-   -   working on new mail-* action icons (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/158201-working-new-mail-action-icons.html)

Martin Sourada 09-11-2008 07:24 PM

working on new mail-* action icons

Hi,

The reason for this mail is simple - there are about eleven mail-* icons
in the action context and two of them are missing in the echo icons,
most of those also contain folder in the icon (letter folder) so it's
good idea to recreate all of them in a batch and decide about the folder
design first. So I attach my first try.

Just to prevent unnecessary questions - they are bright intentionally -
they're made from white paper and the current dark design really does
not work very good for them. I also slightly changed the proportions.
They now look alike to gnome icons. Also, due to being thin, there is no
difference between flat and on-the-table projections :-D I also tested
them against various solid-colour backgrounds (actually I tried all echo
colours) and they are easily recognisable on all, but look slightly
better on brighter or bluish backgrounds (as most of other echo icons).

Comments welcome,
Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-12-2008 07:10 AM

Martin Sourada a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> The reason for this mail is simple - there are about eleven mail-* icons
> in the action context and two of them are missing in the echo icons,
> most of those also contain folder in the icon (letter folder) so it's
> good idea to recreate all of them in a batch and decide about the folder
> design first. So I attach my first try.
>
> Just to prevent unnecessary questions - they are bright intentionally -
> they're made from white paper and the current dark design really does
> not work very good for them. I also slightly changed the proportions.
> They now look alike to gnome icons. Also, due to being thin, there is no
> difference between flat and on-the-table projections :-D I also tested
> them against various solid-colour backgrounds (actually I tried all echo
> colours) and they are easily recognisable on all, but look slightly
> better on brighter or bluish backgrounds (as most of other echo icons).

Looks good. Are you using this icon as the base for other variants?
Otherwise, I have no comment.

Luya

Martin Sourada 09-12-2008 07:48 AM

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 00:10 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Martin Sourada a écrit :
> Looks good. Are you using this icon as the base for other variants?
> Otherwise, I have no comment.
>
> Luya

Yes, this icons is intended as the base for all the mail-* action icons
that will contain letter folder :) You could say its a "helper" icon to
achieve consistency.

Martin

Mark 09-14-2008 10:34 PM

2008/9/11 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> The reason for this mail is simple - there are about eleven mail-* icons
> in the action context and two of them are missing in the echo icons,
> most of those also contain folder in the icon (letter folder) so it's
> good idea to recreate all of them in a batch and decide about the folder
> design first. So I attach my first try.
>
> Just to prevent unnecessary questions - they are bright intentionally -
> they're made from white paper and the current dark design really does
> not work very good for them. I also slightly changed the proportions.
> They now look alike to gnome icons. Also, due to being thin, there is no
> difference between flat and on-the-table projections :-D I also tested
> them against various solid-colour backgrounds (actually I tried all echo
> colours) and they are easily recognisable on all, but look slightly
> better on brighter or bluish backgrounds (as most of other echo icons).
>
> Comments welcome,
> Martin

Hi Martin,

I'm glad to see this icon but at the same time makes me really wonder something.
In the days that you made the current mail icon i said that it looked
"ugly" and so not mail like (maybe not in those words but that was the
result) And i suggested better looking (more realistic) envelope
icons. You where highly against it! Now you made new ones in basically
the style i suggested which kinda stuns me because of your (at that
time) definitive NO. So what did change your mind?

Also something i notice recently.. This icon theme is really going
towards the Oxygen icon theme which make me wonder something else: Why
not stop making those nice icons and use the oxygen icon theme? If
needed adjust that theme to the fedora needs. My guess is that you
will be done a lot faster with this theme if you do it that way.

Martin Sourada 09-14-2008 11:07 PM

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 00:34 +0200, Mark wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I'm glad to see this icon but at the same time makes me really wonder something.
> In the days that you made the current mail icon i said that it looked
> "ugly" and so not mail like (maybe not in those words but that was the
> result) And i suggested better looking (more realistic) envelope
> icons. You where highly against it! Now you made new ones in basically
> the style i suggested which kinda stuns me because of your (at that
> time) definitive NO. So what did change your mind?

Heh, I don't remember (and I am too lazy to look in archives)... Anyway,
my opinions do change, evolve. Where I said definitive NO a year ago,
does not mean I'd to the same today. Though I don't change my opinions
on a daily basis, they are not "set in stone". I wonder what my reason
was back then, perhaps I felt Echo should have been darker, or didn't
wanted much to touch original Diana's designs... Or now I've just become
accustomed to the 24x24 version of the mail icons (which are similarly
bright to my current designs) and gnome mail icons...

> Also something i notice recently.. This icon theme is really going
> towards the Oxygen icon theme which make me wonder something else: Why
> not stop making those nice icons and use the oxygen icon theme? If
> needed adjust that theme to the fedora needs. My guess is that you
> will be done a lot faster with this theme if you do it that way.

Does it? I'd argue that the current looks is closer to gnome icons than
oxygen ones...

We were asked to base our work on Tango in the past, now we are asked to
base it on Oxygen... My only reply to that is: we're neither and we
won't throw our past work away ;-)

Martin