Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 PM
David Cantrell

Default idea to automatic LVM naming

This changes the automatic partitioning code to name volume groups
using the hostname and naming logical volumes using the mount point.
So, instead of getting something like this:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

We would get:

/dev/vg_loki/lv_home

Some decisions I made:

1) If the mount point is '/', use 'lv_root' as the naming template.
2) If the filesystem is swap, use 'lv_swap' as the naming template.
3) Do not use the FQDN, just use the hostname minus the domain.

This doesn't completely solve every problem, but maybe we can get some
more unique and descriptive LVM names.

Thoughts?

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Jeremy Katz

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 04:08 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> This changes the automatic partitioning code to name volume groups
> using the hostname and naming logical volumes using the mount point.
[snip]
> This doesn't completely solve every problem, but maybe we can get some
> more unique and descriptive LVM names.
>
> Thoughts?

Now that we've moved partitioning later, this seems more reasonable. Do
we ever end up with localhost as the VG name with the patch?

Also, it has the downside of making things less consistent from machine
to machine if you have multiple machines. But perhaps the advantages of
moving drives from machine to machine outweigh that disadvantage

Jeremy

Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 AM
David Cantrell

This changes the automatic partitioning code to name volume groups
using the hostname and naming logical volumes using the mount point.

[snip]
This doesn't completely solve every problem, but maybe we can get
some

more unique and descriptive LVM names.

Thoughts?

Now that we've moved partitioning later, this seems more
reasonable. Do

we ever end up with localhost as the VG name with the patch?

With what I have there now, yes. I think if localhost is the
hostname, we should probably just fallback to doing VolGroupXX as we
have been.

Also, it has the downside of making things less consistent from
machine
to machine if you have multiple machines. But perhaps the
advantages of

moving drives from machine to machine outweigh that disadvantage

I mentioned that to people at FUDCon and the general consensus seemed
to be that people would prefer the name differences to gain the
capability of moving disks around more easily.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Seth Vidal

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 20:55 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 04:08 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> >> This changes the automatic partitioning code to name volume groups
> >> using the hostname and naming logical volumes using the mount point.
> > [snip]
> >> This doesn't completely solve every problem, but maybe we can get
> >> some
> >> more unique and descriptive LVM names.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > Now that we've moved partitioning later, this seems more
> > reasonable. Do
> > we ever end up with localhost as the VG name with the patch?
>
> With what I have there now, yes. I think if localhost is the
> hostname, we should probably just fallback to doing VolGroupXX as we
> have been.
>
> > Also, it has the downside of making things less consistent from
> > machine
> > to machine if you have multiple machines. But perhaps the
> > advantages of
> > moving drives from machine to machine outweigh that disadvantage
>
> I mentioned that to people at FUDCon and the general consensus seemed
> to be that people would prefer the name differences to gain the
> capability of moving disks around more easily.

Could you make the volgroup name be the same but put the hostname
+mountpointname in the lv name? for example:

/dev/volgroup00/myhost-srv
/dev/volgroup00/myhost-home
/dev/volgroup00/myhost-root

?

-sv

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Martin Sivak

Hi

> > > [snip]

We discussed that and I agree.

> > With what I have there now, yes. I think if localhost is the
> > hostname, we should probably just fallback to doing VolGroupXX as we
> > have been.
> >
> > > Also, it has the downside of making things less consistent from
> > > machine
> > > to machine if you have multiple machines. But perhaps the
> > > advantages of
> > > moving drives from machine to machine outweigh that disadvantage

If the user want to install lots of machines with some consistency, he
could use kickstart partitioning but I would use the hostname naming as
default.

> Could you make the volgroup name be the same but put the hostname
> +mountpointname in the lv name? for example:
>
> /dev/volgroup00/myhost-srv
> /dev/volgroup00/myhost-home
> /dev/volgroup00/myhost-root

Wouldn't that cause troubles when you move the drive to different
machine? LVM doesn't like two volgroups with same name in one box.

--
Martin Sivak
msivak@redhat.com

Red Hat Czech s.r.o.
http://cz.redhat.com
Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic
Registered in Brno under #CZ27690016

Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Seth Vidal

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 14:59 +0200, Martin Sivak wrote:

> If the user want to install lots of machines with some consistency, he
> could use kickstart partitioning but I would use the hostname naming as
> default.
>
> > Could you make the volgroup name be the same but put the hostname
> > +mountpointname in the lv name? for example:
> >
> > /dev/volgroup00/myhost-srv
> > /dev/volgroup00/myhost-home
> > /dev/volgroup00/myhost-root
>
> Wouldn't that cause troubles when you move the drive to different
> machine? LVM doesn't like two volgroups with same name in one box.

Right, I forgot about that.

yah then /dev/hostname/mountpoint

-sv

Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 20:55 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 04:08 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> >> This changes the automatic partitioning code to name volume groups
> >> using the hostname and naming logical volumes using the mount point.
> > [snip]
> >> This doesn't completely solve every problem, but maybe we can get
> >> some
> >> more unique and descriptive LVM names.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > Now that we've moved partitioning later, this seems more
> > reasonable. Do
> > we ever end up with localhost as the VG name with the patch?
>
> With what I have there now, yes. I think if localhost is the
> hostname, we should probably just fallback to doing VolGroupXX as we
> have been.

That sounds reasonable

> > Also, it has the downside of making things less consistent from
> > machine
> > to machine if you have multiple machines. But perhaps the
> > advantages of
> > moving drives from machine to machine outweigh that disadvantage
>
> I mentioned that to people at FUDCon and the general consensus seemed
> to be that people would prefer the name differences to gain the
> capability of moving disks around more easily.

It's been requested in bugzilla in the past as well. I just have a
suspicion/fear that we'll be switching one set of bugs/requests for
another one.

Jeremy

Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 09:15 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 14:59 +0200, Martin Sivak wrote:
> > If the user want to install lots of machines with some consistency, he
> > could use kickstart partitioning but I would use the hostname naming as
> > default.
> >
> > > Could you make the volgroup name be the same but put the hostname
> > > +mountpointname in the lv name? for example:
> > >
> > > /dev/volgroup00/myhost-srv
> > > /dev/volgroup00/myhost-home
> > > /dev/volgroup00/myhost-root
> >
> > Wouldn't that cause troubles when you move the drive to different
> > machine? LVM doesn't like two volgroups with same name in one box.
>
> Right, I forgot about that.
>
> yah then /dev/hostname/mountpoint

That's basically what the patch does -- /dev/vg_hostname/lv_mountpoint

Jeremy