Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 AM
John Hubbard

Default Best way to share Thunderbird Profiles across multiple machines.

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Small correction:
> dovecot is an IMAP & POP3 server.
>
> I use Postfix (and before that sendmail) as my mailserver to which
> fetchmail delivers the mail.
> The sequence to get your mail from the ISP mailserver:
> ISP (mailserver)-> fetchmail (gets the mail) -> Postfix (delivers to
> mailbox) -> dovecot mailserver to distribute the mail to the individual
> mailboxes from the clients (each client has an account on the host machine).
> You need fetchmail as Postfix only delivers mail: the mail you send to
> your ISP mailserver and the mail received to the local mail delivery
> service i.e. dovecot.
> Joep

I have often wondered about sharing the profile across multiple
machines. I wonder if this approach would allow me to send/receive all
of my different email addresses. (i.e. jhubbard@school.edu,
jhubbard@work.com, and ender8282@yahoo.com).
Would I just setup fetchmail to fetch from each provider and then 'host'
multiple mailboxes on my server?

--
-john
There are only 10 kinds of people,

Old 09-09-2008, 01:32 AM
"Steve Lamb"

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 03:20:31PM -0500, Young wrote:
> What's the best way to make this work? Anyone here have this working
> already?

In all honesty, it is situations like this for which IMAP was designed.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do

Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM
damian

Albert Charron wrote:
Young
wrote:

cyanics@xmission.com wrote:

*
what portion of the profile are you
interested in sharing? plugin's? or basically having access to one
download archive for emails, across lots of computers?

***
Plugins, No. I don't use any now, and don't think the trouble of
multiple installations would be that big a headache for me.

Having one archive for emails, across multiple (3 for now) computers?
Yes.

Being able to check/download POP3 mail from any of the machines and
have it go into one archive? Yes!

Having more than one machine in use with Thunderbird open and active.
Yes! Just not in the same email message. I'm thinking this should be
something like record locking on a database.

If Thunderbird can't do this, is there another email client that can?

*
I would definitely recommend using a mail server for this... On one of
your Ubuntu machine, setup courrier-imap or dovecot and fetchmail...

That's the way I'm doing it for years now and I haven't got any
problems...

Basically, fetchmail will get the e-mails from your ISP (pop3) and your
thunderbirds will connect to your imap server

I'm very interested in this.
I've never heard of it before.

I'm still using POP email because I like having all of my emails on my
machine rather than on some third party computer. I also want to work
with my emails when I'm travelling on my laptop and not online so I am
currently synchronising profiles over several computers using unison.

This works quire well, but is a bit of a pain if I just want to send a
quick email from one machine but have to synchronise everything first!

How easy is this to set up? I considered myself a geek when I was a
windows user. Now I feel quite lacking in geekness since I moved over
to Linux and I really don't want to mess up all my email.

What would be the best/easiest program to use from the ones you have
mentioned?

Cheers

Damian

Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
"Mark Haney"

damian wrote:

> quick email from one machine but have to synchronise everything first!
>
> How easy is this to set up? I considered myself a geek when I was a
> windows user. Now I feel quite lacking in geekness since I moved over to
> Linux and I really don't want to mess up all my email.
>
> What would be the best/easiest program to use from the ones you have
> mentioned?
>
> Cheers
> Damian

Setting it up isn't hard, there are plenty of good tutorials online for
whatever IMAP server you want to use. And, I recommend this method as
well. If you have a box at home that can store the mail, having a
single point for packing up mail is much better.

For IMAP, I recommend Dovecot. It's always been reliable and easy to
set up. But any IMAP server will work fine. I've used most of them at
various times.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Albert Charron

damian wrote:

Albert Charron wrote:
[...]

This setup is pretty easy to setup. There are a lot of tutorials online
for that as stated by Mark Haney. For me, this setup was done YEARS ago
(in 2004-2005 I think) and had followed me through a migration from
another distro to Ubuntu 6.06 and now 8.04.

My exact setup is the following:

fetchmail get the e-mails from my various mail accounts and send them to
postfix for local processing. Postfix then uses procmail sends the mail
through spamassassin (spam filtering - this might not be the best
practice now, I think postfix can use spamassassin directly now, but I'm
not sure) and server side filtering/sorting (for example, mails from the
various mailing lists are directly sent to their directories on the
server. Thunderbird then connects to Dovecot through IMAP (when I'm at
home) or IMAPS (secure IMAP, when I'm not on my network). I also have
SquirrelMail that connects to the IMAP server too, which gives me a web
access to my mails from anywhere...

This setup might be overkill, I must admit, but it works great for
me... I think the only needed parts are Fetchmail, Dovecot and Postfix.
The other are only "candy" to add on the package

Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
damian

Albert Charron wrote:
> damian wrote:
>> Albert Charron wrote:
>>> I would definitely recommend using a mail server for this... On one
>>> of your Ubuntu machine, setup courrier-imap or dovecot and fetchmail...
>>>
>>> That's the way I'm doing it for years now and I haven't got any
>>> problems...
>>>
>>> Basically, fetchmail will get the e-mails from your ISP (pop3) and
>>> your thunderbirds will connect to your imap server
>>>
>> I'm very interested in this. I've never heard of it before.
>>
>> I'm still using POP email because I like having all of my emails on
>> my machine rather than on some third party computer. I also want to
>> work with my emails when I'm travelling on my laptop and not online
>> so I am currently synchronising profiles over several computers using
>> unison.
>>
>> This works quire well, but is a bit of a pain if I just want to send
>> a quick email from one machine but have to synchronise everything first!
>>
>> How easy is this to set up? I considered myself a geek when I was a
>> windows user. Now I feel quite lacking in geekness since I moved over
>> to Linux and I really don't want to mess up all my email.
>>
>> What would be the best/easiest program to use from the ones you have
>> mentioned?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Damian
> This setup is pretty easy to setup. There are a lot of tutorials
> online for that as stated by Mark Haney. For me, this setup was done
> YEARS ago (in 2004-2005 I think) and had followed me through a
> migration from another distro to Ubuntu 6.06 and now 8.04.
>
> My exact setup is the following:
>
> fetchmail get the e-mails from my various mail accounts and send them
> to postfix for local processing. Postfix then uses procmail sends the
> mail through spamassassin (spam filtering - this might not be the best
> practice now, I think postfix can use spamassassin directly now, but
> I'm not sure) and server side filtering/sorting (for example, mails
> from the various mailing lists are directly sent to their directories
> on the server. Thunderbird then connects to Dovecot through IMAP (when
> I'm at home) or IMAPS (secure IMAP, when I'm not on my network). I
> also have SquirrelMail that connects to the IMAP server too, which
> gives me a web access to my mails from anywhere...
>
> This setup might be overkill, I must admit, but it works great for
> me... I think the only needed parts are Fetchmail, Dovecot and
> Postfix. The other are only "candy" to add on the package

Thanks Albert and Mark!

Could you tell me what format the emails are stored on the main home
computer, and are they easy to back up. I'd be really worried about
breaking something or even not knowing how to retrieve stuff if
something broke outside of my control.

And as you both said that there are 'lots' of tutorials on the net,
could you recommend a good one?

Thanks again for your guidance.

I've actually not even got networking working properly on these machines
yet so I'll be flagging your responses to come back to later.

Oh, one more question:
If I move everything over to this system, what would/could I do with my
current emails that are all saved on each machine in thunderbird
(downloaded via POP and synchronised using unison).

Thanks
Damian

Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Albert Charron

damian wrote:

Albert Charron wrote:

[...]

The e-mails are stored in mbox or Maildir format (your choice, I use
Maildir) on the server. To back up my mails, I only copy ~/Maildir
folders... As for the mails you currently have in your Thunderbird, when
you first connect your profile to the IMAP server, you'll see the
folders you have now and the folders (under Local Folders) and the
folders on the server. You just have to move or copy the folders from
your local to the server using Thunderbird.

Now, for the tutorials, I'm sorry I cannot recommend one right now
because as I stated, my setup was done years ago using another Linux
distro (Mandrake/Mandriva at the time) and I only copied over and
adapted my configuration files. Also, as I remembered, I used multiple
tutorials that I "combined" to suit my needs.

Maybe you can start there:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts and use what you
need in that (the mail related sections). This guy uses Courrier-IMAP,
but you can easily replace Courrier-IMAP with Dovecot if you want to.
Both are good IMAP servers. I started with Courrier and migrated to
Dovecot when I installed 8.04... I also have another source, but it is
in French language. If you want it, I can post it too...