Old 12-08-2007, 08:02 PM
"Dave"

Default Installing Ubuntu 7.10 server via serial terminal

Hello,
I've been over the Ubuntu docs and googled, but i haven't been able to
find this. I've got a box i want to put Ubuntu 7.10 server on, it does not
have a monitor or keyboard on it as they are not needed and it's currently
not possible to plug one in. What i'd like to do is put in a bootable ubuntu
7.10 CD and install via a serial terminal, that is another box with a
keyboard and monitor connected to the headless machine via a nullmodem
serial cable. Is this doable? If not with the standard 7.10 server CD is it
doable if i remaster the disk and create a custom one?
Thanks.
Dave.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Nils Kassube

Dave wrote:
> I've got a box i want to put Ubuntu 7.10 server on, it
> does not have a monitor or keyboard on it as they are not needed and
> it's currently not possible to plug one in. What i'd like to do is put
> in a bootable ubuntu 7.10 CD and install via a serial terminal, that is
> another box with a keyboard and monitor connected to the headless
> machine via a nullmodem serial cable. Is this doable? If not with the
> standard 7.10 server CD is it doable if i remaster the disk and create
> a custom one?

I don't think you can do it without a custom CD. Just as an idea to save
some work: You could install everything you need for the server on a
virtual machine. Don't forget to include openssh-server so you can later
access the server via network (I forgot it the first time when I was in a
similar situation). Write a disk image from that installation to a file.
Then make a CD (or better a CDRW if it doesn't work at the first attempt)
which automatically writes this disk image to the hard disk. That way you
don't have to do a lot of customization - you only have to find out how
to make a bootable CD (with isolinux) which can write a file to the hard
disk.

Nils

Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
"Dave"

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I don't use vm images and i was hoping this would
be just like bringing a CD around with me. Any way to remaster the original
disk?
Thanks.
Dave.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 PM