. I was speaking of Karl Larsen.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Microsoft says "Where do you want to go today?" they really mean
"Let us take you for a ride."

Old 09-12-2008, 04:39 AM
"Steve Lamb"

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:29:33PM -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Karl Auer is /NOT/ Karl
> Larsen. I was speaking of Karl Larsen.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Cybe R. Wizard is a snappy
dresser as well as having a punny name. :P

Old 09-12-2008, 04:44 AM
"Sandy Harris"

Rafael Barreto <rafbarr23@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am surprised about how umpolite and rude some answers can be. Sometimes I
> don't dare ask a question or express an opinion fearing that somebody can
> ridicule me or treat me in such a rude way

There's a saying "There are no stupid questions except the ones you
don't ask". More than a little truth in that.

> as Mark Haney, the latin man,
> treated Karl. Great culture and little education.

I delete many messages unread, don't know who those people are
or what you're talking about.

> Mark, I recommend you to
> read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

May I recommend you read Eric Raymond's "How to Ask Questions the
Smart Way"? One location: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

That link does not work for me, but I'm in China. I'd be interested in
knowing whether it works for others.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China

Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 AM
"Steve Lamb"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:44:08PM +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:
> Rafael Barreto <rafbarr23@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I am surprised about how umpolite and rude some answers can be. Sometimes I
> > don't dare ask a question or express an opinion fearing that somebody can
> > ridicule me or treat me in such a rude way

> There's a saying "There are no stupid questions except the ones you
> don't ask". More than a little truth in that.

If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half how long
does it take a man with one wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
-- Harry Anderson

Yes, I memorized that line for the sole purpose of illustrating to those
who say there are no stupid questions that there are, indeed, stupid
questions. ;P

Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 AM
musicman

lols, and Sandy - that ESR link works here in Melbourne town.

cheers
L.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:44:08PM +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:
>> Rafael Barreto <rafbarr23@comcast.net> wrote:
>> > I am surprised about how umpolite and rude some answers can be. Sometimes I
>> > don't dare ask a question or express an opinion fearing that somebody can
>> > ridicule me or treat me in such a rude way
>
>> There's a saying "There are no stupid questions except the ones you
>> don't ask". More than a little truth in that.
>
> If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half how long
> does it take a man with one wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
> -- Harry Anderson
>
> Yes, I memorized that line for the sole purpose of illustrating to those
> who say there are no stupid questions that there are, indeed, stupid
> questions. ;P
>
> --
> Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
> PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do
> -------------------------------+---------------------------------------------

"I was watching inconvenient truth the other day and theres the bit
where it shows the sea level rising really high and flooding most of
the world. Well i live near the sea, and don't want to drown, so i got
to thinking. Maybe if we lower the sea level a bit, when the water
level rises then it won't rise high enough to flood.

Anyway, heres the plan. Everyone who can should take a bucket of sea
water and pour it down the sink. If lots of people put the effort in,
we could lower the sea level substantially and create a better world
for our children to live"

Frank J
http://failblog.org/2008/08/29/global-warming-fail/
they say fail
I say genius

Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Sandy,

May I recommend you read Eric Raymond's "How to Ask Questions the
Smart Way"? One location: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

That link does not work for me, but I'm in China. I'd be interested in
knowing whether it works for others.

*** Worked fine from here in Cowpat SE Queensland, Australia.

See ya

Ken