Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Robert Ashworth

Default newbie: help needed with playing dvd's

I have just (fortnight ago) converted from microsoft to ubuntu and
therefore don't really know what I'm up to yet but, I have a problem
that i need to sort out pertaining to dvd playing.

I have followed the instructions about playing dvd's by installing
gxine, libdvdnav4,etc and typing commands into the terminal etc but when
I try to play anything gxine engine fails to start and I get these
messages in the log output:-

08:25:41 AM: xine: found demuxer plugin: image demux plugin
08:25:41 AM: xine: found input plugin : file input plugin
08:25:40 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
08:25:40 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
08:25:40 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator

Please tell me what I have done wrong I need to learn

Bob

Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Caleb Marcus

I have just (fortnight ago) converted from microsoft to ubuntu and
therefore don't really know what I'm up to yet but, I have a problem
that i need to sort out pertaining to dvd playing.

I have followed the instructions about playing dvd's by installing
gxine, libdvdnav4,etc and typing commands into the terminal etc but when
I try to play anything gxine engine fails to start and I get these
messages in the log output:-

08:25:41 AM: xine: found demuxer plugin: image demux plugin
08:25:41 AM: xine: found input plugin : file input plugin
08:25:40 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
08:25:40 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
08:25:40 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator

Please tell me what I have done wrong I need to learn

Bob

You need to install libdvdcss2, which isn't in the repositories (some people will tell you it is, but that's because they've added 3rd-party repos without knowing it.) To install it, type the command < sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh > which will install the software necessary to read encrypted DVDs.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
James Takac

On Monday 10 December 2007 02:39:47 Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 08:36 +0000, Robert Ashworth wrote:
> > I have just (fortnight ago) converted from microsoft to ubuntu and
> > therefore don't really know what I'm up to yet but, I have a problem
> > that i need to sort out pertaining to dvd playing.
> >
> > I have followed the instructions about playing dvd's by installing
> > gxine, libdvdnav4,etc and typing commands into the terminal etc but when
> > I try to play anything gxine engine fails to start and I get these
> > messages in the log output:-
> >
> > 08:25:41 AM: xine: found demuxer plugin: image demux plugin
> > 08:25:41 AM: xine: found input plugin : file input plugin
> > 08:25:40 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
> > 08:25:40 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
> > 08:25:40 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
> >
> > Please tell me what I have done wrong I need to learn
> >
> > Bob
>
> You need to install libdvdcss2, which isn't in the repositories (some
> people will tell you it is, but that's because they've added 3rd-party
> repos without knowing it.) To install it, type the command <
> sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh > which will install the
> software necessary to read encrypted DVDs.

Hi Caleb

I'd suggest installing libdvdread3 which is in the repositories

James

Old 12-09-2007, 11:38 PM
debian

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 08:36 +0000, Robert Ashworth wrote:
> I have just (fortnight ago) converted from microsoft to ubuntu and
> therefore don't really know what I'm up to yet but, I have a problem
> that i need to sort out pertaining to dvd playing.
>
> I have followed the instructions about playing dvd's by installing
> gxine, libdvdnav4,etc and typing commands into the terminal etc but when
> I try to play anything gxine engine fails to start and I get these
> messages in the log output:-
>
> 08:25:41 AM: xine: found demuxer plugin: image demux plugin
> 08:25:41 AM: xine: found input plugin : file input plugin
> 08:25:40 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
> 08:25:40 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
> 08:25:40 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
>
> Please tell me what I have done wrong I need to learn
>
> Bob

go to this link
(ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdcss/1.2.9/deb) and download
the second file.

What you are downloading is a library called "libdvdcss" and its a dvd
decrypter which you will need for playing dvd's

hth
--cj

Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Caleb Marcus

(ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdcss/1.2.9/deb) and download
the second file.

What you are downloading is a library called "libdvdcss" and its a dvd
decrypter which you will need for playing dvd's

hth
--cj

He's already got that, I had him install it. Somehow it didn't help... I told him to try VLC instead.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:43 AM
James Takac

On Monday 10 December 2007 12:20:07 Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 17:38 -0700, debian wrote:
> > go to this link
> > (ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdcss/1.2.9/deb) and download
> > the second file.
> >
> > What you are downloading is a library called "libdvdcss" and its a dvd
> > decrypter which you will need for playing dvd's
> >
> > hth
> > --cj
>
> He's already got that, I had him install it. Somehow it didn't help... I
> told him to try VLC instead.

Hi Caleb

Likely the prog in Q is trying to libdvdread3 instead

James

Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 AM
debian

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 12:43 +1000, James Takac wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007 12:20:07 Caleb Marcus wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 17:38 -0700, debian wrote:
> > > go to this link
> > > (ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdcss/1.2.9/deb) and download
> > > the second file.
> > >
> > > What you are downloading is a library called "libdvdcss" and its a dvd
> > > decrypter which you will need for playing dvd's
> > >
> > > hth
> > > --cj
> >
> > He's already got that, I had him install it. Somehow it didn't help... I
> > told him to try VLC instead.
>

> Hi Caleb
>
> Likely the prog in Q is trying to libdvdread3 instead
>
> James

get vlc, vlc will make it much easier when it comes down to audio/video
since it has most of the codecs already installed for you, unlike Totem
(Ubuntu's default media player)

--cj

Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Caleb Marcus

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 12:43 +1000, James Takac wrote:

> He's already got that, I had him install it. Somehow it didn't help... I
> told him to try VLC instead.

Hi Caleb

Likely the prog in Q is trying to libdvdread3 instead

James

If libdvdread3 wasn't installed when he ran my command ( sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh ) then the command wouldn't have worked... he said that the command didn't help, but not that it gave him an error, so I'm guessing that that's not the issue. To the OP: If you DID receive an error when trying to run my command, please install libdvdread3 ( sudo aptitude install libdvdread3 ) and try again.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 AM
James Takac

On Monday 10 December 2007 12:51:21 debian wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 12:43 +1000, James Takac wrote:

> > > He's already got that, I had him install it. Somehow it didn't help...
> > > I told him to try VLC instead.
> >
> > Hi Caleb
> >
> > Likely the prog in Q is trying to libdvdread3 instead
> >
> > James
>
> get vlc, vlc will make it much easier when it comes down to audio/video
> since it has most of the codecs already installed for you, unlike Totem
> (Ubuntu's default media player)
>
> --cj

Hi cj

personally vlc is my fav but you still have to install a few codecs here and
there

James