Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Alfredo Lopez

Default problem with USB paralell interface

I have a Panasonic KXP-11424, Manhattan Paralell serial Interface and one Sony Vaio notebook with Ubuntu 8.4 and do not print all the time, please Help

Lic Alfredo López Vargas
Abogado & Notario
tel 506-88365072** tel/fax 506-22910243

Get your information fix on your phone. With MSN Mobile you get regular news, sports and *finance updates. Try it today!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:06 AM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Alfredo Lopez <liclopez@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Panasonic KXP-11424, Manhattan Paralell serial Interface and one
> Sony Vaio notebook with Ubuntu 8.4 and do not print all the time, please
> Help

Hi Alfredo

Is it a parallel or a serial printer? or does it have both
interfaces? If so, which one are you using?

Second question - does 'do not print all the time' mean that it does
print sometimes and not others? or have you never gotten it to print?

We need more info before we can help.

Brian

Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Brian Astill

On Friday 12 September 2008 03:25:42 Alfredo Lopez wrote:
> I have a Panasonic KXP-11424, Manhattan Paralell serial
> Interface and one Sony Vaio notebook with Ubuntu 8.4 and do not
> print all the time, please Help

There are two ways of using a serial USB port. One uses udev to
create /dev/ttyUSB0 (or /dev/ttyUSB1) and the other uses libusb
and usb: (that colon is needed).
Problem is, the two systems conflict.
When you connect your device look in /dev and see if ttyUSB0 has
been created. Then "locate libusb" or use synaptic to see if
libusb is installed. If both things are true, you will need to
suppress one of them.

Brian

Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au> wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008 03:25:42 Alfredo Lopez wrote:
>> I have a Panasonic KXP-11424, Manhattan Paralell serial
>> Interface and one Sony Vaio notebook with Ubuntu 8.4 and do not
>> print all the time, please Help
>
> There are two ways of using a serial USB port. One uses udev to
> create /dev/ttyUSB0 (or /dev/ttyUSB1) and the other uses libusb
> and usb: (that colon is needed).
> Problem is, the two systems conflict.
> When you connect your device look in /dev and see if ttyUSB0 has
> been created. Then "locate libusb" or use synaptic to see if
> libusb is installed. If both things are true, you will need to
> suppress one of them.

I'm guessing it's really old fashioned serial - not USB. The
Panasonic KXP printers I remember had one or both, but they predate
USB. A quick google of that model number got me nowhere. Manhattan
Parallel was a name brand of A/B switches used for that and other
things. All pure speculation of course waiting for the OP to
comment....

Brian

Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Alfredo Lopez

Sorry my English is not very well, the printer el Panasonic KXP-1124 is Parallel, the interface Manhattan is Parallel-USB, the computer is Sony Vaio, I guess you are right, there are one incompatibility in the software who handle the USB port in the computer, but I dont know how fix it. Thanks for your time

Old 09-13-2008, 03:07 AM
NoOp

On 09/12/2008 11:27 AM, Alfredo Lopez wrote:
> Sorry my English is not very well, the printer el Panasonic KXP-1124
> is Parallel, the interface Manhattan is Parallel-USB, the computer is
> Sony Vaio, I guess you are right, there are one incompatibility in
> the software who handle the USB port in the computer, but I dont know
> how fix it. Thanks for your time

Assuming that this is a Sony Vaio desktop, move the usb to one of the
back ports on the Vaio & reboot - don't just log off/on, reboot. The
front USB ports on Sony Vaio's are known to have weak/noisy USB signals
on them. If that doesn't work, please provide the output of these
commands from the terminal:

lsusb
(with the device plugged in)
lsusb
(with the device unplugged)
dmesg|grep usb

Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Alfredo Lopez

You give me the answare, now the problem is fix and works very good, thanks a lot

Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Alfredo Lopez

Thanks all the information help me a lot, the problem was the noise in the cable I change it and put in other direction and works very good. Thanks everybody

Old 09-16-2008, 01:15 AM
NoOp

On 09/15/2008 05:35 PM, Alfredo Lopez wrote:
> You give me the answare, now the problem is fix and works very good, thanks a lot

You are most welcome. Glad that it worked.