Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Bram Kuijper

Default how to change general java gui settings?

Hi all,

recently, the gui of java programs running on my various ubuntu pc's
started to look a bit different. Especially the height between different
rows in the gui became larger: menu items are now more apart, rows of
database programs are now more widely distant and text within those
lines is not properly vertically lined out, making it sometimes unreadable.

For an example of the problem, see the following screenshot of the
program JabRef:
http://merops.njn.nl/~bram/Screenshot-JabRef.png
Note especially the weird vertical spacing of the text.

Does anybody know if there is a standard gui setting in the java vm to
change 'row heights' in java? And how to change this?

thanks,

Bram

Old 09-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Bram Kuijper

Hi all,

sorry for reposting a question, but I did not get an answer last time:

recently, the gui of java programs running on my various ubuntu pc's
started to look a bit different. Especially the height between different
rows in the gui became larger: menu items are now more apart, rows of
database programs are now more widely distant and text within those
lines is not properly vertically lined out, making it sometimes unreadable.

For an example of the problem, see the following screenshot of the
program JabRef:
http://merops.njn.nl/~bram/Screenshot-JabRef.png
Note especially the weird vertical spacing of the text.

Does anybody know if there is a standard gui setting in the java vm to
change 'row heights' in java? And how to change things like
gui-appearance of java programs? Can that be done at all?

thanks,

Bram

Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
"Dustin Breese"

Bram, not sure if this will work or not, but it's worth a try --

Make sure you are using 96 DPI or 120 DPI fonts. To set this, go to
System->Preferences->Appearance. Then, select Font tab and click the
"Details..." button. Then, make sure DPI is set to 96 or 120.

Again, not sure if this will help, but it may be worth a try.

My fonts (on the Fonts tab) are also all set to "Best Shape" and also
are all a font size of "10".

Hope this helps!
Dustin