FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default phantom files

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>
>> Here's my take. (and OPINION only) I think that the majority of Ubuntu
>> users are from the Windows world. Ubuntu is pretty good for getting
>> n00bs on to linux.
If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984 100%
Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)

Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
latest Windows.

Karl

>>
--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
John Masters
 
Default phantom files

On 11 Sep 2008, at 19:36, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Here's my take. (and OPINION only) I think that the majority of
>>> Ubuntu
>>> users are from the Windows world. Ubuntu is pretty good for getting
>>> n00bs on to linux.
> If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984
> 100%
> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>
> Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
> latest Windows.
>

In actual fact Karl, Unix predates DOS by about 10 years.

--
Regards, John

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Carl Friis-Hansen
 
Default phantom files

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Here's my take. (and OPINION only) I think that the majority of Ubuntu
>>> users are from the Windows world. Ubuntu is pretty good for getting
>>> n00bs on to linux.
> If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984 100%
> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>
> Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
> latest Windows.
Hi Karl. Since I am 56, may I correct you in a few things? I do it anyway.
MS-DOS was only free to thieves. All operating systems back did cost money.
And no, although I am > 50, I started LIMB, later UNIX and CPM, then
again later concurrent DOS and in between it all, both MAC and operating
systems most people have never heard about.
My point is, your statistics are not totally correct.
--
+---------------------------------+-------------------+
| Carl Friis-Hansen | Fiskeryd Nybygget |
| http://computingconfidence.com/ | 341 91 Ljungby |
| Phone: +46 (0)372 15033 | Sweden |
+---------------------------------+-------------------+


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default phantom files

Karl Larsen wrote:

> If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984 100%
> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>
> Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
> latest Windows.
>
> Karl
>
>>>


You are NOT serious. Are you kidding me? UNIX was developed in the
1960's. I'm not over 50 and I started out on a Xenix server at Virginia
Tech in 1990. My mother didn't start on Windows, she started on Ubuntu.
and DOS was not the original free operating system. You really,
SERIOUSLY, can't be that silly to post something like this without
checking your facts. Until DOS became irrelevant it was never free.
(DR-DOS was back in the caldera days.)

Do you not realize Microsoft has been trying FOR YEARS to make Windows
more like Unix/Linux? The new 'power shell', multi-user kernels, etc.
Unix is only 'copying Windows' in the GUI arena, and they really are
more copying Apple than MS.

Please, I ask you nicely, before you send stuff like this, use google.
It's a great search engine that can help you get your facts straight. I
use it quite often. It can be found at http://www.google.com




--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default phantom files

Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> said:
> If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
> users.

Hmmm.
How about the Mac?
How about the Commodore?
How about Unix from 1969?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
There is absolutely no substitute for a complete lack
of information upon which to base a considered
opinion.
Roug Diddle

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
David Vincent
 
Default phantom files

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Mark Haney wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
>> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984 100%
>> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
>> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
>> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>>
>> Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
>> latest Windows.

> You are NOT serious. Are you kidding me?

afaik he *is* kidding you. note the :-) after his joke. perhaps the
word "borrowed" should have been in quotes?

- -d

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIyWt+fpRzWFIV0XMRAqrRAJ9hHYyXde3rp2Rr/2Ga3eSqohJaxACfXc1o
wYP/G1bZXUzAYfOemGs9EcE=
=Hwmx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default phantom files

Karl Larsen schreef:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Here's my take. (and OPINION only) I think that the majority of Ubuntu
>>> users are from the Windows world. Ubuntu is pretty good for getting
>>> n00bs on to linux.
> If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984 100%
> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>
> Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
> latest Windows.
>
> Karl
>
>>>
Karl,
Don't forget CP/M and (for the scientific world) RSTS (DEC) and of
course system 360 (IBM).
Joep


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default phantom files

Mark Haney wrote:

> I do agree there, maybe my phrasing was off, but it did seem to get the
> point across. You find many more 'first timers' on the Ubuntu list
> /because/ it's more user friendly. I started my kids and Mother out on
> it, but they graduated to Gentoo. No more upgrades, just rolling updates.

Ack! You put your _mother_ on Gentoo! That's just evil... Seriously, I
just have rolling upgrades too - they'd roll more easily if Ubuntu used a
repository structure like Debian's, where the current repo is always
named "stable". I don't see the Gentoo advantage.

>> otoh, claiming you can do everything in the CLI faster than I can do it
>> in a GUI is just plain ignorant :-)
>
> Okay, when I wrote that, I really meant more administration type things.

LOL. I'm kidding you - you asked for flames. There are things I always do
with the CLI. I haven't downloaded new packages except with aptitude in
years.

>>> Whereas in linux, you have lots tools that do ONE thing, but does it
>>> extremely well. In linux there is more than one way to skin a cat.
>>
>> Well, that would be an argument against having two databases that seem to
>> do the same thing.
>
> I don't see how that would be an argument against that.

Yes, but JW thought the two databases were doing the same thing - if so,
noone wouldn't need both. But you're not skinning one cat - you're
skinning different ones.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default phantom files

John Masters schreef:
> On 11 Sep 2008, at 19:36, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Here's my take. (and OPINION only) I think that the majority of
>>>> Ubuntu
>>>> users are from the Windows world. Ubuntu is pretty good for getting
>>>> n00bs on to linux.
>> If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
>> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984
>> 100%
>> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
>> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
>> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>>
>> Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
>> latest Windows.
>>
>
> In actual fact Karl, Unix predates DOS by about 10 years.
>
Unix was developed by Kernigan & Richie as they were fed-up with the
clumsy way RSTS handled things and the first copies date from 1978 (or
1976 I forgot).
Joep

J

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default phantom files

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> I do agree there, maybe my phrasing was off, but it did seem to get the
>> point across. You find many more 'first timers' on the Ubuntu list
>> /because/ it's more user friendly. I started my kids and Mother out on
>> it, but they graduated to Gentoo. No more upgrades, just rolling updates.
>
> Ack! You put your _mother_ on Gentoo! That's just evil... Seriously, I
> just have rolling upgrades too - they'd roll more easily if Ubuntu used a
> repository structure like Debian's, where the current repo is always
> named "stable". I don't see the Gentoo advantage.

Yes, my mom is on Gentoo. And she loves it. I personally like it
better as I have more control over what is compiled and when. It's
personal preference.

My kids use Gentoo as well. But then, their geeks like their dad.

>
>>> otoh, claiming you can do everything in the CLI faster than I can do it
>>> in a GUI is just plain ignorant :-)
>> Okay, when I wrote that, I really meant more administration type things.
>
> LOL. I'm kidding you - you asked for flames. There are things I always do
> with the CLI. I haven't downloaded new packages except with aptitude in
> years.

I know, I just wanted to clarify, sometimes my brain is faster than my
fingers.

>
>>>> Whereas in linux, you have lots tools that do ONE thing, but does it
>>>> extremely well. In linux there is more than one way to skin a cat.
>>> Well, that would be an argument against having two databases that seem to
>>> do the same thing.
>> I don't see how that would be an argument against that.
>
> Yes, but JW thought the two databases were doing the same thing - if so,
> noone wouldn't need both. But you're not skinning one cat - you're
> skinning different ones.

Okay, not identical operations, but similar. I'm sure you understand
where I was going with that line of thought.



--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org