Old 12-09-2007, 05:35 AM
Willis

Default Same result

Willis wrote:
> I got the same result as root.

I just ran the original path in the terminal, sudo
/usr/apps/local/esword4ubuntu/./runesword and it came back ".esword is
not owned by you." That sounds very much like a permission issue. And
of course, I still do not know how to change that in Linus Ubuntu.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:12 AM
David Vincent

Willis wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>> I got the same result as root.
>>

> I just ran the original path in the terminal, sudo
> /usr/apps/local/esword4ubuntu/./runesword and it came back ".esword is
> not owned by you." That sounds very much like a permission issue. And
> of course, I still do not know how to change that in Linus Ubuntu.

assuming the .esword file is in your home folder this should sort you out:

sudo chown username:username ~/.esword

make sure to replace username with your actual username. then try
running esword again and post the results.

locate .esword

will show you where that file actually is if it isn't in your home.

i've run into similar problems with vmware-server and tvtime. the first
time i actually ran them i ran them as root. since i had not become
root properly (with sudo -i) the config files were created in my home
but weren't owned by me. later attempts to run those programs were met
with mixed results.

hth

-d

Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Willis

David Vincent wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> Willis wrote:
>>
>>> I got the same result as root.
>>>

>> I just ran the original path in the terminal, sudo
>> /usr/apps/local/esword4ubuntu/./runesword and it came back ".esword is
>> not owned by you." That sounds very much like a permission issue. And
>> of course, I still do not know how to change that in Linus Ubuntu.
>>

> assuming the .esword file is in your home folder this should sort you out:
>
> sudo chown username:username ~/.esword
>
> make sure to replace username with your actual username. then try
> running esword again and post the results.
>
> locate .esword
>
> will show you where that file actually is if it isn't in your home.
>
> i've run into similar problems with vmware-server and tvtime. the first
> time i actually ran them i ran them as root. since i had not become
> root properly (with sudo -i) the config files were created in my home
> but weren't owned by me. later attempts to run those programs were met
> with mixed results.
>
> hth
>
> -d

The result was "no such directory." The directory is
/usr/local/apps/esword4linux and the executable is e-Sword.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Nils Kassube

Willis wrote:
> The result was "no such directory." The directory is
> /usr/local/apps/esword4linux and the executable is e-Sword.

In your previous mails you mentioned another directory:
/usr/apps/local/esword4ubuntu/

Although this seems to be an odd location you might want to check which
one is the right one.

Nils

Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Willis

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> The result was "no such directory." The directory is
>> /usr/local/apps/esword4linux and the executable is e-Sword.
>>

> In your previous mails you mentioned another directory:
> /usr/apps/local/esword4ubuntu/
>
> Although this seems to be an odd location you might want to check which
> one is the right one.
>

> Nils

/usr/local/apps/esword4ubuntu is correct. I've gone into root and
checked the permissions at that location by right clicking on the
e-Sword executable but everything I set it to it remains the same for
the user account, no access to the program. I went into usersand groups
but no matter how I set them the program is only usable in the root
account. It's a little tough to figure and I'm sure there must be an
easy answer.

The history is that before anyone told me to not operate from the root
on a daily basis I installed the e-sword program. I have since
uninstalled using Synaptic and reinstalled from the user account but to
no avail. Each time the utility is only available from the root account.
The Launcher is available in the yser account but it will not run the
program.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Wulfy

Willis wrote:
> /usr/local/apps/esword4ubuntu is correct. I've gone into root and
> checked the permissions at that location by right clicking on the
> e-Sword executable but everything I set it to it remains the same for
> the user account, no access to the program. I went into usersand groups
> but no matter how I set them the program is only usable in the root
> account. It's a little tough to figure and I'm sure there must be an
> easy answer.
>
> The history is that before anyone told me to not operate from the root
> on a daily basis I installed the e-sword program. I have since
> uninstalled using Synaptic and reinstalled from the user account but to
> no avail. Each time the utility is only available from the root account.
> The Launcher is available in the yser account but it will not run the
> program.

If it really needs to be owned by root, then I would create a group
"bible" and add all the users who will be using the program to it. Then
change the ownership of the file to root:bible. If the permissions
allow the group members to run the program (77x), it should work. You
may need to change the attributes of the folder as well.

I hope this helps.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Willis

Wulfy wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> /usr/local/apps/esword4ubuntu is correct. I've gone into root and
>> checked the permissions at that location by right clicking on the
>> e-Sword executable but everything I set it to it remains the same for
>> the user account, no access to the program. I went into usersand groups
>> but no matter how I set them the program is only usable in the root
>> account. It's a little tough to figure and I'm sure there must be an
>> easy answer.
>>
>> The history is that before anyone told me to not operate from the root
>> on a daily basis I installed the e-sword program. I have since
>> uninstalled using Synaptic and reinstalled from the user account but to
>> no avail. Each time the utility is only available from the root account.
>> The Launcher is available in the yser account but it will not run the
>> program.
>>

> If it really needs to be owned by root, then I would create a group
> "bible" and add all the users who will be using the program to it. Then
> change the ownership of the file to root:bible. If the permissions
> allow the group members to run the program (77x), it should work. You
> may need to change the attributes of the folder as well.
>
> I hope this helps.

Gentlemen, all of you,
I sincerely thank each and everyone of you. I have tried each and
every suggestion and just for the heck of it I reinstalled one more
time. I do own the program, according to the properties and the bible
group has benn created and every one was put into it and the group
permissions reflects those statements to be true. The last reinstall
was done from the user account and with all of these things being true,
I must log into the root account to use my Bible program.
All I can surmise is that one, you are a great group of people to
have stuck through this with a hard headed old man and two, we can't fix
this and we can only pray that the software writers will Address this
issue in the hear future.
Gentlemen, thank you!