Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Ken McLennan

Default politeness

G'day there Steve,

If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half how long
does it take a man with one wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
-- Harry Anderson

*** But what's so silly about that? It's quite obvious that the correct
answer is "Red"!

See ya

Ken

Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there Steve,
>
>> If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half how long
>> does it take a man with one wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
>> -- Harry Anderson
> But what's so silly about that? It's quite obvious that the
> correct answer is "Red"!

See, Ken, this is where you are very wrong. The answer is "red" in
China... but it's probably "blue" in the USA.

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*

Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Gilles,

See, Ken, this is where you are very wrong. The answer is "red" in
China... but it's probably "blue" in the USA.

*** I'll be buggered!!**** Politically aware answers!**** Who would
have thought?

*** ...the wonders of modern science!!!!

See ya

Ken

Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Gilles Gravier

G'day, Ken!

(are all the aussies called Ken? the name of the "australian accented"
voice for my TomTom is called "Ken"...)

Ken McLennan wrote:

G'day there Gilles,

See, Ken, this is where you are very wrong. The answer is "red" in
China... but it's probably "blue" in the USA.

*** I'll be buggered!!**** Politically aware answers!**** Who would
have thought?

*** ...the wonders of modern science!!!!

Then again, we see that in too many places... Oscars, MTV awards that
surprisingly go to minorities or other politically correct / requireing
contestents.

Oh well... the world as we know it is about to change, right? I live
just a mere 30km from the CERN.

Gilles

--

Signature Home Chastity

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 AM
"Edward Krack"

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/75535

Chicken and 1/2

Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Gilles,

(are
all the aussies called Ken?
*** Only the remarkably good looking ones who exhibit a kind of boyish
charm and sparkling intellect

the
name of the "australian accented"
voice for my TomTom is called "Ken"...)

*** Hmmm... there must be a few of us around. I've not got a TomTom (or
one of similar ilk) as yet, but it's on my list of "Stuff to get".

*** I'll
be buggered!!**** Politically aware answers!**** Who would
have thought?

*** ...the wonders of modern science!!!!

Then again, we see that in too many places... Oscars, MTV awards that
surprisingly go to minorities or other politically correct / requireing
contestents.

*** I never thought highly of the Oscars - a bunch of substance
abusing, self absorbed egos slapping each other on the back. I can live
without it. I can still remember a few years ago one of the headlining
actresses stating she'd not vote for any Australian actor as they'd won
too many awards. Dunno she was full of it or not, but it does tend to
indicate how "fair" the process is. Mind you, I find the whole industry
irrelevent.

Oh
well... the world as we know it is about to change, right? I live
just a mere 30km from the CERN.

* ** Ahaaaa!!!** Can you post to the list if they generate a Black Hole
and the world disappears? After all, you'll be one of the very first to
find out

See ya

Ken

Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/9/12 Rafael Barreto <rafbarr23@comcast.net>:
> I am surprised about how umpolite and rude some answers can be.

Flamebait!

While I agree that sometimes some answers can be unpolite, I would
like to add these observations:
1) Every time that I have seen a regular list member be rude and be
called out about it, he had either justified his position or
apologized. The non-regulars are often rude, but I'm not worried about
them.
2) The Ubuntu list is a lot more forgiving of newbs than almost every
other Linux list that I've seen (and that's a lot). We do see the
occasional RTFM or short temper, but this list is pioneering the low
bar to entry and almost every question that has garnered a rude
response here, would certainly have been flamed to a crisp on almost
any other Linux list.
3) Even when a thread gets heated and rude between two specific
posters, often in other threads you will see those same two posters
helping each other or coordinating to help someone else. I do not
think that anything is taken out of a thread or personally.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Gilles Gravier

Title: Signature Home Chastity

Bonjour!

Ken McLennan wrote:

(are
all the aussies called Ken?
*** Only the remarkably good looking ones who exhibit a kind of boyish
charm and sparkling intellect

Ah... figures!

the
name of the "australian accented"
voice for my TomTom is called "Ken"...)

*** Hmmm... there must be a few of us around. I've not got a TomTom (or
one of similar ilk) as yet, but it's on my list of "Stuff to get".

So... FYI, TomTom's software (TomTomHome)... version 1.0 works under
CrossoverOffice (i.e. really good WINE)... on Ubuntu... but TomTomHome
version 2.0 doesn't. Thing is... more modern TomTom devices require
TomTomHome 1.0... but my Nokia E61i runs the older TomTom Navigator,
which uses TomTomHome 1.0... and that works like a charm on
Ubuntu/CrossoverOffice!

Oh
well... the world as we know it is about to change, right? I live
just a mere 30km from the CERN.

* ** Ahaaaa!!!** Can you post to the list if they generate a Black Hole
and the world disappears? After all, you'll be one of the very first to
find out

I'll need to post REAL fast. Fortunately, I don't live IN Switzerland,
so packets leaving my home don't flow through CERN or near it... I live
in France just across the lake... so there's a chance of things
arriving to you in time.

Gilles.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/9/12 Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@gmail.com>:
> May I recommend you read Eric Raymond's "How to Ask Questions the
> Smart Way"? One location: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> That link does not work for me, but I'm in China. I'd be interested in
> knowing whether it works for others.

Works For Me (tm) (Israel, ISP: Bezeq)

You might like this site (if _it_ works in China):
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/9/12 Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org>:
> I'll need to post REAL fast. Fortunately, I don't live IN Switzerland, so
> packets leaving my home don't flow through CERN or near it... I live in
> France just across the lake... so there's a chance of things arriving to you
> in time.

And even if they do not arrive in time, they may arrive _before_
Gilles sends them. Here's praying that Hawkins radiation applies to
lost packets as well...

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü