Old 12-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Default Cautious possible new member/user

Dear All

After lots of loyalty to Mandrake/Mandriva I have experienced more
things not working out of the box as I have happily ungraded from
earlier versions. My level of skill is low, though I do know I have
learnt a lot since Mandrake 8.5. I know calculate four things that used
to be working by default as not working now without user intervention.
Even autofs was not working automatically, which means I will have to
manually mount unless I use up some tech support to learn to overcome
this. I have never managed to get my onboard/soft dial up modem on my
laptop working in any version of Linux.

I have browsed the website but I cannot find an exhaustive list of
applications that you included. Since Mandrva was on a DVD and I am
about to burn the ISO I want to check a few things so that I do not have
an unrealistic expectation.

1) Can I expect to have openssh installed by default so that all I have
to do is start konqueror and enter the ip/username of the other Linux
(Mandriva 2007) computer on my network?

2) Can I expect SAMBA to be installed by default with an entry in the
menu to start Samba when I want to connect to my Windows PC (which is
also the Mandriva 2007 as it dual boots)?

3) Can I expect Openoffice to be installed by default?

4) Does the Ubuntu have any othe VNC tools, not VNC itself. In Mandriva
I was using a KDE tool the name of which might be like

5) Do I have to choose between Gnome and KDE or is one the default?

6) Are there any applications for watching DVDs?

7) Do you use CUPS

8) Every version of Mandrake/Mandriva I have ever had displys an error
message during boot that slamer (or something similar) could not be
found/loaded. This I think relates to the soft modem. Does Ubunto
support soft modems? Please say yes!

9) Will my PCMCIA external CDROM be supported?

10) Will USB flash disks/pen disks, floppies and DVD/CD ROMS be
supported so that I only have to insert and they will be recognised?

Hope to hear from you

Thank you

Stephen

Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM
"Tim M"

On 12/9/07, Stephen Constantinou <stephanos@writeme.com> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> After lots of loyalty to Mandrake/Mandriva I have experienced more
> things not working out of the box as I have happily ungraded from
> earlier versions. My level of skill is low, though I do know I have
> learnt a lot since Mandrake 8.5. I know calculate four things that used
> to be working by default as not working now without user intervention.
> Even autofs was not working automatically, which means I will have to
> manually mount unless I use up some tech support to learn to overcome
> this. I have never managed to get my onboard/soft dial up modem on my
> laptop working in any version of Linux.
>
> I have browsed the website but I cannot find an exhaustive list of
> applications that you included. Since Mandrva was on a DVD and I am
> about to burn the ISO I want to check a few things so that I do not have
> an unrealistic expectation.
>
> 1) Can I expect to have openssh installed by default so that all I have
> to do is start konqueror and enter the ip/username of the other Linux
> (Mandriva 2007) computer on my network?
>
> 2) Can I expect SAMBA to be installed by default with an entry in the
> menu to start Samba when I want to connect to my Windows PC (which is
> also the Mandriva 2007 as it dual boots)?
>
> 3) Can I expect Openoffice to be installed by default?
>
> 4) Does the Ubuntu have any othe VNC tools, not VNC itself. In Mandriva
> I was using a KDE tool the name of which might be like
>
> 5) Do I have to choose between Gnome and KDE or is one the default?
>
> 6) Are there any applications for watching DVDs?
>
> 7) Do you use CUPS
>
> 8) Every version of Mandrake/Mandriva I have ever had displys an error
> message during boot that slamer (or something similar) could not be
> found/loaded. This I think relates to the soft modem. Does Ubunto
> support soft modems? Please say yes!
>
> 9) Will my PCMCIA external CDROM be supported?
>
> 10) Will USB flash disks/pen disks, floppies and DVD/CD ROMS be
> supported so that I only have to insert and they will be recognised?
>
> Hope to hear from you
>
> Thank you
>
> Stephen

On (1) openssh will have to be installed and configured. But it is no big deal.
(2) Samba I believe will have to be installed and configured.
(3) Open office is installed from the CD.
(4) VNC is installed but I haven't used it in the last couple of upgrades.
(5) Yup either KDE or Gnome . . . the default is Gnome unless you
install from a Kubuntu disk.
(6) Yup you can watch your DVD. I think when you click on Movie player
it will download the drivers automatically.
(7) Cup is used for printing
(8) If you are referring to a DUN I don't use one so don't know.
(9) Don't know but most likely. My USB card reader is picked up as
soon as I plug it in.
(10) see 9.

Now I will say I don't know a lot about Ubuntu or Linux but I really
like Ubuntu. Just yesterday I was reinstalling XP for someone. I lost
count of the number of CDs I had to find to get everything
reinstalled.

Tim

Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
"Dick Dowdell"

Stephanos,

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my grandaughter's Sony VIAO PCG-N505VX Notebook (Pentium II, 128MB RAM, 6GB hard drive, sold w/ Win 98 SE) using the alternate desktop CD because there's not enough RAM to install from the Live CD. To my happy amazement, everything worked immediately after the post installation re-boot, including the PCMCIA Netgear wireless card.* I needed to do no post installation configuration.

Over the last 6 months I've converted all my Web and DBMS servers to Ubuntu from Windows 2003 Server.* I'm new to the Linux/Unix world, but I've had no problems with Ubuntu.* Web-based support documentation and support from this mail list has been great --- much better than I ever got from Microsoft.

Regards,
Dick Dowdell

Old 12-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Thilo Six

Tim M wrote the following on 09.12.2007 19:49

</snip>

> On (1) openssh will have to be installed and configured. But it is no big deal.
> (2) Samba I believe will have to be installed and configured.

That´s true for the _server_ parts of those tools but
per default the client tools are installed for both of them.

So you can just connect from your freshly installed ubuntu via ssh or smb to
some other machine - so the answer to 1 and 2 is: yes.

</snip>

> Tim

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Dear All

Thanks to all for the responses. It has gone along way to helping me
make a decision. Along with the realisation that my mouse right click
is not working after this upgrade.

I want to clarify only one point and sorry if I am being idiotic for not
understanding. I am about to download the ISO for Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop
Edition. Will this include KDE as an option?

If not is there a download for Kubuntu. This will be quicker than a
postal purchase via the USA.

Thanks and wait to hear

Stephen, Wales, UK

Old 12-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Robert Hodgins

> I want to clarify only one point and sorry if I am being idiotic for not
> understanding. I am about to download the ISO for Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop
> Edition. Will this include KDE as an option?

Nope.

Yup. Right here: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/kubuntu

Old 12-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Darren Mansell

KDE is only in the Kubuntu ISO but Ubuntu has metapackages that install
a group of packages so to install KDE alongside Gnome after install you
simply install 'kubuntu-desktop' from Synaptic or using 'sudo apt-get
install kubuntu-desktop'. It will ask if you want kdm or gdm to be the
default display manager, pick kdm if you will be using KDE more than
Gnome and vice-versa.

If you won't be using Gnome at all its worth just installing Kubuntu
rather than installing Ubuntu and then putting Kubuntu packages on
afterwards.

BTW, welcome and good luck. I started with Mandrake years ago. I moved
to Ubuntu around Mandriva 2006 and I haven't looked back.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Tom Bamford

Stephen Constantinou wrote:
> 8) Every version of Mandrake/Mandriva I have ever had displys an error
> message during boot that slamer (or something similar) could not be
> found/loaded. This I think relates to the soft modem. Does Ubunto
> support soft modems? Please say yes!
>
> 9) Will my PCMCIA external CDROM be supported?

As you will know soft-modems are notoriously crap, however on my IBM
laptop Ubuntu 7.10 detected and loaded the appropriate driver/firmware
for the built in Intel soft modem. It maps /dev/modem to the correct
device and I've used it successfully, though not for long so I don't
know how stable or reliable it is.

I have a Freecom Traveller 2 which works over USB but not over PCMCIA.
I've also got a 16-bit PCMCIA IDE controller which doesn't work in
Ubuntu. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Regards,
Tom

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 AM
James Takac

On Monday 10 December 2007 12:43:06 Tom Bamford wrote:
> Stephen Constantinou wrote:
> > 8) Every version of Mandrake/Mandriva I have ever had displys an error
> > message during boot that slamer (or something similar) could not be
> > found/loaded. This I think relates to the soft modem. Does Ubunto
> > support soft modems? Please say yes!
> >
> > 9) Will my PCMCIA external CDROM be supported?
>
> As you will know soft-modems are notoriously crap, however on my IBM
> laptop Ubuntu 7.10 detected and loaded the appropriate driver/firmware
> for the built in Intel soft modem. It maps /dev/modem to the correct
> device and I've used it successfully, though not for long so I don't
> know how stable or reliable it is.
>
> I have a Freecom Traveller 2 which works over USB but not over PCMCIA.
> I've also got a 16-bit PCMCIA IDE controller which doesn't work in
> Ubuntu. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Hi Guys

Might I suggest booting from the live cd and seeing how that handles the
hardware in question? imho it should give some indication as to what will
work and what wont

James

Old 12-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Thilo Six

Darren Mansell wrote the following on 09.12.2007 23:43

</snip>

> If you won't be using Gnome at all its worth just installing Kubuntu
> rather than installing Ubuntu and then putting Kubuntu packages on
> afterwards.

e.g. from:
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/gutsy/

The "desktop" CD is a Live CD, with an option to install to hd.
The "alternate" CD is a text based installer cd.

> BTW, welcome and good luck. I started with Mandrake years ago. I moved
> to Ubuntu around Mandriva 2006 and I haven't looked back.

yeah. hello from /me 2

--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09