Old 12-09-2007, 03:58 AM
Dave M

Default Motherboard Suggestions

I am thinking about upgrading my systems and have been looking at new
motherboards. A very confusing task! I am currently running V6.06LTS and
would like to stick with the LTS release (if possible).

The primary use of these systems is for recording/editing and playback of
multimedia. Here is my wish list:

All-in-one MicroATX form factor.
Open source drivers.
Intel Duo Core (3Ghz)
1066Mhz FSB (or 1333Mhz FSB)
2Gb Memory
SATA/PATA
USB
Fire-Wire
NIC
Audio (S/PDIF input would be nice)
Video (no gaming but need good DVD/Streaming video capability)

I would like to avoid downloading and compiling drivers. I am looking for
suggestions as to what motherboards work and what ones I should avoid.

I usually go for Intel when I can. But it looks like their current crop of
all-in-one MB's use the AGP3100 video chip and a PATA chip that is not yet
supported by Ubuntu.

If I cant find a MB with a supported video chip, what would be a good
choice for a video card?

TIA,
Dave M

-------------------------------
Dave M
Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
Ann Arbor, Mich. USA

First Sale doctrine under attack, libraries at risk:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005400.php

Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 AM
"Tim M"

Dave,
I see that no one has an answer to your questions. I have built, and
rebuild, several computers and have never had any problem terrible
problems getting Ubuntu working. I think as long as you stay away from
cutting edge technology you shouldn't have a problem, but then what do
I know LOL.
Tim

Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
jerry

Dave M wrote:
> I am thinking about upgrading my systems and have been looking at new
> motherboards. A very confusing task! I am currently running V6.06LTS and
> would like to stick with the LTS release (if possible).
>
> The primary use of these systems is for recording/editing and playback of
> multimedia. Here is my wish list:
>
> All-in-one MicroATX form factor.
> Open source drivers.
> Intel Duo Core (3Ghz)
> 1066Mhz FSB (or 1333Mhz FSB)
> 2Gb Memory
> SATA/PATA
> USB
> Fire-Wire
> NIC
> Audio (S/PDIF input would be nice)
> Video (no gaming but need good DVD/Streaming video capability)
>
> I would like to avoid downloading and compiling drivers. I am looking for
> suggestions as to what motherboards work and what ones I should avoid.
>
> I usually go for Intel when I can. But it looks like their current crop of
> all-in-one MB's use the AGP3100 video chip and a PATA chip that is not yet
> supported by Ubuntu.
>
> If I cant find a MB with a supported video chip, what would be a good
> choice for a video card?
>
> TIA,
> Dave M
>
> -------------------------------
> Dave M
> Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
> Ann Arbor, Mich. USA
>
> First Sale doctrine under attack, libraries at risk:
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005400.php

Have you tried sites like this? At least some of the item in you wish
list can be plugged in and then sort through the rest of the suggestions
it makes.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

Jerry