Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default phantom files

I recently installed logwatch which in turn installed postfix. Later I
decided to uninstall them using "apt-get purge" and "apt-get autoremove".
Afterward I ran "locate logwatch" and "locate postfix" and a ton of files
showed up, mostly /usr/share/man/man8/ files, /var/lib/dpkg/info/ files,
with some /usr/lib/ files and some /etc/rc0.d....../etc/rc6.d files thrown
in. There was other misc. stuff which I won't bother to list. When I
tried to delete them I got the "No such file or directory" notice.
Places->Search for Files showed only the .deb packages in the
/var/cache/apt/archives directory. Reindexing with Tracker and rebooting
changed nothing. The phantom files still showed up with "locate".

Anyone have an explanation?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 PM
"Diogo Böhm"

From what I searched, locate and tracker are two different applications (correct me if I'm wrong).
The command to re-index locate is "updatedb".

If it still appears, maybe there are symbolic links pointing to those locations. Find those and unlink them would be my advice.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 16:02 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> I recently installed logwatch which in turn installed postfix. Later I
> decided to uninstall them using "apt-get purge" and "apt-get autoremove".
> Afterward I ran "locate logwatch" and "locate postfix" and a ton of files
> showed up, mostly /usr/share/man/man8/ files, /var/lib/dpkg/info/ files,
> with some /usr/lib/ files and some /etc/rc0.d....../etc/rc6.d files thrown
> in. There was other misc. stuff which I won't bother to list. When I
> tried to delete them I got the "No such file or directory" notice.
> Places->Search for Files showed only the .deb packages in the
> /var/cache/apt/archives directory. Reindexing with Tracker and rebooting
> changed nothing. The phantom files still showed up with "locate".

locate uses a database of filenames to speed its operation. The
database is updated by updatedb once a day. Look in /etc/cron.daily and
you will see the cron job mlocate which calls updatedb. I suspect the
database was just out of date. On my system cron runs the daily jobs at
6:25 AM local time. This is found in /etc/crontab.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Diogo B?hm wrote:

>> From what I searched, locate and tracker are two different applications
> (correct me if I'm wrong).
> The command to re-index locate is "*updatedb*".

That did it. I didn't realize Tracker and "locate" used different
databases. Seems redundant. Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 04:25:31PM -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 16:02 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > I recently installed logwatch which in turn installed postfix. Later I
> > decided to uninstall them using "apt-get purge" and "apt-get autoremove".
> > Afterward I ran "locate logwatch" and "locate postfix" and a ton of files
> > showed up, mostly /usr/share/man/man8/ files, /var/lib/dpkg/info/ files,
> > with some /usr/lib/ files and some /etc/rc0.d....../etc/rc6.d files thrown
> > in. There was other misc. stuff which I won't bother to list. When I
> > tried to delete them I got the "No such file or directory" notice.
> > Places->Search for Files showed only the .deb packages in the
> > /var/cache/apt/archives directory. Reindexing with Tracker and rebooting
> > changed nothing. The phantom files still showed up with "locate".
>
> locate uses a database of filenames to speed its operation. The
> database is updated by updatedb once a day. Look in /etc/cron.daily and
> you will see the cron job mlocate which calls updatedb. I suspect the
> database was just out of date. On my system cron runs the daily jobs at
> 6:25 AM local time. This is found in /etc/crontab.

slocate used to check for the existence of the files before printing
their names. Does mlocate not do so?

Marius Gedminas
--
Apologies for taking up the bandwidth with the apology. Anything else I
can apologise for ...... er no can't think of anything, sorry about that.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Robert Holtzman

Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> slocate used to check for the existence of the files before printing
> their names. Does mlocate not do so?

This is the first I've heard of mlocate. Where have I been? Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Florian Diesch

Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

> Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
>> slocate used to check for the existence of the files before printing
>> their names. Does mlocate not do so?

That's locate -e with mlocate

> This is the first I've heard of mlocate. Where have I been? Thanks.

mlocate is the locate clone Ubuntu installs by default

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Karl Larsen

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> I recently installed logwatch which in turn installed postfix. Later I
> decided to uninstall them using "apt-get purge" and "apt-get autoremove".
> Afterward I ran "locate logwatch" and "locate postfix" and a ton of files
> showed up, mostly /usr/share/man/man8/ files, /var/lib/dpkg/info/ files,
> with some /usr/lib/ files and some /etc/rc0.d....../etc/rc6.d files thrown
> in. There was other misc. stuff which I won't bother to list. When I
> tried to delete them I got the "No such file or directory" notice.
> Places->Search for Files showed only the .deb packages in the
> /var/cache/apt/archives directory. Reindexing with Tracker and rebooting
> changed nothing. The phantom files still showed up with "locate".
>
> Anyone have an explanation?
>
> Thanks.

Try re-booting. The locate system is re-loaded in a bootup.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM
"Mark Haney"

> I recently installed logwatch which in turn installed postfix. Later I

> decided to uninstall them using "apt-get purge" and "apt-get
autoremove".
> Afterward I ran "locate logwatch" and "locate postfix" and a ton of
files
> showed up, mostly /usr/share/man/man8/ files, /var/lib/dpkg/info/
files,
> with some /usr/lib/ files and some /etc/rc0.d....../etc/rc6.d files
thrown
> in. There was other misc. stuff which I won't bother to list. When I
> tried to delete them I got the "No such file or directory" notice.
> Places->Search for Files showed only the .deb packages in the
> /var/cache/apt/archives directory. Reindexing with Tracker and
rebooting
> changed nothing. The phantom files still showed up with "locate".
>
> Anyone have an explanation?
>
> Thanks.

Try re-booting. The locate system is re-loaded in a bootup.

Karl

Good grief. Don't reboot as root run 'updatedb'.

This isn't Windows, you know.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Nils Kassube

Mark Haney wrote:
> Try re-booting. The locate system is re-loaded in a bootup.
>
> Good grief. Don't reboot as root run 'updatedb'.
>
> This isn't Windows, you know.

And rebooting wouldn't help at all because updatedb is started by a cron
job, not at boot time.

Nils